Visiting Memphis, but Not for FedEx

MassWineGuy

I have some vacation time soon and thought of visiting Memphis. I'm a big blues as well as r&b, and there seems to be plenty there. Bbq, also.

I'd like to stay downtown and not get a car, but the hotels are too expensive. What other neighborhoods would be good not too far away? I'd be staying at an AirBnB.

Thanks.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
What's next on your itinerary? - Detroit?

Seriously, after having spent several weeks in that town for training, I have to ask - do you really want to piss away your hard-earned vacation time there? It seemed like every store I walked into, the clerk was sitting inside a bullet-proof glass cubicle. I was glad to be out of there - couldn't ever imagine it being a vacation destination. Just an ugly town IMO.

You can find your R&B and BBQ at nicer and more picturesque Southern cities I'd think.

bbsam

Staff member
Not sure about Tennessee but my wife and I drove through Kentucky and saw all kinds of cool local interests. Happened to be driving along and saw this in the distance:

images (2).jpg

Jefferson Davis monument.

Also some cool caves and history around Bowling Green.
images (3).jpg

Lost River Caves boat tour.

Oldfart

Heading there for the Sweet 16 to see my Kentucky Wilcats play. Not a very easy town to get around without a car unless things have changed since I was there 2 years ago. If you want to walk to Beale Street, you will have to bite the hotel bullet and stay downtown. If you want to save money, you will need a car and maybe stay near the medical center which is close but too far to walk. I always use Uber when we go out at night to save the parking hassle and that way you can drink and not worry about the consequences.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I have some vacation time soon and thought of visiting Memphis. I'm a big blues as well as r&b, and there seems to be plenty there. Bbq, also.

I'd like to stay downtown and not get a car, but the hotels are too expensive. What other neighborhoods would be good not too far away? I'd be staying at an AirBnB.

Thanks.

Memphis Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Browse through a few pages on that forum. If you don't get what you're looking for, ask . That site is my go-to for the kind of info you're looking to get.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've been to both Memphis and New Orleans once each. If I had a choice to go to either again, New Orleans would win hands down. They have the best food and so much to see. Memphis has Beale St and Graceland. Just my opinion.

bbsam

Staff member

Thanks.
Before the kids came along, we used to pick a direction and drive. When we got tired, checked into a hotel and thumbed through the local travel brochures in the lobby. Had a lot of fun doing that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Before the kids came along, we used to pick a direction and drive. When we got tired, checked into a hotel and thumbed through the local travel brochures in the lobby. Had a lot of fun doing that.
Do you have any single brothers like you? That's my idea of traveling...going exploring.

vantexan

Have eaten bbq in many cities. For pork it's hard to beat Memphis and West Tennessee. But overall best food in the South is in Louisiana IMO.

Oldfart

Stay across the state line in Southaven. Hotels will be cheaper and it's only about ~10 minutes from the airport.
Good distance from Beale Street if that is where you want to end up. I looked into some VRBO and couldn't find anything close to where the games are. The basketball arena is right near Beale Street.

McFeely

Huge Member
Do you have any single brothers like you? That's my idea of traveling...going exploring.

I'd ask if you were hot, but that just turns these threads into a :censored2:-show shark feeding frenzy from all the guys who don't get some.

I love road trips. I literally can. not. wait. to get more vacation time so I can just burn those yummy fossil fuels and go driving for 2+ weeks and see more of this great country.

59 Dano

Not sure about Tennessee but my wife and I drove through Kentucky and saw all kinds of cool local interests. Happened to be driving along and saw this in the distance:

View attachment 125920
Jefferson Davis monument.

Also some cool caves and history around Bowling Green.
View attachment 125921
Lost River Caves boat tour.

You weren't an hour from Mammoth Cave!!! What parts of the state did you drive through? I'm originally from the Louisville area.

59 Dano

Tunica is a little under an hour away if gambling is an itch you want to scratch or you want to do some people watching.