W-2s -- check your info now

Kae3106

As the year comes to a close, I would like to ask everyone to take a look at their paychecks and mailing addresses to make sure everything is correct.

If your address is incorrect, please update it so you will receive your W-2 timely. (They will be available online as well this year.)

If you have moved or were rehired, please make sure you are being taxed for the correct state and/or local jurisdiction. (Every year we have people who don't look at their checks and realize they were taxed wrong when the W-2 arrives.) W-2Cs can't be processed until March which will delay filing for anyone who needs one.

If you find a problem, please have your center put in a Time and Labor payroll inquiry immediately. We still have enough time to make corrections before the end of the year so the W-2s will be correct.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good advice. W-2's have been available online for the past 5 years or so. The link is on upsers. You can also use your end-of-year paystub as it mirrors your W-2.

Kae3106

The end of year paystub does not always mirror the W-2 so be careful. The payroll department has one last chance to make updates during the first week of January. Also, the end of year paystub does not show all of the different wage fields. Sometimes gross wages are different from federal taxable wages which can be different from FICA wages and so on depending on the types of deductions you have. I had a number of calls last year from people claiming Turbo Tax told them they were taxed wrong on FICA because they entered the wrong wage total for all of the prompts.

Terminated or seasonal employees often cannot access upsers or the ADP link to get to their online W-2 which is why the mailing address is important.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The end of year paystub does not always mirror the W-2 so be careful. The payroll department has one last chance to make updates during the first week of January. Also, the end of year paystub does not show all of the different wage fields. Sometimes gross wages are different from federal taxable wages which can be different from FICA wages and so on depending on the types of deductions you have. I had a number of calls last year from people claiming Turbo Tax told them they were taxed wrong on FICA because they entered the wrong wage total for all of the prompts.

Terminated or seasonal employees often cannot access upsers or the ADP link to get to their online W-2 which is why the mailing address is important.

Everyone told him last year that the year end stub isn't the same as your w2. He doesn't listen well sometimes and doesn't play well with others. Upstate is like our little version of the terrible 2's. He just never seems to grow out of them.

Everyone told him last year that the year end stub isn't the same as your w2. He doesn't listen well sometimes and doesn't play well with others. Upstate is like our little version of the terrible 2's. He just never seems to grow out of them.
Its nice to see that I have stepped aside others have driven to the front of the line.

Buck Fifty

As the year comes to a close, I would like to ask everyone to take a look at their paychecks and mailing addresses to make sure everything is correct.

If your address is incorrect, please update it so you will receive your W-2 timely. (They will be available online as well this year.)

If you have moved or were rehired, please make sure you are being taxed for the correct state and/or local jurisdiction. (Every year we have people who don't look at their checks and realize they were taxed wrong when the W-2 arrives.) W-2Cs can't be processed until March which will delay filing for anyone who needs one.

If you find a problem, please have your center put in a Time and Labor payroll inquiry immediately. We still have enough time to make corrections before the end of the year so the W-2s will be correct.

Duly Noted !

satellitedriver

And don't forget that you have 3 and1/2 months to figure out if something is wrong, then you can file an extension for another 6 months.
Worry now and beat the rush.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my 23 years there has never been a difference between my W-2 and my end-of-year paystub.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Brownslave, do me a favor---grab your 2011 W-2 and end-of-year paystub--if you don't have it go to upsers and get it--compare the two--are there any differences between the two?

BTW, if "everyone" told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know it's the same most of the time but its not worth the risk if its different. The point is you can't give a blanket statement that says they mirror each other. Just because this is true for you doesn't make it true for everyone.

UPSGUY72

And don't forget that you have 3 and1/2 months to figure out if something is wrong, then you can file an extension for another 6 months.
Worry now and beat the rush.

If you file a extension you still have to pay what you think your going to owe it's not a free ride to put off paying.

BrownArmy

In my 23 years there has never been a difference between my W-2 and my end-of-year paystub.

To be fair, the experience that others have had may not mirror yours...both experiences are valid.

Measure twice, cut once.

Or, in the spirit of the OP, just check your sht, because:

It may or not be correct.

Thanks OP!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He can't just say, "I was wrong".

I would have no problem saying I was wrong if I were indeed wrong---I am not wrong on this issue. The end of year paystub mirrors your W-2. My income taxes will already be e-filed by the time the W-2's are available online (usually on or about the 20th of January) or by mail (must be delivered by Jan.31st by law).

Nimnim

The Nim
I would have no problem saying I was wrong if I were indeed wrong---I am not wrong on this issue. The end of year paystub USUALLY mirrors your W-2. My income taxes will already be e-filed by the time the W-2's are available online (usually on or about the 20th of January) or by mail (must be delivered by Jan.31st by law).

Fixed.