WARNING LETTER........what a joke!!!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I know. But, I was talking about this particular situation. I think they failed him.

Oh yea they failed him. I find the union more and more weak as time goes on. I see stewards even talking people out of filing at times, of course on our in building jobs. Union has gotten a little weak when it comes to UPS demands and harassment for all.

To add on, I've seen when ride alongs come, as a preloader, I see the amount drop. I probably dont see stops drop and accordingly. How about union member ride alongs, surprises ones. Shake things up a bit, lets see those union guys really see a hard days work. You are paying their dues now.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How could they have failed him??? The OP said nothing of filing a grievance and that is the only in that instance the union could do anything that would either help or be construed as a failure. The union can only be as successful as it's members allow it to be.

If the OP had added, "I grieved it all and the shop steward and then the BA looked at my grievance, crumpled it up and threw it away." Then I would agree that they failed him.

People at the union are not mind readers, they cannot look into a crystal ball and see management doing contract work.

WE are the union.

+10000000!!!!!!

TJtheUPSMan

My Steward has been very helpful in this situation and everything leading up to this. An oversupervision, intimidation and excessive rides grievence is in the works. When I told my manager that I was doing my best he responded with "Well. Your best isn't good enough!" There was no joking involved in that conversation.
I have been keeping a daily journal since the lock in ride and have made note of every hang up, delay and heavy delivery or search for package time. Of course, I take these notes down during my lunch and after I punch out. I only do company work on company time. I know this nonsense will pass soon enough, I feel comfortable with how the union has been working with me on this issue. We agreed to the lockin ride so that maybe they would see how screwed up my route is and maybe they could do something about the dispatch.
This all just seems to be a battle that mgmt wants to make a point out of. The only drivers they have been targeting for lock in rides are the ones who have routes that are over allowed. After almost our whole center changing routes this bid, mgmt only seems to be focusing on the problem ROUTES with over allowed. Drivers with good numbers before bids are now being targeted, while the drivers who bid off of bad number routes and onto good allowance routes are having no problems.
There comes a point, in theory, that mgmt will see that its THEIR allowances on these certain routes and not US drivers.

barnyard

KTM rider
There comes a point, in theory, that mgmt will see that its THEIR allowances on these certain routes and not US drivers.

I filed an over 9.5 grievance while I was running a route. According to their numbers, I was typically 1.2 -1.6 under-allowed. I was told the numbers for that route 'was way off' and that made dispatching that route very difficult. I replied, "That should make it even easier. Dispatch it with 9.5 hours everyday. I will run under and you will not get grieved."

After that, everytime someone said anything about running over on a route, I said, "I would imagine the numbers on that route are way off."

There is no way the numbers are close to accurate if I can run one route more than an hour under one day and another route an hour over the next, working at the same pace, doing everything the same way, with the same level of area knowledge.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I filed an over 9.5 grievance while I was running a route. According to their numbers, I was typically 1.2 -1.6 under-allowed. I was told the numbers for that route 'was way off' and that made dispatching that route very difficult. I replied, "That should make it even easier. Dispatch it with 9.5 hours everyday. I will run under and you will not get grieved."

After that, everytime someone said anything about running over on a route, I said, "I would imagine the numbers on that route are way off."

There is no way the numbers are close to accurate if I can run one route more than an hour under one day and another route an hour over the next, working at the same pace, doing everything the same way, with the same level of area knowledge.

No doubt, the numbers they supply are faked, always. I've known this for a few years now. They do the same to you as they do to rest of us, they lie. Profit seems to be the only fact for them, or a bonus, I choose bonus.

Integrity

Binge Poster
How could they have failed him??? The OP said nothing of filing a grievance and that is the only in that instance the union could do anything that would either help or be construed as a failure. The union can only be as successful as it's members allow it to be.

If the OP had added, "I grieved it all and the shop steward and then the BA looked at my grievance, crumpled it up and threw it away." Then I would agree that they failed him.

People at the union are not mind readers, they cannot look into a crystal ball and see management doing contract work.

WE are the union.
barnyard,

Union members are not the union.

The local and intenational Leadership are the ones who represent the membership.

This is a representational type of governance.

Weak local and international leadership results in a weak membership.

The recent track record and lack of integrity speaks for itself.

I feel the Teamsters are being divided and this will eventually lead to the Teamsters being conquered by UPS.

Sincerely,
I

kingOFchester

barnyard,

The local and intenational Leadership are the ones who represent the membership.

I feel the Teamsters are being divided and this will eventually lead to the Teamsters being conquered by UPS.

Sincerely,
I
Makes you think...

kingOFchester

"
There are no production standards....

