Vacation picks

UnderPaidSucka

Im a full time package car driver in the North Jersey district.
I started preload in 1999.
Started as a cover driver 2005.
Went full time with my own route in 2007.

What senority/hire date should management be using for my vacation pick? Currently they are using my 2007 date.
I have not had a summer vacation yet since 2005 and Im starting to get pissed. Especially hearing that they might be using the wrong senority list.

Thanks guys.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The preload and driver vacation schedules would be two separate lists with each using their own seniority dates for selection.

I think your mgt team is using the right date.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Check your supplement. In the Atlantic Area vacation is by your original hire date, not your full time seniority date, so here it would be 1999.

UPSGUY72

What senority/hire date should management be using for my vacation pick? Currently they are using my 2007 date.
I have not had a summer vacation yet since 2005 and Im starting to get pissed. Especially hearing that they might be using the wrong senority list.

Thanks guys.

Were you a fulltime cover in 2005 ??? I ask this becasue what is comsidered a cover driver is different all over the country. I'm a full time driver just don't have my own route so I'm considered a cover driver and my full time senority date is the day I started driver school. If your were a full time cover driver in 2005 I would think that would your senority date.

It isn't going to be 1999 that is your company senority date which only gives you bidding senority.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Here, Central Pa, it is your hire date for number of vacation weeks and your FT driver date for vacation selection and bids.

Last edited:

UnderPaidSucka

my upstate ny rider says.. "For vacation selection only, vacation selections by center seniority, within the bulding, classification shall prevail."
It's been a long day! *** does that mean exactly?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It means you bid in order of seniority in your current classification (FT driver). 2005 is your date. BTW, I misunderstood your original post (long day :)) and gave a garbled reply above. We get our number of vacation weeks based on our hire date, we bid those weeks the same way you do.

johnoutdoors

Im in NNJ too, your total weeks are by your hire date and pick order goes by full time date. Talk to your steward and HR to get yourself on the list in the right spot. Dont stop until you get it right for yourself.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I agree with Upstate.

Your vacation weeks will be dependent upon how many years you have COMPANY seniority

However, the vacation lists for driving friend/T and the order are determined by your friend/T seniority date.

In our building, P/T inside hub cannot pick with friend/T inside hub. There are two lists.

I agree with Upstate.

Your vacation weeks will be dependent upon how many years you have COMPANY seniority

However, the vacation lists for driving friend/T and the order are determined by your friend/T seniority date.

In our building, P/T inside hub cannot pick with friend/T inside hub. There are two lists.
UpSate may not be correct, but then he might. If Underpaid's cover driving was as a PT cover driver UpState is correct. If Underpaid was a FT cover then '05 is his seniority date.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UpSate may not be correct, but then he might. If Underpaid's cover driving was as a PT cover driver UpState is correct. If Underpaid was a FT cover then '05 is his seniority date.

went full-time...my interpetation was that he was not full-time before this...2007...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I agree, and my point is the same as it always is. This forum is a terribled place to solicite contractual advice. Contact your LOCAL union officials and have them show you the applicable language. I contend that upstate is wrong, like many others, for assuming they know the answer when they don't have enough information. Hell, even within my building in the morning, ask 5 guys a contract question and your're liable to get 5 different answers. Ask the people who are paid to know, and even then, have them show you the language.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bubblehead, I will make the following bet with you:

If I am right and you are wrong you agree not to post here for an entire week.

I will do the same if you are right and I am wrong.

Deal?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubblehead, I will make the following bet with you:

If I am right and you are wrong you agree not to post here for an entire week.

I will do the same if you are right and I am wrong.

Deal?
Good Lord! Your so hung up on being a know it all you can't grasp what I'm trying to say. Reread my last post where I conceded that you may be right. I give you a 5O/5O chance. You simply don't have enough information. So no, I'm not interested in flipping coins with you.