Verification of dependents

oldupsman

I received a letter today from UPS asking me to send proof of verification of all my
dependents for my health care. I still have my health insurance with UPS although it
certainly isn't as good as it was before the last contract.

Anyway they want me to send a copy of last years tax return with the personal info
blacked out to prove my wife is still a dependent and therefore eligible for health care coverage.

It is supposed to be sent to the department of verification at some p.o.
box in Ill. I'm going to send it certified mail with a return receipt. Anybody else get this letter?

oldupsman

Why waste the money by sending it certified?
Suppose it gets lost in the regular mail? We're talking about my health benefits here. What's to keep them from
saying they never got it? They obviously don't trust me by asking for this info which has remained constant for almost 25
years. Why should I trust them. It cost me 7 bucks. Big deal. I want a signed receipt. Screw them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Suppose it gets lost in the regular mail? We're talking about my health benefits here. What's to keep them from
saying they never got it? They obviously don't trust me by asking for this info which has remained constant for almost 25
years. Why should I trust them. It cost me 7 bucks. Big deal. I want a signed receipt. Screw them.

I get the same letter from my local every year. I fill it out, sign it, date it and send it back by regular mail.

Certified mail to a PO Box only means that it was received. It still has to be forwarded to the proper department and processed.

It has nothing to do with not trusting you.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I get that letter every year, or the bills start coming back unpaid, and then I have to prove my husband is on my health insurance and has no other insurance, coz ya know we are all a bunch of liars.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Let me ask you both the same question:

If your spouses were no longer eligible for coverage, would you notify them of that change all on your own?

This, coming from the guy who encourages his helpers to apply for a 22% discount from Verizon even though they will be laid off at Christmas.

Freaking priceless.

Ms.PacMan

Insurance companies will withdraw payments if they find out the person shouldn't have been covered. Better to be honest than to end up with a very large medical bill.

oldupsman

Let me ask you both the same question:

If your spouses were no longer eligible for coverage, would you notify them of that change all on your own?

Well of course. Lying about something like that will end up causing you nothing but trouble. And in all the years I worked for UPS and through the years I've been retired,
I've never received a letter like this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well of course. Lying about something like that will end up causing you nothing but trouble. And in all the years I worked for UPS and through the years I've been retired,
I've never received a letter like this.

Seriously? You didn't have kids that went to college? I received a letter every year that my kids were in college and up until the youngest turned 26.

Exactly.
I would not tell the insurance anything.
I figure UPS/AETNA/MetLife, etc. owes me everything I can get.

The letters are sent because unfortunately everyone is not as honest and forthcoming as you and I.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Seriously? You didn't have kids that went to college? I received a letter every year that my kids were in college and up until the youngest turned 26." (upstate)

You seem amazed .......plenty of people have kids that don't go to college. Many have kids that don't even graduate from high school. It's called reality........come out of your bubble.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He still should have received the same letter where he would have indicated that his kids were not going to college and therefore were not eligible for coverage.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I also got a letter every year to make sure my kids were still in college, until fortunately for them even with college, they were on their own with their own insurance at 18-20

oldupsman

Thank you Upstate. When I put it directly into my computer on Google it came up as not found. When I
hit the site on the post I just put up it came right up. And from what I can see even thought the letter
said there has been a change of dependents when I went to the site my wife came up as my sole dependent
which is correct. Why the letter says there has been a change I have no idea. Just to scare the hell out of me
for fun I guess. Photog is probably behind this sick joke.