Vacation question

artist

When do they suppose to pay you for vacation? If I were to take vacation next week am I supposed to get a check or a direct deposit this week?

ol'browneye

It used to be the payday before vacation started but now we get ours 2 weeks ahead of time. I am on vacation next week and I got my check last week.

JonFrum

Here's what the Contract says . . .
Article 17 - Paid for Time

. . . Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air. . . .

All employees must receive their vacation pay in a separate check before taking vacation. Vacation checks for an employee, who is taking a properly scheduled vacation in accordance with the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum, will be at the operating center on Monday of the week prior to the employee’s vacation week(s). This is to ensure that the employee receives his/her pay prior to taking his/her vacation. The employee will be shown his/her check upon request, but will not receive the check until the regular scheduled pay day. . . .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's the way it is supposed to work, providing that your mgt team inputs your vacation in to the system in a timely manner; unfortunately, this did not happen for me and a retiree in January. I took 2 weeks off mid-January to go visit my daughter in NC and to take care of some business. I did not get my checks 2 weeks prior, informed mgt, and we assumed that they would be there the week prior. They weren't and I ended up filing a grievance and received a day's pay (1/2 the guarantee for 2 days) as a result. In the case of the retiree, it was much worse as he did not receive any of his vacation pay (6 weeks) upon his retirement. He ended up getting a full weeks' vacation pay for his grievance.

The sad part is that he and his wife had sent out bills based upon getting those vacation checks and they had to do a lot of scrambling. I pay my bills online so it was much easier for me to move things around but it was still work that neither of us should have had to do if UPS had simply taken care of their part of the bargain.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The new practice of getting the vacation check two weeks prior started with this latest contract.
It is my understanding it is done to give the company some extra time to rectify a discrepancies before the actual vacation week.
Really it's a pretty good idea.
If you aren't made whole by the last day before your vacation, absolutely file for penalty pay.