Warning letter 4 driving too slow?

The self canceling fact to the sups argument is if a driver crashes going 58 in a 65 for some reason the first thing out of their mouth is you should have slowed down for conditions. Their little onboard computer only shows the given speed at any time. It doesn't show the station wagon full of kids with mom driving with a phone stuck in her ear that's driving all over the road.

It's a weak threat at best and with a couple of phone calls to the right people to bring attention to it and management will go back to harassing about something they can enforce.

raceanoncr

Bottom line is: When you're out there alone, package or feeder, you are "The Captain of the Ship". No one can order you to drive beyond your comfort zone.

The warning letter will not hold up. And remember, again, when there is discipline issued, it is up to the COMPANY to prove there was reason for the discipline, not you or not the union. Make them PROVE that what you were doing was Hazardous, causing you to INTENTIONALLY create more O/T, get the the customer or next hub late, etc. The proof is on THEIR shoulders. They issued it, make em PROVE it.

over9five

Staff member
Oh boy, just got a letter from the local regarding this. It says basically the driver got disciplined for going 5mph under the speed limit while TO. This IMHO is not unreasonable. It gets a little scary going 65 without a trailer.

I'm not comfortable posting the letter, but it's worded to start a fire let's say....

menotyou

bella amicizia
Absolute BS! The DOT would back you up, I would think. You are the captain of the ship, and you can't be forced to work unsafe. I have had Labor tell me that.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
UPS will have to change their 10 point commentary. Many times it is not possible or practical to maintain a 6 to 8 second lead time while driving on the Interstate while keeping up with the posted speed limit.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
T/O is dangerous to begin with (bob tail No trailer) All the weight of the truck is in the front,thus causing less braking action. all the little bumps in the road, or uneven travel lanes you cant notice in a car or light weight pick up are VERY noticable in a tractor,causing it to sway a bit on the highway! On top of this,we have drunks,texters and people falling asleep out there at 12/5 am !! Please TO at a controlled speed,you may never know what a quick move you gottah make !!