-Bug-

Then why did the union spend our $$ on stickers that said "unfair Production Standards"? By passing out those stickers, the union just validated the fact that we work with specific production standards. If there are no production satndards then the union waisted money and time with silly stickers. If there are production standards then the union waisted time and money with those silly stickers.

barnyard,

Sincerely,
I
The members are the union and we the members elect our local union officials. I am the union in my parts as well as alot of other members that are too chicken $h|+ to get involved. These same members love to reap the financial rewards and blame the local union. They don't want to file a grievance because it might spoil there side deal with management. Or management could look in there glass house and see how dirty it is. Let's blame the local because they love to point the finger but all the while they just don't want to man up and do what is right which is take a stand for what is right.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
barnyard,

Sincerely,
I

You couldn't be more wrong I.
Union members are the union, first and foremost.
Leadership is chosen from amongst the members and unless empowered by the membership they have zero affect on anything.
That is where the disconnect exists within OUR union.
Your mindset illustrates the weakness that will be our union's undoing.
Leadership needs to exist at all levels of a union, from the guy working next to you, to the shop steward, to the local and international president.
A union is measured by the sum of it's parts, and only as strong as it's weakest link.
Make no mistake, our weakest link exists on the front line, not in any local or international office.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The members are the union and we the members elect our local union officials. I am the union in my parts as well as alot of other members that are too chicken $h|+ to get involved. These same members love to reap the financial rewards and blame the local union. They don't want to file a grievance because it might spoil there side deal with management. Or management could look in there glass house and see how dirty it is. Let's blame the local because they love to point the finger but all the while they just don't want to man up and do what is right which is take a stand for what is right.

Exactly right!!!
Unfortunately the site won't let me give you positive rep you again, so I'll have to give you a posted attaboy.
Will they wake up before it's too late????

Exactly right!!!
Unfortunately the site won't let me give you positive rep you again, so I'll have to give you a posted attaboy.
Will they wake up before it's too late????
An attaboy from YOU means way more than any positive rep I could ever get from this site because I know you are on the front lines just like me. Thanks

menotyou

bella amicizia
If they ever had a production standard ( in their definition ); no one would be working for UPS anymore.
I would love to see a production standard for my district management. I would be willing to propose it to them, even. I doubt the bulleye on my back can get any bigger!!

Integrity

Binge Poster

You couldn't be more wrong I.
Union members are the union, first and foremost.
Leadership is chosen from amongst the members and unless empowered by the membership they have zero affect on anything.
That is where the disconnect exists within OUR union.
Your mindset illustrates the weakness that will be our union's undoing.
Leadership needs to exist at all levels of a union, from the guy working next to you, to the shop steward, to the local and international president.
A union is measured by the sum of it's parts, and only as strong as it's weakest link.
Make no mistake, our weakest link exists on the front line, not in any local or international office.
anonymous an Bubblehead,

Having both of you disagree with me is not taken lightly.

I respect you both for your contributions to the Brown Cafe and the attitude you have about the truth.

You both seem to value the truth.

I agree with you on the point that the members are weak.

For the most part membership is blight with moral weakness, cowardice, self centeredness, dishonesty, insubordination, poor work ethic and lack of Integrity.

All of UPS suffers from these same character defects. Management as well as union members.

Integrity believes that every member is responsible to address every contract violation that is observed every time it is observed.

Every day if necessary.

It means something to be part of a union and members should act like it means something.

This being said, you both know that sadly this just isn't the case.

The morale of the membership is very low and continuing to decline daily.

What causes this?

Lack of leadership.

Lack of being led personally by the Truth and lack of be led by the leaders of the groups that individuals are associated with.

The Union.

True union leadership will honestly recognize the weaknesses of the membership and take any and all steps necessary to challenge and motivate the membership to union-like thought and action.

It is the Leaders responsibilty to galvanize the membership of the members they lead into united thought and action.

This applies to all Union representatives from Stewards all the way up to President of the International.

If they can't do this they are not true leaders.

Sincerely,
I

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Then why did the union spend our $$ on stickers that said "unfair Production Standards"? By passing out those stickers, the union just validated the fact that we work with specific production standards. If there are no production satndards then the union waisted money and time with silly stickers. If there are production standards then the union waisted time and money with those silly stickers.

Production standards exist, and the company is free to implement whatever production standards it wants to.

The union does not deny the existence of production standards...it denies the company the right to impose discipline on the membership for failing to meet those standards. Failing to "make scratch" is not a cause for suspension or termination.

The company is prefectly entitled to "time study" my route and make whatever operational decisions it wants to based upon the data it gathers, as long as my rights under Art 37 of the labor agreement are not violated.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I have to admit that was a little baffling....

Certainly did not support it or defend it.... Did not participate....

I can only speculate it was politically motivated.

Just like sitting on the convention floor in "06" when GP Hoffa and hall were

waving the piece of paper saying the Teamsters had a card check agreement for

UPS Freight. And now we know it was only for Indy.... at the time.

I hate politics.... but they know what their doing.... thats why they're there.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The union does not deny the existence of production standards...it denies the company the right to impose discipline on the membership for failing to meet those standards. Failing to "make scratch" is not a cause for suspension or termination.

With half of my 35 years serving in elected Union positions....

I have never seen any hourly Union employee lose their job

based solely on production.

Well said sober.

-Bug-