Want to Work What Should I Do?

I applied online for the package handler position in the Hartford, CT center and they called me in for an interview and everything went fine and the lady conducting the interview said we'll call when the background check comes back in. A few weeks later with no call I check the ups career website and I have updated information to fill out like direct deposit form and employee related stuff. But it has been a week in a half and still no call from UPS. And it doesn't help that the UPS center i applied to doesn't have a direct number. I really need and want this job to support myself for college and my son. What can I do to get this job? Did I get the job and I'm just waiting for an open slot?

So am I just waiting for a call to come in or what? I mean I'm clueless right now they ask for all that info and its been almost 2 weeks with no call.

anonymous4

I was hired over 5 years ago. I don't know with absolute certainty if the option to add your direct deposit and other information was available until you were hired but I am leaning towards you're hired. I went in for the interview/tour and was hired on the spot pending a background check. After that I was told to go back online and fill out that information. I would use google, put in the address of the center and dig for the information or if you're comfortable enough post what center here and I am sure you'd get a phone number. Maybe there was some confusion and that is why you haven't received a call. I'd pursue finding a number and not giving up until someone gives you answers. The place is a revolving door for those of low seniority so persistence would probably pay off. I am not in HR, but to me the most important thing they are trying to prophesize during hiring is if you will quit. This is hard, manual labor. I recommend a water bottle and headphones! Good luck!

Thanks. Its the Locust St Center in Hartford,CT. Ive searched high and low but no direct phone number to them. If you do find anything it will be greatly appreciated.

anonymous4

1-800-742-5877 is the only number I can find. It is not the hub. If you call the number you can say "talk to a person" then "track a package" or whatever it takes to get through to a human. I would hope they would give you the right number.

barnyard

KTM rider
They have a direct number, but do not publish it because so many people would call instead of doing as instructed, which is, "Wait for us to call you."

I applied online for the package handler position in the Hartford, CT center and they called me in for an interview and everything went fine and the lady conducting the interview said we'll call when the background check comes back in. A few weeks later with no call I check the ups career website and I have updated information to fill out like direct deposit form and employee related stuff. But it has been a week in a half and still no call from UPS. And it doesn't help that the UPS center i applied to doesn't have a direct number. I really need and want this job to support myself for college and my son. What can I do to get this job? Did I get the job and I'm just waiting for an open slot?
You should get a ups logo tattooed on your arm and show them. I bet they will hire you on the spot.

anonymous4

A particular center manager essentially told me that kissing ass is the most straight forward way to get ahead. He was attempting to drop a "subtle" hint my way. Every thread degenerates into ranting about terrible personal experiences at UPS. The truth is I enjoy my job most days. Humans be humans.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1-800-742-5877 is the only number I can find. It is not the hub. If you call the number you can say "talk to a person" then "track a package" or whatever it takes to get through to a human. I would hope they would give you the right number.

The toll free number will not give out the local number to anyone.

I went in yesterday afternoon talked to the receptionist there explained my situation to her and she wrote a note saying I came in for a follow up and that I will work any shift. Did I do the right thing? And when should I be getting a call before I contact them again? I don't want to come off as nagging you know?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Relax OP, they take forever to make things square and right just to have you work there.

As for the right thing... they look for anyone who will come in everytime. Hopefully, you dont fall into a shift that already has too many people and they send you home the majority of the time.

As for nagging, complaining or gripping... get used to it. Its almost common place with insiders here.

curiousbrain

IIRC, Hartford is boxline/cages; maybe search for a few threads with tips and tricks about it before you get hired; might put you ahead of the game. May I point you in the direction of ORLY!?! and Sleeve_meet_Heart, specifically.

edit: Assuming you get hired in Hartford, not the center, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ask some of the FT drivers that take 2-3 days off a week at the guard shack as they walk out while we are out here till 9 what you should do to get hired. Tell them the guy running 1/3 of thier route sent you.