Volume drop

snowcat66

I know this is typically the time of year when the volume naturally decreases but at my station it has dropped considerably and managers are scrambling to get people off road. I have noticed alot less amazon in the last week. how bout at other areas?

I know this is typically the time of year when the volume naturally decreases but at my station it has dropped considerably and managers are scrambling to get people off road. I have noticed alot less amazon in the last week. how bout at other areas?
Not FedEx but UPS and yes management is cutting routes like crazy. Part of the reason at UPS is the poor stock showing and 4th quarter earnings. I imaging the same is true for FedEx.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a BIG Amazon warehouse blimp hovering over my house today and package drones were coming out of it left and right.

Purplepackage

If you're paying attention to how much Amazon you have on your truck...you have way to much time on your hands

Sign___Here

get used to volume drop its just a matter of time.. Express will have something to do but not enough to do. Express volumes will fall dramatically as our wonderful management team will push everything possible in to ground system. They chase margins to much!! They should take market share at all cost to any account in express division. They have plenty of room on aircraft to do this.. But choose not and let their employees starve.... Its all about ground and will be for along time after TPP got shot down by Trump that was Freds big idea for TNT and the triple777's. Those air craft will be parked in the desert!!!

dezguy

get used to volume drop its just a matter of time.. Express will have something to do but not enough to do. Express volumes will fall dramatically as our wonderful management team will push everything possible in to ground system. They chase margins to much!! They should take market share at all cost to any account in express division. They have plenty of room on aircraft to do this.. But choose not and let their employees starve.... Its all about ground and will be for along time after TPP got shot down by Trump that was Freds big idea for TNT and the triple777's. Those air craft will be parked in the desert!!!
Sadly, you're probably right.

We're seeing it here with those dumb enough to submit sales leads and sales turning around and pushing ground.

We have seen only a handful of new accounts in the past few years, at my sta. Meanwhile the ground station down the road is adding new routes, what seems every month, just to keep up with the new business on the inbound side.

Sadly, there are still those who go out and get sales leads, not realizing they're slitting their own throats.

Oldfart

Plenty of freight and hours my way. Have seen a big increase in Walmart.com in just the last 2 weeks. You wonder why they chase margins? You have to work on the bottom line and you have investors to keep happy. Ground produces 15% or more return on investment, Express might return 6%. Which number is bigger?

Starving employees? Haven't seen any employees in the soup kitchen lines in my area.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

2012 called.

Oldfart

Stations that are cutting routes, paying minimums and offering LWOP must be overstaffed. I asked other stations in my area and we are offering none of those. Other than a swing trying to sneak in some guarantee money when running a FO or pt route, we are running 10 and 11 hr days and all the Saturday overtime you want. We are even sending handlers to Defensive Driving class so they can shuttle bulks out and get a POD so the couriers can concentrate on other deliveries. I guess our SM must know to run a lean and mean people count.

Express Courier

My route is never not busy. Always have plenty of amazon. Maybe about twice a month I'll get what feels like a somewhat slowish day. But that's more because on certain days a route just flows perfect and you hit every light, every stop is on the right side of the street etc.

You know what happens the next day though. Every stop is upstairs and a DSR, kids get out on some shortened day mucking up the flow mojo, old lady wants to send some :censored2: and wants an airbill and needs to know how to fill it out etc.

Schweddy

Balls
Plenty of freight and hours my way. Have seen a big increase in Walmart.com in just the last 2 weeks. You wonder why they chase margins? You have to work on the bottom line and you have investors to keep happy. Ground produces 15% or more return on investment, Express might return 6%. Which number is bigger?

Starving employees? Haven't seen any employees in the soup kitchen lines in my area.

You wouldn't know if they're in line, you're too busy licking the glass at the door so you can be first in line.

6% vs 15% sounds like a lot but really it comes down to ground edging express by $114m for last year. That is, if your numbers are even accurate. FedEx - FedEx - Overview of Company

Curious, do any of you guys put in leads that you saw a competitors outgoing freight, aka, FX ground?

Star B

White Lightening
You know what happens the next day though. Every stop is upstairs and a DSR, kids get out on some shortened day mucking up the flow mojo, old lady wants to send some :censored2: and wants an airbill and needs to know how to fill it out etc.
You forgot the chewing out by your manager because you ran 80% that day.

Oldfart

I know of 2 single mothers in my station that get food assistance due to wage/cost of living. It's pretty tough for those who didn't get topped out like you did.
You mean a woman who makes 20k or more is eligible for food assistance? Are they couriers or handlers? I can't imagine any courier making less than 20k even if they are part time unless they only take the 17.5 guarantee every week.

People forget that I made about $1.50 more than minimum wage when I started with the company. If that were the case now, people would be making about $8.75 an hour. I believe even handlers make more than that now.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Base couriers make 16.60...

16.60x17.5x52=15,106.

And 1.50 back then was worth way more than it is now.
Who only gets the minimum 52 weeks straight? You get 20 each vacation and during peak I would imagine you get all you want. I would think any courier that only works 17.5 hrs 48 or so weeks a year does so by choice. In that case, their money woes are self induced.

Saying $1.50 bought more back then is bull. It is all relative. How much did $4.25 an hour buy back then. About as much as $8.75 an hour will buy now. Making $80 a week before taxes was the norm.

Schweddy

Balls
I can't imagine any courier making less than 20k even if they are part time unless they only take the 17.5 guarantee every week.

Wtf ignoramous.. you said it yourself, not me.

Who only gets the minimum 52 weeks straight? You get 20 each vacation and during peak I would imagine you get all you want. I would think any courier that only works 17.5 hrs 48 or so weeks a year does so by choice. In that case, their money woes are self induced.

Saying $1.50 bought more back then is bull. It is all relative. How much did $4.25 an hour buy back then. About as much as $8.75 an hour will buy now. Making $80 a week before taxes was the norm.

Do the research on inflation for when you started. I'm talking about the difference between $1.50 raise then verses now.

And you're way off on your starter vacation.. it's one week, not 4. I bet your boss lets you schedule your sick time, sicko