wanting to be a driver

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
...depending on what part of the country you are from...
fantasyislandnew.jpg

8000Shelf

Manuals get me in a better flow for the day but automatics are easier on the body, quieter and ride better.

...oh and to the OP, you're better much SOL if you can't drive a stick the majority of the time at UPS

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
If you are currently a part time employee, see if you can talk a part time sup into letting you drive around the yard. That's how I learned.

PT Car Washer

If you are currently a part time employee, see if you can talk a part time sup into letting you drive around the yard. That's how I learned.
A PT sup would not have that kind of authority. Neither would a FT sup. Would have to be a manager's decision and we all know a manager is not allowed to make a decision.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Ok. To the OP, talk to your center manager AND a PT sup of your choosing about cruising in the yard and running into random stuff.
People running into random stuff is exactly why we're not allowed to do that here. Believe me I tried, begged even.
Luckily the person who gave my road test was lenient. I should have failed, grinded and missed gears, rubbed a curb on a turn, nervous as all hell. I knew how to drive a manual but my little honda was a world apart from one of our junkers.

It's really a shame they don't even let people drive around the yard first, then fail people for something they could have gotten the hang of within half an hour of driving. Probably turned away a lot of potentially good drivers in some places.

Pooter

Long shot.

Figure out who the Saturday Air supervisor is and ask if he can help you out when he is not busy.

Our on roads are nice guys and help out but every center is different

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
People running into random stuff is exactly why we're not allowed to do that here. Believe me I tried, begged even.
Luckily the person who gave my road test was lenient. I should have failed, grinded and missed gears, rubbed a curb on a turn, nervous as all hell. I knew how to drive a manual but my little honda was a world apart from one of our junkers.

It's really a shame they don't even let people drive around the yard first, then fail people for something they could have gotten the hang of within half an hour of driving. Probably turned away a lot of potentially good drivers in some places.
You mean running over people is NOT allowed?