Walgreens, OMFG!

MassWineGuy

So I’m at one of the Walgreens I stop at for the daily pup. A guy there picks up his Zebra scanner but it was frozen so he had to reboot it. “This’ll just take a minute,” says he. One minute becomes two, then three. The thing is still rebooting in what it calls “fast reboot” mode.

I apologize and say I’ve got
to get going. He asks “How big a hurry are you really in?” I told him a big hurry, though other phrases came to mind. He then said that they get in trouble if they don’t scan things out. I empathized, suggesting that he ask his boss for equipment that worked.

“Other guys wait,” he added. I’m the only Express driver who picks up there so he must have meant Ground. Ground doesn’t have a plane that will take off if they don’t get there in time. My manager said I can give them her name and phone number if they wish to complain.

As my Jewish grandma used to say: Oy!

falcon back

So I’m at one of the Walgreens I stop at for the daily pup. A guy there picks up his Zebra scanner but it was frozen so he had to reboot it. “This’ll just take a minute,” says he. One minute becomes two, then three. The thing is still rebooting in what it calls “fast reboot” mode.

I apologize and say I’ve got
to get going. He asks “How big a hurry are you really in?” I told him a big hurry, though other phrases came to mind. He then said that they get in trouble if they don’t scan things out. I empathized, suggesting that he ask his boss for equipment that worked.

“Other guys wait,” he added. I’m the only Express driver who picks up there so he must have meant Ground. Ground doesn’t have a plane that will take off if they don’t get there in time. My manager said I can give them her name and phone number if they wish to complain.

As my Jewish grandma used to say: Oy!
LOL

I guess your powerpad never rebooted during a delivery.

MassWineGuy

Yes, I know it sounds mean. And sure, I’m too familiar with equipment failures. But it wasn’t rebooting and I had to go. I’m just a cruel, heartless guy, I guess.

falcon back

Yes, I know it sounds mean. And sure, I’m too familiar with equipment failures. But it wasn’t rebooting and I had to go. I’m just a cruel, heartless guy, I guess.
The employee stated he gets in trouble if he doesn't scan items out. Does your manager not have an issue with you if you just walked into locations and handed off your packages without scanning and entering a POD? I hope you never drive up to a gas pump and find a bag on it because it's out of service or have a cashier tell you the register is out of paper and can't print a receipt. Seems like you can deal with your equipment having issues but you can't accept that other businesses have equipment issues as well.

MassWineGuy

Oh, how guilty I am! I do have a solution for the next time. They can photograph each label, then scan it when (if) their Zebra resurfaces. Or type the tracking numbers in.

And just how long would you have waited, oh all knowing sage?

Last edited:

falcon back

Oh, how guilty I am! I do have a solution for the next time. They can photograph each label, then scan it when (if) their Zebra resurfaces. Or type the tracking numbers in.

And just how long would you have waited, oh all knowing sage?
Taking a picture is definitely the option I have used many times when a pad would reboot at a stop. Maybe you could have suggested that to him as maybe he didn't have the experience you had in situations like this. Just imagine a customer giving you a hard time when your pad died at their doorstep. You are paid to work with customers and in turn, most, not all, will work with you.

MassWineGuy

I’m exceedingly polite and patient with customers, especially a resi who doesn’t ship often.

At this same Walgreens, others who had equipment trouble just told me to go and not to wait.

I’m simply a terrible human!

FedexCares

I hated running into this when I was a courier. 99% of my pickups the people had the stuff ready for me and helped me do the pup as fast as possible.

I always had this one lady though that lived out in the middle of nowhere that would do a call-in every now and then. She was a good 20 mins out of my way to begin with (my rte was average 250 mile daily) and then she was never ready. Her house smelled like piss and she would talk incessantly instead of getting the pup ready. I literally would have to do it for her if I didn’t want to be there another 20 mins. It was stressful as hell on days she called in and freight was late.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would leave them in tears on12/23 at kinkos..no more leaving. Line out the door
I had a pickup at a 5 and dime that took packages for everyone in the town I delivered to. Starting the week before Christmas customers would beg me to stick around because their packages had to get out. I always told them I would be back later to pick it up (easier than trying to explain my predicament)-- I never was. It went out the next day. Don't blame me you waited so long to ship your Christmas stuff. The store owners knew I wouldn't be back but understood my situation.

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening
Yep, I've had my share of "never readys". They all learned real quick that "Will you come back later?" means tomorrow and READY TIME means "PKG READY TO GO" time.

It only took them 2-3 times of driving the 2h to the station to made sure it went out that night (Their parent company started to get pissed when samples weren't showing up on time) for them to learn that READY means "I show up, I pick up, I leave"... not "Later"

MassWineGuy

A two hour drive? That would have the proper effect. As I said, if an inexperienced customer needs some help filling out an airbill, I’m patient. If I show up for a regular pickup an hour or more after the ready time and I can’t take it and leave, that’s the last they’ll see of me until the next day.

Has anyone been told “But the other guy waits.”? It may be shocking but I’m not the other guy. I’ve also been told by customers that I don’t know how to do my job if I refuse a Ground piece. Oh, that will make me change my mind. Uh huh.