Vacation week #5?

iruhnman630

I reached 15 years of service in May of this year. At the time, one of my fellow co-workers pointed out that I will get my 5th week of vacation, but I forgot to pursue the issue.

So here I am in the middle of my final two weeks of being a lazy bum, and I'm thinking one more week between now and peak sounds awfully tempting.

Was he right, that we get our 5th week at 15 years service?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I believe that when you reached 15 yrs of service, You are on your 16 yr, You should have got it when you finished your 14th, sept of that yr. So I could be wrong but I think they may owe you two. Sometimes it gets conviently sp over looked. Have your steward check, and happy vacation!!

iruhnman630

It never occurred to me that I would earn the 5th week this year, or I would've scheduled it.

I assume the week will get paid, but I'm hoping they'll let me use the time off.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
yeah it never occured to me either until on my 21st yr, I still wasnt getting 6, and my steward figured it out. I got a bunch of back pay and a few wks off. It was a beautiful thing.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm gonna take my fifth off next week and the sixth one in November. iruhnman630, volumn is a little down now, I hope you can get number five scheduled off!

metrophillyslub

I reached 15 years of service in May of this year. At the time, one of my fellow co-workers pointed out that I will get my 5th week of vacation, but I forgot to pursue the issue.

So here I am in the middle of my final two weeks of being a lazy bum, and I'm thinking one more week between now and peak sounds awfully tempting.

Was he right, that we get our 5th week at 15 years service?
20 years= 5 weeks, not 15.

Ms.PacMan

What everyone else said...

You earned your 5th vacation week on your anniversary day in May.

The employee picks it along with the other weeks for the upcoming year but must select a week that is AFTER the anniversary date.

chev

Nightcrawler
metrophillyslub is right.
If you reached 15 years in May, doesn't that mean you picked up your 4th week of vacation not including your optional week.
From what I understand, your 3 weeks could be taken any time but the 4th would have to be taken after May. Once everyone on the seniority list is done picking their regular vacations, you would then have the option to use 5 of your personal holidays as your 5th week of vacation if you so desired.
I have a January seniority date so it's easy for me. I have 19 years in and have 4 weeks vacation and the option to use personals as my fifth. Can't wait to pick up #5. :happy-very:
1 Week every 5 years.
Years / weeks vacation
01 = 1
05 = 2
10 = 3
15 = 4
20 = 5
25 = 6

2Slow

Doesn't the 15 years have to be before May 1st?
That is my recollection. Poster said he reached 15 years in May which would mean he gets 4+1 next year.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Doesn't the 15 years have to be before May 1st?
That is my recollection. Poster said he reached 15 years in May which would mean he gets 4+1 next year.

As stated in the post above yours,, at 15 years you get 4 weeks. When he picked vacation back in Feb (?) it should have been marked 3+1 with the +1 being chosen after your seniority date.

2Slow

As stated in the post above yours,, at 15 years you get 4 weeks. When he picked vacation back in Feb (?) it should have been marked 3+1 with the +1 being chosen after your seniority date.

That reminds me, when I have advanced to the next level, the pick sheet said something like 3+1+1, or 4+1+1.

But that could easily be a regional or local practice...

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Hmmm, This is my 20th year. My anniversary date is in October, but I already used my 5th vacation week, and my option week this year. It's always worked this way for me. I've never had to wait until after my anniversary date to use the extra week.

chev

Nightcrawler
Hmmm, This is my 20th year. My anniversary date is in October, but I already used my 5th vacation week, and my option week this year. It's always worked this way for me. I've never had to wait until after my anniversary date to use the extra week.
You would be the exception to the rule then my friend. :peaceful:
Somehow you have gotten away with it and I commend you for that. :wink2:
Just don't tell the boss.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
yes but when you picked your vacations you should have picked your 5 weeks than.

Problem is, they don't always get it right, I kept getting cashed out a week, for like 3 years kept telling the manager I should have another week, but it wasn't on the schedule when I picked and he insisted I didn't have another week. Finally got that straightened out.

Now this year, same thing, I thought I should get a 6th week, but not on the schedule, only allowed to pick five, now my pay stub says I have 45 days of vacation time left.

How do I fix this?

What'dyabringmetoday???

Problem is, they don't always get it right, I kept getting cashed out a week, for like 3 years kept telling the manager I should have another week, but it wasn't on the schedule when I picked and he insisted I didn't have another week. Finally got that straightened out.

Now this year, same thing, I thought I should get a 6th week, but not on the schedule, only allowed to pick five, now my pay stub says I have 45 days of vacation time left.

How do I fix this?
Don't fix it. If you have 45 days of vacation left, I would use them. No peak for you.:happy2:

tritese

tritese

The waiting until after the anniversay went out the door here a few years ago (changed either in last contract or one before that) and now everyone earns the vacation on January 1st. Next year will be twenty for me and I will get 5 vacation weeks plus an option. I will not have to wait until July (anniversary) for the fifth week.

david cassin

dublinbrown
we get up to 23 days after 8 years with the company
i am with ups 20 years and i won't get any more extras until we fight tooth & nail with union v ups..
:sad-very: