Vacation selection

Scoot

Can anyone explain why we are forced to select vacations in November for the following year? Other than a big trip, who has any idea what they are doing 6 to 10 months from now? We used to select in Nov for the months of Jan-March and the rest of the year was selected in February. They changed it a couple of years ago and I have no idea why.

This is so they can plan for the next year giving the higher seniority workers higher priority of vacation selection. Also making it to where they dont have too many people out at one time.

Scoot

This is so they can plan for the next year giving the higher seniority workers higher priority of vacation selection. Also making it to where they dont have too many people out at one time.
The higher seniority workers get the higher priority of selection regardless of when you actually pick them. Likewise, the limits of how many can be off are established contractually. Why does it need to be done so early?

They plan early. They can only have a certain amount out at one time in a certain area.

If you work in Small Sort and only 5 can be out on vacation at one time. 8 people apply for the same week. the Top 5 highest seniority people will get that week off. The other 3 will have to pick another week.

Earlier you submit isnt the better as it really doesnt matter.

Scoot

They plan early. They can only have a certain amount out at one time in a certain area.

If you work in Small Sort and only 5 can be out on vacation at one time. 8 people apply for the same week. the Top 5 highest seniority people will get that week off. The other 3 will have to pick another week.
Earlier you submit isnt the better as it really doesnt matter.
You are missing my point. I know how the system works. It's just ridiculous that it happens so early. Our driver sup just inputs the vacations into his spreadsheet-type program and prints a report showing what everyone selected. Are you really telling me they need to plan 9 months out for who is off next August? They don't plan for who is off next week until the Friday before.....

bumped

I think its done at one time because of all the "paper work" time. It wastes time doing the vacations twice.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think its done at one time because of all the "paper work" time. It wastes time doing the vacations twice.

We have a winner!

Bidding vacations in two cycles for one calendar year may work well in a small center but doing so in a large center would be a nightmare.

We pick our vacations in January for the year. They do ask anyone who is planning on taking a vacation in the first quarter to do so now to ensure that it gets in to the system. There are also fewer people who want to take vacations during that time so seniority is not normally an issue.

CharleyHustle

Actually, another reason is in larger centers many lower senority employees wouldn't select any weeks from Jan-March. When the second selection period came there weren't enough weeks left for everyone to get all their weeks in, and they have to get paid off, with no scheduled vacation. Now the low senority are forced to take the weeks that are left, mostly in Jan. and Feb.

over9five

Staff member
I hate how they schedule vacations so late here. We're bidding vacation weeks the end of February for the May to May period.
Makes it hard to book Summer cruises/hotels/air with such short notice.

NHDRVR

We pick in early April (around there any ways) for the period of May 1st to April 30th. I always thought it would be good to pick every 6 months. You have your # of weeks in a UPS calendar year, you take what you want in the 1st 6 mos. and, if you have any left, you pick again the remaining 6 mos. It is no different that doing it for the year and it gives a little flexibility to everyone.
I'm sure there is a corporate reason why this isn't done...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I hate how they schedule vacations so late here. We're bidding vacation weeks the end of February for the May to May period.
Makes it hard to book Summer cruises/hotels/air with such short notice.

Definitely. Last year I didn't pick vacations until April for the May to May period.

Can anyone explain why we are forced to select vacations in November for the following year? Other than a big trip, who has any idea what they are doing 6 to 10 months from now? We used to select in Nov for the months of Jan-March and the rest of the year was selected in February. They changed it a couple of years ago and I have no idea why.
It's a Hoffa concession.