violation of new dot requirments

bigpete28

So here's the deal, on Monday I took my lunch from 5:30 to 6:30 totally forgetting about the taking it before your 8 hrs. So this morning I wasn't in work, had my house closing, my manger called me up threatening me about me being fired. He knew I was buying a new home. My question is could I be fired for this? and can I grieve the way he handled it?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I wouldn't go throwing out a greivence just yet. They probably don't want a fine any more tha n you want to be fired. My guess is they will make it look like they a re doing u a huge favor and make it seem like you owe them one and say nothing to anyone about this. If they do take discipline then file your grievance

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I wouldn't go throwing out a greivence just yet. They probably don't want a fine any more tha n you want to be fired. My guess is they will make it look like they a re doing u a huge favor and make it seem like you owe them one and say nothing to anyone about this. If they do take discipline then file your grievance
I dont think the OP has to worry about termination, but in reality there isnt much the Union can do for someone knowingly breaking a DOT law. I would suggest going in with hat in hand and asking ,note I said ASKING for a chance to talk to the manager and stressing it won't happen again.
Its only a matter of time before some :censored2: pays a big fine over this

UPS Preloader

So here's the deal, on Monday I took my lunch from 5:30 to 6:30 totally forgetting about the taking it before your 8 hrs. So this morning I wasn't in work, had my house closing, my manger called me up threatening me about me being fired. He knew I was buying a new home. My question is could I be fired for this? and can I grieve the way he handled it?

Ultimately it's your fault, but UPS should be locking out the diad if the 30 minute break has not been taken by the 8 hour mark.

Go in, hat in hand, and give an honest mea-culpa. Tell them you're still working on remembering the new rules that went into effect 7/01 that are so much different than when mgmt approved of you skipping your lunch on 6/30.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Go in, hat in hand, and give an honest mea-culpa. Tell them you're still working on remembering the new rules that went into effect 7/01 that are so much different than when mgmt approved of you skipping your lunch on 6/30.

Do as Cach suggests but leave out the line about management approving skipping lunch.

nicky

Ok did the driver make a mistake, yep... But amazingly enough no body seems to care that his job was threatened. I take every threat seriously, and if they do it once you file. If they do it twice you file. I promise you eventually they learn who will and will not listen to that garbage. In my case I like to ask who the last person they really fired was... Tends to end the conversation. In the end follow the rules, the new ones are iron clad and must be followed and if they wanted to write you up then they have that right.

Griff

How does someone forget to take their lunch?

Too busy worrying about upsetting a "manager" or too busy chasing the carrot referred to as bone-us (BONUS aka a scam).

I no longer refer to "managers" or "supervisors" at this company without quotes because they are completely worthless, spineless, brainless and don't deserve a title of any form or kind. The worst pile of management I've laid eyes on in my entire time at the company. Stock is at an all-time high and the IQ requirements for management are at an all-time low -- Wall street in a nutshell.

nicky

Lets put it this way if everyone understood that not making all of your businesses is not your problem, not making pickups in time is not a drivers problem this would go alot smoother. Stop around 2pm when its the hottest take your full hour of lunch and this is never a problem. If you cant get all your commercial stops off, send a message and let management worry about it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Its so weird. I work in a major center, largest in my state and we still haven't heard a peep about this 30 min dot lunch rule. I asked an on-car again a couple days ago and he looked at me funny and said he hadn't heard anything about it.

Lets put it this way if everyone understood that not making all of your businesses is not your problem, not making pickups in time is not a drivers problem this would go alot smoother. Stop around 2pm when its the hottest take your full hour of lunch and this is never a problem. If you cant get all your commercial stops off, send a message and let management worry about it.

Some pickups start at 2:00 PM and run right up to 5:00. I agree it is not your problem. Hire more FT drivers and put in a couple new routes ? Never.