Volunteer for driver helper question.

Macbrother

Interesting how the rules are different in each area. Driver helpers here make 10.50/hour and anything over 5 hours is considered overtime. You can of course work this in addition to your preload hours, and there is no limit on how many hours you can get per day. Driver helper here begins, except in extraordinary circumstances of high volume, in late October. The only issue I had was a day I did preload, worked driver helper, then (and quite foolishly I might add) helped on Local sort for another 3.5 hours. They said triple shifting was a no-no.

edit: By the way, I highly recommend it to all preloaders, particularly if you are interested in driving some day because it gives you a very real look into how being a driver actually works. I think it also makes you a better preloader as you get a feel for how a driver goes about finding and shifting packages. For me, honestly, you won't make an easier $10.50. You also might get one of those drivers that actually works half their own stops depending on which side of the road they're on.

Only warning: Watch out for dogs, and be prepared for non-stop bitching (about the center manager, the dispatching, the on-cars, etc etc) from the time you step in the truck to the minute you leave.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
edit: By the way, I highly recommend it to all preloaders, particularly if you are interested in driving some day because it gives you a very real look into how being a driver actually works. I think it also makes you a better preloader as you get a feel for how a driver goes about finding and shifting packages.

As a long-time driver, I couldn't agree more. We have a loader that's been here probably 15-16 years. He was notorious about not caring about his loads. About 3 years ago, he started dating a driver (female:happy-very:), and went out as her helper at peak. Now, he's one of the best in the center.

Buck Fifty

You can do it Killzone. It will be worth it. Do your homework and find the right driver. Dont let mgmt screw you around and around and around... sorry. Find a driver and stay with him.

tre305

Lol I did triple shifting for like three weeks last year peak season, only b/c they were short on clerks on the reload. Only time I'll see a check that big again is if I move up to a full time driver.