Veteran Status

fedex_rtd

Why the sudden interest in employee Veteran Status. I know an email was sent out to management, and they want us to fill out a form on the HR website, that's cool, but why the big push???

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
They sent out a message today at my station asking veterans to bring some photos or memorabilia to have a celebration for them on Veterans Day. :usaflag2:

CJinx

Veteran's day is just around the corner. HR wants to recognize and feature employees with military service backgrounds.

fedex_rtd

I just don't want to be a participant in some PR campaign.

If the company really wanted to do something nice for veterans on veterans day, then they could offer us the day off with pay, pay veterans OT for that one day. Other than that I really don't need or want any flag waving for my duty.

El Morado Diablo

If the company really wanted to do something nice for veterans on veterans day, then they could offer us the day off with pay, pay veterans OT for that one day. Other than that I really don't need or want any flag waving for my duty.

I agree 100%.

Less than 13% of our adult population have served in our armed forces. The numbers are dropping as our WWII and Korean War vets pass away. In the last two generations only 1% of the population has served. I would much rather see these people get a paid day off on a holiday celebrating them for their service than the other 99% who didn't serve their country.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I wouldn't bother participating in any FedEx "veterans day" activities. All they want is to get a photo of you in front of a cake or, something, so they can blast the media with how thoughtful FedEx is about their vets.

BTW, thank you to all veterans.

CJinx

You already are. Whenever Fedex is participating in a job fair, they do make a point to underscore how many military veterans work here.
Nothing like some vetsploitation to get the laughs started for this 1%er; thanks Memphis!
It's hardly a unique phenomenon in the business world as well as the media; show your patriotism by sporting a hard-on for the military(or 20% when you order the Grand Slam at Denny's)!

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
It's hardly a unique phenomenon in the business world as well as the media; show your patriotism by sporting a hard-on for the military(or 20% when you order the Grand Slam at Denny's)!

Not the same thing, but not any less laugh-worthy either.

And Denny's has always charged me full pop. Not that I mind.

Z

ZQXC

I wouldn't bother participating in any FedEx "veterans day" activities. All they want is to get a photo of you in front of a cake or, something, so they can blast the media with how thoughtful FedEx is about their vets.

BTW, thank you to all veterans.

Go back through the archives, and see if they held that same position during the Vietnam years.

whenIgetthere

We have four employees at our station in the reserves, three are currently overseas on active duty. I have heard two of our op's managers grumbling about being short handed due to this. I say tough, they are doing the duty that the rest of us won't do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have four employees at our station in the reserves, three are currently overseas on active duty. I have heard two of our op's managers grumbling about being short handed due to this. I say tough, they are doing the duty that the rest of us won't do.

To be fair, I am sure that, on a personal level, the managers you referred to also applaud their willingness to serve; however, the job still needs to get done and it is much tougher to do this when you are down four experienced couriers.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
To be fair, I am sure that, on a personal level, the managers you referred to also applaud their willingness to serve; however, the job still needs to get done and it is much tougher to do this when you are down four experienced couriers.
Too bad. If Fred and MT3 would quit obsessing over having constant extra lean staffing and hire some more part-timer and and casuals maybe there wouldn't be such a problem. You blame the guys that are serving our country instead of where the blame really belongs and that's Memphis.

Wake up!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Too bad. If Fred and MT3 would quit obsessing over having constant extra lean staffing and hire some more part-timer and and casuals maybe there wouldn't be such a problem. You blame the guys that are serving our country instead of where the blame really belongs and that's Memphis. Wake up!

I didn't blame anybody. All I said was that the job needs to get done and that it is much harder to do when you are down four experienced couriers. As a vet, I thank them for their service, and would be willing to bet that the ops managers feel the same way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I would expect the senior to read a prepared dictate from Memphis recognizing our employee veterans. This reeks of desperation and is another (free) way for FedEx to take credit for what an individual has done on their own and attempt to capitalize on it by showing "FedEx Cares".

This company will do anything to make itself look good...as long as it doesn't cost them anything.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I didn't blame anybody. All I said was that the job needs to get done and that it is much harder to do when you are down four experienced couriers. As a vet, I thank them for their service, and would be willing to bet that the ops managers feel the same way.
There is always somebody if not multiple experienced people absent at every station. Injuries, surgeries, bereavements, suspensions on top of all the vacations, personal days, leave of absences etc. Business as usual.

MonkeyKahn

Our manager was very clear. It is so that FedEx can get the tax credits for hiring veterans. Google corporate tax break for hiring veterans

They only have through December to make sure that they have submitted for the tax credit so they are asking who is a veteran so that they don't miss out on any of that free money.

On a related note: the fact that many of you are not getting the real story may make me loose some of my cynacism towards management. I'll explain. After the SFA scores came out the MD visited all of his ramps to try and determine the problems. The top answers were pay, benefits, and management not being straight forward and honest with employees.

So if management is finally telling the truth (in our AGFS district at least) that is a good thing and means that not all management are yes men repeating the company line (lie), ignorant of the truth or just lacking the skills to comprehend what is actually going on.

BTW for those in the 0-25% of pay scale (2% raise) did you notice that because the scale went up 3% you are now 1% lower in scale then you were before the raises.

So much for the stated purpose of the disproportionate raises (this time) that it was to help employees get to top of scale faster. Management either cant do math or thinks we can't/won't either. It will take those in the 25-50% forever to top out, those in 50-75% between 25-50 more years. I don't count the 75-99% because I am not sure that there are any employees in that range because in order to reach 50% you would have had to been in position 12 years and received a perfect score on your reviews (when they still had them) and that barely puts you at 50%. All of the employees who were in class more that about 18 years ago topped out long ago because back then there were raises every six months...

hypo hanna

The tax credit is intended for new and recent hires only. You can't claim someone hired 25 years ago who served a 4 year hitch prior to coming to Express.
Here's how it works in the real world.
Too big to fail corporations, (the ones who pushed for and probably wrote the bill), will submit veterans no matter when they were hired. WW1 doughboys would qualify. These list will go to a underfunded, understaffed government agency for vetting who will rubber stamp an approval. Maybe years down the road some do gooder will find the fraud and try and report it to his/her superiors. The whistleblower will eventually be fired for something "unrelated" and will have no choice but to go to the press.
After the story goes public, congressmen knowing about the plan from the outset will feign outrage and demand an investigation. There will be a show of hearings and a handful of small fry CEOs will be trotted out to testify. Some fines will be assessed which will later be quietly reduced or removed. Any fine actually paid will be a tiny fraction of the profits gained by the fraud.
No executive will serve jail time or suffer any cost related to the crime.
The whistleblower will be unemployeed and on welfare.
No new jobs will be created for our veterans.

There will higher taxes for middle and lower classes to offset the taxes lost to the corporations.

The executives will be rewarded by the BOD's for a successive scam with raises and stock options.

The press will soon be distracted by some other scandal and the whole thing will be forgotten.

Did I miss anything?

oldngray

nowhere special
veteran.gif

Runners Giving Respect To A Cheering Veteran