Vacation selection question?

SnakePlissken

How does it work at your center?

My father worked at a power plant and was in the IBEW. The senior person picked first and picked only one vacation week. Then it would cycle around until everyone picked one vacation. The whole process would start all over again until everyone had made their selections.

I think this is how it works in most places.

However, at our center, say the senior person has 8 vacation weeks to select, they pick all 8 they want first. Then the second highest seniority person picks all they have next. Then the third highest seniority person picks however many vacation weeks they have and so on and so forth.

I'm curious as to how the vacation selection process works all around the country.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

My father worked at a power plant and was in the IBEW. The senior person picked first and picked only one vacation week. Then it would cycle around until everyone picked one vacation. The whole process would start all over again until everyone had made their selections.

However, at our center, say the senior person has 8 vacation weeks to select, they pick all 8 they want first. Then the second highest seniority person picks all they have next. Then the third highest seniority person picks however many vacation weeks they have and so on and so forth.

I'm curious as to how the vacation selection process works all around the country.

Just like this.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Anyone who's bidding their vacation weeks will bid whatever their allotted vacation weeks at the same time. I would figure it's the same company wide

SnakePlissken

I wasn't sure what with all the different supplements and "past practice" language. I thought that it may be different in certain parts of the world.

browntroll

this is how it works at my hub also, unless you are special. my back up guy for pick off is only allowed vacation weeks that any pick off guy is not taking even though he is
in the unload everyday. i saw once when he was picking his vacation the full time sup looked at the unload list first then looked at the pick off list to make sure no one on from
pick off had picked any of the same days. so if i want to teach them a lesson i just call in sick on my backups vacation week, the pissed off look on their faces is worth it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Exactly how it works. Get ready to have no time off in the summer if your at the bottom of the food chain son lol. They did that to us last year at bid time. we were so short on drivers I couldn't get a week off this summer til this week. That's a bunch of bs. So after that and early dis year they put 8 on full time. I was like you guys are a bunch of :censored2:s lol. They did it on purpose so they wouldn't be short on drivers. And guess what they were still short on drivers cause the fatt head woman in human resources didn't get temp drivers on the road fast enough. Guess you know I made mad stupid bank this summer because of their stupidity lol. The more they screw up the more money I make is how I look at it.

BMWSauber1991

Sounds like what the op described should be the way it works. Still gives preference to high seniority employees but it still gives low seniority people some decent selections.

My fathers company did the same as Snake's but in 2 week picks.

Our vacation situation is the same as described. Top to bottom, pick all at once, by FT seniority.

afterthought

That is why I must pick the dark winter or near peak months.

It is the pecking order of seniority.
That is why I encourage Caribbean tours in the late fall, as they are cheaper to the Seniors.

So be it, One day I WILL BE SENIOR!!!

It's a vicious circle. You get screwed when you start. Then you screw the new ones when you get some time on the job. If i got 6 weeks. I prefer two weeks back to back. Two in the beginning of the year. Two in the summer. Two in the fall. In 177 we also get a option week in may instead of option days. I would lump it in.

It's a vicious circle. You get screwed when you start. Then you screw the new ones when you get some time on the job. If i got 6 weeks. I prefer two weeks back to back. Two in the beginning of the year. Two in the summer. Two in the fall. In 177 we also get a option week in may instead of option days. I would lump it in.
its just like being a newlywed..you get screwed at first..lol

Same

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I always bid my optional and sick week. Rather have 2 extra weeks off. Makes a big difference when your getting whooped like a dog everyday. I don't hardly ever take off unless they bust out my route on a mon. Rather take an unpaid day than take a sick or optional for it.