Want to become a feeder driver

BrandonC

Hello I am 21 years old. I worked at UPS as a loader 3 years ago and quit cause I did not like the job after 2 months. But I recently just graduated National Tractor Trailer School in Liverpool,NY and got my CDL A. I joined up with Navajo Express to get some experience and that's where I am right now. But ever since my first day at UPS I wanted to know how I can become a Feeder driver.

So what should I do? The UPS website never have jobs opening in the Syracuse hub so I figured I should ask you guys,

Thank You.

UPS4Life

Well your first mistake was working here then quiting. For starters go back in part time and put your name on the list and wait. It's possible to come in from off the street but not likely. Ups hires from within and your experience doesn't mean anything against seniority.

Z

ZQXC

^ What he said.

The normal progression is to work part time for years, drive a delivery truck for years, then bid into feeder.

Box Ox

My HR rep tells new hires they'll permanently go on a do not re-hire naughty list if they quit within a year. Doesn't sound like it's for you anyway.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
search for tractor trailer driver at upsjobs.com there are openings in CT MA and PA, thats close to NY

silenze

Outside hires for feeder is most likely gone I would think as the way they are beating up p/c drivers everyone wants into feeders.

it depends on your hub. they blew through the FT and PT list here last year. hired like 8 guys off the street. there is a job opening on upsjobs.com for my hub.

Johney

it depends on your hub. they blew through the FT and PT list here last year. hired like 8 guys off the street. there is a job opening on upsjobs.com for my hub.
It amazes me that people pass feeders up. Off the street hire around here would NEVER happen.

silenze

It amazes me that people pass feeders up. Off the street hire around here would NEVER happen.
I know. I tell everyone i see how great the job is and they all balk at the idea of transferring. Always some lame excuse.

UPS4Life

There are new hires that just went full time ready to quit here. They're only driving 2-3 days a week refuse to work Sunday's and won't work in the hub for top rate and if they do it's only for 3-4 hours.

Box Ox

There are new hires that just went full time ready to quit here. They're only driving 2-3 days a week refuse to work Sunday's and won't work in the hub for top rate and if they do it's only for 3-4 hours.

Same at my center. Latest round of FT drivers coming back to make guest appearances on the PT shifts because they can't make a living otherwise. Which means lots of temp drivers will be benched this year. Won't even get close to needing outside hires.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

My HR rep tells new hires they'll permanently go on a do not re-hire naughty list if they quit within a year. Doesn't sound like it's for you anyway.
That's not an official policy, or they just don't make it known to supervisors. If you quit with no notice, yeah you're going on rehire. But if you tried to make it work, but just couldn't because of personal life issues or school, I'm not going to put you on No-rehire.

watdaflock?

Looks like an opening is coming soon in Kentucky.

ups111.jpg

Tough Guy

I can't speak for everyone, but personally, I'm not ashamed to say that I just don't know that I'd have the skill to drive one. Some of the industrial parks I see around here, with tiny parking areas, sometimes I see tractors make "blind" backwards horse shoe manuevers to get into spots. My hats really go off to those guys. It truly is an admirable skill when I see stuff like that.

rod

Retired 22 years
Has UPS changed their policy of not hiring "trained" semi drivers? I was always under the impression that they like to train them "their" way and not hire someone who already has bad semi driving habits.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Has UPS changed their policy of not hiring "trained" semi drivers? I was always under the impression that they like to train them "their" way and not hire someone who already has bad semi driving habits.

When you need drivers, you need drivers.