Volunteer for driver helper question.

Killzone

So I work preload and when I was coming out of the building they were asking if we wanted to volunteer for driver helper, how do all this work? And when do you go back to preload? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance

packageguy

So I work preload and when I was coming out of the building they were asking if we wanted to volunteer for driver helper, how do all this work? And when do you go back to preload? Is it worth it? Thanks in advance

When you say volunteer, that means for free, lol

UPSGUY72

You can put you name on the list but they prefer to use outside people first as helper. Either way in my area helper don't start till after Thanksgiving. Peak these days isn't as long as it was in the past because of the internet people can order something today and have it tomorrow.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Be a driver helper. it might give you a better prospective of the drivers day. Plus you don't have to think, just follow orders.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Be a driver helper. It might give you a better perspective of the drivers day. Plus you don't have to think, just follow orders.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
driver helpers make a couple $ more per hour than preloaders, and the work is far more interesting imo

also, you'll be out of the center away from all the micromanaging

you'd be crazy not to choose that over loading trucks

laffter

driver helpers make a couple $ more per hour than preloaders, and the work is far more interesting imo

also, you'll be out of the center away from all the micromanaging

you'd be crazy not to choose that over loading trucks

Driver helpers here make $8.50/hr. Doesn't matter what you make in preload, you'll get 8.50. The only way this becomes worth it is ... after 8 hours total for the day, you get overtime at the 8.50 rate.

laffter

Are you sure? Make more then that here.

Yes. I did it last year. Toward the end of peak, I was working 7-hours in preload. That means, I only got the 8.50 for one single hour, then it jumped to 12.75 for the rest of the day. My paystub showed 4 different pay rates: preload rate, preload overtime, helper rate, helper overtime.

Maybe it varies by region/state?

Killzone

Driver helpers here make $8.50/hr. Doesn't matter what you make in preload, you'll get 8.50. The only way this becomes worth it is ... after 8 hours total for the day, you get overtime at the 8.50 rate.
Oh I see, after your done with driver helper or when the peak season ends you go back to your regular position?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Before the economy went south, seasonal helpers here made 1/2 of what top rate was. When the economy crashed, the rate was reduced to 8.50, and the quality of help has been for the most part terrible ever since.

laffter

Oh I see, after your done with driver helper or when the peak season ends you go back to your regular position?

A driver helper position is in addition to your regular shift. You will be working your normal shift every day, and driver helping afterwards. After peak, you will no longer be driver helping.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If you're not hit by a car, bit by a dog, caught on camera for something, or disliked by your driver, yes. If you need extra cash and have the time, I'd look for a FT job or another PT job. Retailers will be hiring for a lot more and you won't get physically abused like a driver helper.