Voluntary layoffs

DRporch

Anyone else have this going on and taking part in it? Seems odd to have the option to work or collect unemployment. Not sure why our part timers are even working. They’d make more laid off

Attachments

• DE158EE0-EE3E-48B2-9893-762B89FEF9A9.png
    DE158EE0-EE3E-48B2-9893-762B89FEF9A9.png
    993.4 KB · Views: 355

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Anyone else have this going on and taking part in it? Seems odd to have the option to work or collect unemployment. Not sure why our part timers are even working. They’d make more laid off

Not that I know of. That's a local agreement.

It kind of makes sense though, ask for volunteers to be laid off instead of forcing the bottom seniority people to be laid off.

Keeping your healthcare was an issue though, until Teamcare extended laid off employees 8 weeks of healthcare.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I guess the phrase "Seniority gives you the right to work, not the right not to work," is no longer a valid argument...at least in Detroit.

Last edited:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Uh.....no. If you are offered work and you turn it down you are ineligible for unemployment.

Uh.....no. If UPS needs to lay someone off due to volume reduction, the Unemployment Office doesn't care if it a high seniority employee or a low seniority employee. They are going to pay someone unemployment due to the layoff, or Reduction in Force (RIF). It is up to UPS to decide who gets laid off, and then this person is reported to the Unemployment Office as laid off and subsequently collects unemployment.

It is actually spelled out clearly in the Central. A laid off employee is offered work, they can bump 2 part timers. But they can also elect to take the lay off instead, and collect unemployment. Similar to a voluntary lay off in Detroit.

Central Region Supplement

Article 3 Section 6

If a laid off, full-time employee elects to take a layoff rather than exercise his/her right to displace a part-time employee, he/she shall be considered a laid-off employee for lack of work for the purpose of unemployment compensation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Uh.....no. If UPS needs to lay someone off due to volume reduction, the Unemployment Office doesn't care if it a high seniority employee or a low seniority employee. They are going to pay someone unemployment due to the layoff, or Reduction in Force (RIF). It is up to UPS to decide who gets laid off, and then this person is reported to the Unemployment Office as laid off and subsequently collects unemployment.

It is actually spelled out clearly in the Central. A laid off employee is offered work, they can bump 2 part timers. But they can also elect to take the lay off instead, and collect unemployment. Similar to a voluntary lay off in Detroit.

Central Region Supplement

Article 3 Section 6

If a laid off, full-time employee elects to take a layoff rather than exercise his/her right to displace a part-time employee, he/she shall be considered a laid-off employee for lack of work for the purpose of unemployment compensation.

You have got to be kidding----union endorsed laziness??

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You have got to be kidding----union endorsed laziness??

Someone is getting laid off anyway. If the full timer bumps 2 part timers. those 2 part timers are going to be laid off. And unemployment does not pay near what working does, and the part timer may not be able to make ends meet on unemployment. And then there is the insurance issue if the part timers are laid off.

If the full timer is willing to take the lay off and let the part timers work, it is a win for everyone. I don't have an issue with this.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Uh.....no. If you are offered work and you turn it down you are ineligible for unemployment.

Not true.

My UAW job had a supplemental fund for layoffs so I would occasionally take voluntary layoffs when it was fully funded. When we filed my company would tell the state we had a recall date and they would waive the job search as well. No Vandelay Industries for me!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Someone is getting laid off anyway. If the full timer bumps 2 part timers. those 2 part timers are going to be laid off. And unemployment does not pay near what working does, and the part timer may not be able to make ends meet on unemployment. And then there is the insurance issue if the part timers are laid off.

If the full timer is willing to take the lay off and let the part timers work, it is a win for everyone. I don't have an issue with this.

$1,104/week (before taxes) is roughly what I used to bring home.

I do see your logic and admit that I did not think of it from that perspective; however, that being said, I personally would not feel right sitting at home when I am fully capable of working.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not true.

My UAW job had a supplemental fund for layoffs so I would occasionally take voluntary layoffs when it was fully funded. When we filed my company would tell the state we had a recall date and they would waive the job search as well. No Vandelay Industries for me!

I guess that makes sense but it still doesn't pass the smell test.

WTFm8

$1,104/week (before taxes) is roughly what I used to bring home.

I do see your logic and admit that I did not think of it from that perspective; however, that being said, I personally would not feel right sitting at home when I am fully capable of working.

Only a true idiot would sit at home on unemployment. Always auctions to go to to buy/resell, cash jobs, or helping buddies do something for pizza and beer lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Only a true idiot would sit at home on unemployment. Always auctions to go to to buy/resell, cash jobs, or helping buddies do something for pizza and beer lol.

So in addition to sitting at home from a job where there is work you would advocate that they find work elsewhere under the table?

WTFm8

So in addition to sitting at home from a job where there is work you would advocate that they find work elsewhere under the table?

If it means 2pt get to work vs a FT bumping inside, or a high seniority PT that always works/getting FT hours get a week off instead of bumping inside, yea.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it means 2pt get to work vs a FT bumping inside, or a high seniority PT that always works/getting FT hours get a week off instead of bumping inside, yea.

Uh....no. PT jobs are not meant to be the sole source of income for a family, not matter what Walmart says.

I can just imagine my ex's reaction if back when we were still married and I was just starting at UPS if I were to tell her that I was taking a voluntary layoff to make sure that two PTers kept working. She would have told me (rightfully so) to get my ass back to work.