Veteran sorter snapped on me

Nightside

Ok, a little back story first to set this up. This sorter I work with, has worked there for years, comes in 15-20 mins late every single night. Supervisors can't really do anything to him because he has been there for so long. Anyways, we have always gotten along since I've been there since June this year. We laugh, shoot the breeze, tell jokes..etc...

Last night in our facility, it was a little cold, so the fans were off. But like any other day, once we start getting into it, it gets hot. I had my unloader turn my fan on. After about 15 mins the fan was turned off. I didn't know why. And I could see it wouldn't be easy for the unloader to go turn it back on, so i ran over and did. After about 5 mins, the fan gets turned off again. So I yell over, thinking someone is messing with me, "hey who keeps turning off the fan?" And the veteran sorter said he did. That he was cold. So I let it go, since it was him.

A few minutes later, I feel the fan going and all of a sudden he turns around and yells at me. "Why did you tell them to turn the friend'n fan on mother friend...Next thing I know, he is in my face cussing me out, threatening to kick my :censored2:, saying he's going to find me in the parking lot. Just going off on me. I wasn't backing down though, so I was yelling right back at him, trying to explain that I didn't tell anyone to turn it back on, but he wasn't having none of it. Finally another sorter comes over and pulls him off of me, and he goes over and turns it off. I then went and got my sup and told him what happened. He and the full time sup talked to him, and my sup says to me just to stay away from eachother. How about keep him away from me or send this hot head home for the night?

So all in all, this is how I look at it. I don't care how long you have worked there, start coming in to work on time then you'll get some say in whether or not a fan stays on or off. I had that fan on 15 mins before he ever stepped foot in the building. Am I wrong? Thoughts on this?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I get annoyed when people touch my fan....I'll run it everyday...and as the weather gets colder...the PT sups like to turn them off as they walk by, because they get cold....too friggin bad, don't touch it!

Whether he shows up late or not everyday isn't the point, nor is it any of your business. Regarding the fan, tell the sorter to pound sand....I would. If he's cold because of the fan...he can easily put on a sweatshirt. How are you supposed to cool off without a fan?? The next time he gets in your face and threatens you....tell your FT sup you want to file a complaint, and ask for your steward.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Am I wrong? Thoughts on this?
You're wrong. When he just jumped to the conclusion that it was your doing instead of yelling right back at him you should have stayed calm and just in a normal speaking voice tell him that you had nothing to do with it that time. He probably would have felt like an ass and apologized. End of story.
Next point...like you said he's been there a long time and you guys always chatted and got along so you know it's out of character for him to get upset at you. As such you give the guy a pass and some room. You don't know what's going on in his life. He could have just had a family member get diagnosed with cancer or something. You never know.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You're wrong. When he just jumped to the conclusion that it was your doing instead of yelling right back at him you should have stayed calm and just in a normal speaking voice tell him that you had nothing to do with it that time. He probably would have felt like an ass and apologized. End of story.
Next point...like you said he's been there a long time and you guys always chatted and got along so you know it's out of character for him to get upset at you. As such you give the guy a pass and some room. You don't know what's going on in his life. He could have just had a family member get diagnosed with cancer or something. You never know.
I disagree. If an hourlie yells at me...I'm going to yell back. I'm no stranger to getting pissed at new people....cursing is one thing, threats are another. No excuse for that!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I get annoyed when people touch my fan....I'll run it everyday...and as the weather gets colder...the PT sups like to turn them off as they walk by, because they get cold....too friggin bad, don't touch it!
I run hot and when I sorted at pickoff up in the rafters I ran the fan pretty much year round because heat rises. When I sorted in the sort aisle it was closer to ground level so in the winter I usually didn't run the fan even though I would have liked to because the way the fans are set up in the sort aisle the fan would hit like 3 other sorters. If it's summer and hot out, run the fan, oh well. If it's not summer you have to sometimes suck it up and think of those around you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I run hot and when I sorted at pickoff up in the rafters I ran the fan pretty much year round because heat rises. When I sorted in the sort aisle it was closer to ground level so in the winter I usually didn't run the fan even though I would have liked to because the way the fans are set up in the sort aisle the fan would hit like 3 other sorters. If it's summer and hot out, run the fan, oh well. If it's not summer you have to sometimes suck it up and think of those around you.
He can suck it up and work faster or put on a sweatshirt. If I'm dripping sweat in a t-shirt..I can't take it off. The fan is my only recourse....if someone asks to turn it off is one thing..and i can compromise....but if it's on, it's on for a reason....don't just shut it off.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I disagree. If an hourlie yells at me...I'm going to yell back. I'm no stranger to getting pissed at new people....cursing is one thing, threats are another. No excuse for that!
After seeing a few guys get fired for yelling in someone's face as "workplace violence" even though nothing physical happened I learned quickly to keep my :censored2: together. I still certainly talked :censored2: to people who pissed me off.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
He can suck it up and work faster or put on a sweatshirt. If I'm dripping sweat in a t-shirt..I can't take it off. The fan is my only recourse....if someone asks to turn it off is one thing..and i can compromise....but if it's on, it's on for a reason....don't just shut it off.
I agree. They shouldn't just shut it off. I can't respond other than that cuz you distracted me with the taking your shirt off thing ;)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
After seeing a few guys get fired for yelling in someone's face as "workplace violence" even though nothing physical happened I learned quickly to keep my :censored2: together. I still certainly talked :censored2: to people who pissed me off.
When I get pissed at work...I'm known to yell and cuss. But I don't get in anyone's face, and I never threaten. And when I do cool off....if I was wrong, I will make it a point to apologize. But i'm usually not wrong....I work with some real idiots...lol

