Vision Insurance

rod

Retired 22 years
For those of you who think your insurance sucks now here's what happened to me today. After my 11 year old frames for my glasses fell apart today while doing my thing at the YMCA I went to my eye care place to see if they could fix it. No could do. It just so happened the mechanic from the center I retired from was in there picking up his new set of specks. The gal told him "that will be $167 dollars with your insurance ----not bad for a $740 pair of glasses". I asked if I could get my new frames put on his insurance and he said "go for it"---then laughed. My new frames were $204---thank you very much. I miss vision insurance

oldngray

nowhere special
For those of you who think your insurance sucks now here's what happened to me today. After my 11 year old frames for my glasses fell apart today while doing my thing at the YMCA I went to my eye care place to see if they could fix it. No could do. It just so happened the mechanic from the center I retired from was in there picking up his new set of specks. The gal told him "that will be $167 dollars with your insurance ----not bad for a $740 pair of glasses". I asked if I could get my new frames put on his insurance and he said "go for it"---then laughed. My new frames were $204---thank you very much. I miss vision insurance

I noticed the eye doctors like to change styles every couple of years so new lenses won't fit old frames.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That's crazy my wife went to eye dr. Awhile back got an exam and a years worth of contacts no charge not even a co-pay

rod

Retired 22 years
I noticed the eye doctors like to change styles every couple of years so new lenses won't fit old frames.

I really lucked out there. These frames were high buck to begin with (titainium--suppose to never bend or break-or so I thought) and they are still being produced. I just last year got new lenses for them (another $600) so it made my day when I was able to just replace the frames.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My insurance only covers something like $100 dollars for frames. I didn't have any problem finding a pair for $100. Sure the choices were limited, but personally, I'm not upset our insurance doesn't cover overpriced pieces of plastic.

Most people don't realize these people work on commission. They were relentless with the upsell. Scratch resistant, polarized, uv protection, blah blah blah. Nah, I'll pass, give me what my insurance covers I'm not paying extra. "No one gets the plastic lenses, you need polycarbonate". Ok well I'm getting them. Didn't pay a dime.

rod

Retired 22 years
My insurance only covers something like $100 dollars for frames. I didn't have any problem finding a pair for $100. Sure the choices were limited, but personally, I'm not upset our insurance doesn't cover overpriced pieces of plastic.

Most people don't realize these people work on commission. They were relentless with the upsell. Scratch resistant, polarized, uv protection, blah blah blah. Nah, I'll pass, give me what my insurance covers I'm not paying extra. "No one gets the plastic lenses". Ok well I'm getting them. Didn't pay a dime.

Too each his own---I like my super light weight, non reflective, scratch resistant lenses mounted in a frame I don't have to worry about falling asleep in or setting on. I've always been tough on glasses so I tend to pay more. I could actually get free glasses from the VA but you are limited to a few selections for the frames and they all look like they were developed in WWII.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Too each his own---I like my super light weight, non reflective, scratch resistant lenses mounted in a frame I don't have to worry about falling asleep in or setting on. I've always been tough on glasses so I tend to pay more. I could actually get free glasses from the VA but you are limited to a few selections for the frames and they all look like they were developed in WWII.
I hear ya, if you want the extras then go for it, good to have options.

I was really surprised by how cheap they tried to make me feel though. I get enough of that from my wife lol. I actually googled it when I got home and found out the chain vision centers work on commission, it's like a freaking car dealership. I'm glad I shut them down, I'm relatively young and am working hard to save every dime I can while it can add up big in the future.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

Most people don't realize these people work on commission. They were relentless with the upsell. Scratch resistant, polarized, uv protection, blah blah blah. Nah, I'll pass, give me what my insurance covers I'm not paying extra. "No one gets the plastic lenses, you need polycarbonate". Ok well I'm getting them. Didn't pay a dime.
i'm exactly the same way. get new glasses every year and never anything out of pocket. he quit trying to upsell me .

barnyard

KTM rider
I really lucked out there. These frames were high buck to begin with (titainium--suppose to never bend or break-or so I thought) and they are still being produced.

I bought the titanium frames 2 years in a row, figuring I would just swap them out as I need new lenses. When I did that this year they said that if they break while installing the new lenses, I may be out of luck, as that frame style is no longer made.

Grrrrrr.

BrownBrokeDown

It probably makes a difference between getting contacts and getting regular frames and lenses.
It depends on the contacts too. couple days ago my wife went. For a custom fit and followup (wife hasnt wore contacts in about a decade) it cost me $90, the copay on the contacts she has to use was $98 for a 3 month supply, the other 9 months will have to come out of pocket. Luckily the place she went, since the insurance will not pay on the next 9 months, they will do a deal bc of "no insurance", $100 per 3 months. In-network and verified all insurance copay's.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I bought the titanium frames 2 years in a row, figuring I would just swap them out as I need new lenses. When I did that this year they said that if they break while installing the new lenses, I may be out of luck, as that frame style is no longer made.

Grrrrrr.

This is also what I do, although the frames are not titanium.

Our vision plan gives us a free exam and either a frame off of their "welfare rack" or up to $120 off of the price of the frames of our choosing. Depending on how much my Rx has changed, I will upgrade either one or both of the frames. I usually just do one this year and the other the following.

rod

Retired 22 years

Grrrrrr.

I picked up my new frames just an hour ago. Identical to the ones that broke. Next day service. Totally blew my mind. It still freaks me out that I lucked out and they were still in production after 11 years. The gal also told me the price was the same as I paid 11 years ago-----now I know in living in the Twilight Zone.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
LASIK?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I picked up my new frames just an hour ago. Identical to the ones that broke. Next day service. Totally blew my mind. It still freaks me out that I lucked out and they were still in production after 11 years. The gal also told me the price was the same as I paid 11 years ago-----now I know in living in the Twilight Zone.

CeeCeeSantos

Do they give you a choice on paying for the lens or the frames? I called and they told me up to $100 frames and the lens is 100% paid ... But coworkers said i would have to choose between frames or lens being paid

Most people don't realize these people work on commission. They were relentless with the upsell. Scratch resistant, polaqrized, uv protection, blah blah blah. Nah, I'll pass, give me what my insurance covers I'm not paying extra. "No one gets the plastic lenses, you need polycarbonate". Ok well I'm getting them. Didn't pay a dime.