Walkway egress in driver car

Ptrunner

Hey I just got into a friendly discussion with an Orion supervisor. They said in cars an 18inch pathway is needed for drivers and us at all times. We all know that doesn't happen. For me as a preloader I've always waited until the last smalls come so I can put them all in orderly instead of tossing them in or climb over packages. I argued it is always a 28inch walk path for preloaders in case of emergency exit. Has anyone heard anything different. I'm trying to find OSHA related for the cars I just find the 28inch part.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hey I just got into a friendly discussion with an Orion supervisor. They said in cars an 18inch pathway is needed for drivers and us at all times. We all know that doesn't happen. For me as a preloader I've always waited until the last smalls come so I can put them all in orderly instead of tossing them in or climb over packages. I argued it is always a 28inch walk path for preloaders in case of emergency exit. Has anyone heard anything different. I'm trying to find OSHA related for the cars I just find the 28inch part.
18 inch walkpath. Learn to put as much of your bulk and irregs in without blocking your path. It can usually be done if you're smart about it.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

Try maintaining a clear walk path in a 500. When you get irregs that are big has the car.

Ptrunner

I just don't understand if a walk path is 28inches around the building wouldn't 28 be inside a car. I'm constantly walking in and out of the car so it is a walk path. Is the 18 one of those ups mandates or methods but in all reality it should be 28. I know when I was in trailers on different shifts and in unload and load it's a 28inch walk path

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I just don't understand if a walk path is 28inches around the building wouldn't 28 be inside a car. I'm constantly walking in and out of the car so it is a walk path. Is the 18 one of those ups mandates or methods but in all reality it should be 28. I know I'm trailers on the different shifts and in unload and load it's a 28inch walk path
I know next to nothing about trailers. In my almost 9 years as a loader....I've never even set foot inside a trailer. 18 inch path inside a PC is what I was always told. What the hell difference does it make? The.sup told you what it was.....do what you're told.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I don't load anything smaller than an 800.

Today UPS decided to let me load 5 trucks out in a module. With another guy on the other side loading three trucks and putting post office in a semi. 13 years I been at ups and loading. Every year it is something new or a new rule they come up with. Today a part time sup tried to convince the drivers have to read the the hin labels has opposed to addresses. These are the same people who stare at you when a truck is getting blown out and packages are getting damaged. Just loading it in they say. Bunch of ridicolouos people who I am convince just want to make your job harder.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know next to nothing about trailers. In my almost 9 years as a loader....I've never even set foot inside a trailer. 18 inch path inside a PC is what I was always told. What the hell difference does it make? The.sup told you what it was.....do what you're told.

Yeah, maintain that walk path inside package cars but don't stack anything out. How is that working out for you? :dead:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Today UPS decided to let me load 5 trucks out in a module. With another guy on the other side loading three trucks and putting post office in a semi. 13 years I been at ups and loading. Every year it is something new or a new rule they come up with. Today a part time sup tried to convince the drivers have to read the the hin labels has opposed to addresses. These are the same people who stare at you when a truck is getting blown out and packages are getting damaged. Just loading it in they say. Bunch of ridicolouos people who I am convince just want to make your job harder.
13 years and you still listen? I learned to ignore and turn up my ipod volume years ago.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Are they saying the path has to be maintained even when it's finished or only until you're done loading it? Because a truck leaving the building with a clear path front to back is a rare sight for me.

10 point

osha web site is having problems. Search for egress when its fixed
Actually, it's 28" in an escape route walk path but 26" on stairs.

If the lights would go out and you're loading inside a vehicle, confined space egress to escape should be at least 28" but length of egress in a confined space may also dictate a different width if "within x feet to an escape route".

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
What good would a walkway through the truck be? The first little bump and half the load falls off the shelves into the middle anyway.