big_uns.gif

Z

ZQXC

When I get pissed at work...I'm known to yell and cuss. But I don't get in anyone's face, and I never threaten. And when I do cool off....if I was wrong, I will make it a point to apologize. But i'm usually not wrong....I work with some real idiots...lol

...... a long distance verbal abuser

"Don't make me come down to that sort aisle. I'll rip your head off and sh** in the hole between your shoulders."

Last edited by a moderator:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Ok, a little back story first to set this up. This sorter I work with, has worked there for years, comes in 15-20 mins late every single night. Supervisors can't really do anything to him because he has been there for so long. Anyways, we have always gotten along since I've been there since June this year. We laugh, shoot the breeze, tell jokes..etc...

Last night in our facility, it was a little cold, so the fans were off. But like any other day, once we start getting into it, it gets hot. I had my unloader turn my fan on. After about 15 mins the fan was turned off. I didn't know why. And I could see it wouldn't be easy for the unloader to go turn it back on, so i ran over and did. After about 5 mins, the fan gets turned off again. So I yell over, thinking someone is messing with me, "hey who keeps turning off the fan?" And the veteran sorter said he did. That he was cold. So I let it go, since it was him.

A few minutes later, I feel the fan going and all of a sudden he turns around and yells at me. "Why did you tell them to turn the friend'n fan on mother friend...Next thing I know, he is in my face cussing me out, threatening to kick my :censored2:, saying he's going to find me in the parking lot. Just going off on me. I wasn't backing down though, so I was yelling right back at him, trying to explain that I didn't tell anyone to turn it back on, but he wasn't having none of it. Finally another sorter comes over and pulls him off of me, and he goes over and turns it off. I then went and got my sup and told him what happened. He and the full time sup talked to him, and my sup says to me just to stay away from eachother. How about keep him away from me or send this hot head home for the night?

So all in all, this is how I look at it. I don't care how long you have worked there, start coming in to work on time then you'll get some say in whether or not a fan stays on or off. I had that fan on 15 mins before he ever stepped foot in the building. Am I wrong? Thoughts on this?
I would have told him get out of my grill before I knock you out. You wanna go outside and settle this lets go right now. Let me punch out for my break and then ill whoop you like a dog. If he just stayed there and didn't do anything I woulda really pissed him off and been like are you coming dude so I can knock you da :censored2: out or what, I aint got time to play with you dude, I gotta knock you out in ten minutes cause I have to get back inside to work lol. Call the bluff on him and play the voodoo mind game with him. Some people like that don't understand nothing but an :censored2: whooping or to get knocked out, sad but true.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Shouldn't have yelled back. Killed any chance of anything substantial happening. Just stay away from him