Warning letter without verbal warning???

Lita

i set my alarm wrong for the first time ..i am never late always at work least 5 minutes before..and this time i woke up 2 hrs late it was set for 1:05am sundays instead of monday..i called in to ask if i could still come and explained my alarm was set for sunday night not monday night..and they said plz come in..i got there to a crappy load my supervisor was doing and misloads...then my supervisor says hes gonna give me a warning letter for being late..wasnt i supposed to get a varbal first?? I told him i didnt accept it he needed to give me a verbal first he said he wasnt going to give me one unless i showed up late again..come yeaterday he said he changed his mind be was going through with it..ive never been late why is it a letter instead of a verbal warning? Is he wrong or am i?

Last edited:

ski or die

Ski or Die
Whenever a supervisor begins a disciplinary discussion, immediately request a union steward. The sup is not allowed to continue discussion till steward is present. Also, if you have never been late and have not had too many sick days, the steward will get letter removed as verbal because they can't give any warning for first time.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you get a warning letter, do not sign it, go to your shop steward and grieve it immediately.

I suspect the supe is irritated that you were late during peak. If you have never been late, it really should not be a problem. Happens to everyone once.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not a word from any of you stressing the importance of showing up on time, especially this time of year.

To the OP----if your PT sup does follow through on his WL threat file a grievance to have it thrown out/reduced to a verbal warning.

Lita

He didnt give me anything to sign he just said im going to recieve it in the mail the next couple days along witha steward then steward said i needed a verbal first to me..and then higher management said not to worry that itll erase after a while ..that "its just a warning im not fired" i still dont agree ..how do i file grievence? Who do i talk to for that my steward?

wayfair

swollen member
He didnt give me anything to sign he just said im going to recieve it in the mail the next couple days along witha steward then steward said i needed a verbal first to me..and then higher management said not to worry that itll erase after a while ..that "its just a warning im not fired" i still dont agree ..how do i file grievence? Who do i talk to for that my steward?
yes

BrownTexas

It is discipline. You need to worry about it. File a protest with your steward.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I actually think this sup is just blowing smoke to try and intimidate you. If he does send you a warning letter, immediately take it to your steward, contact manager that you are filing a grievance, have a steward present with you when you tell them. Don't let them talk you out of it. This letter could give them a step closer in the disciplinary process.

By The Book

Two hours late isn't like five minutes late. To a supervisor there isn't an excuse that you can think of that is good enough. I'm not talking about real serious issues here. He's very upset and probably blowing off steam. I doubt you'll get a warning letter in this case because your steward was there and he knows he's not following the grievance procedure.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Two hours late isn't like five minutes late. To a supervisor there isn't an excuse that you can think of that is good enough. I'm not talking about real serious issues here. He's very upset and probably blowing off steam. I doubt you'll get a warning letter in this case because your steward was there and he knows he's not following the grievance procedure.
He still called in when he woke up and explained what happened which is an honest mistake. And with this being his first time being late they can't do a single thing about it. You have to have over 6 occurrences in a 9 month period before you can ever get a verbal warning, let alone a warning letter.

Everyone is a little stressed out this time of the year. I'm sure this will be overlooked

upschuck

Your first time late, and you are getting a warning letter? Most areas, I believe, get 6 call-ins/lates in 9 months before they even think about doing anything. What does your supplement say about this? Should be an easy win for you steward.