Warning Letter

Crates

I was issued a warning letter for very skeptical reasons but the shop stewards at my building are telling me that no one is allowed to file a grievance on warning letters anymore. This makes absolutely no sense to me considering this is an actual step in the disciplinary process. Does anyone know if this is legitimate or these shop stewards are just full of crap?

Maryland - Atlantic Area Supplement

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I was issued a warning letter for very skeptical reasons but the shop stewards at my building are telling me that no one is allowed to file a grievance on warning letters anymore. This makes absolutely no sense to me considering this is an actual step in the disciplinary process. Does anyone know if this is legitimate or these shop stewards are just full of crap?

Maryland - Atlantic Area Supplement

I'd say your steward is full of shi....call your BA or better yet local president and tell them what's going on.

Crates

The actual face to face meeting I had with management took place on 7/9 but I didn't sign or receive a copy of the warning letter until yesterday. If the shop stewards are misleading me and I am allowed to grieve it do I still have time?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
out west you can not file on a warning letter. what was it for? I have a ton of them in my desk drawer. I read them to amuse myself. nothing usually comes of it unless you are a supreme screwup.

Crates

I'll go ahead and explain my entire situation since there seem to be some knowledgeable people in here. You guys can tell me if I'm guilty and just wasting my time.

I've been working preload here for almost 11 months. During this entire time we haven't had a single shop steward working on our shift. So every time I have a problem or want to file a grievance I have to stay after my shift and track down one of the driver shop stewards. They seem really disinterested in anything but drivers issues. One time I was trying to file a grievance on supes working and the shop steward told me he was working it out with management behind the scenes and that we shouldn't file on them for 30 days.

Anyways, the warning letter I received was for calling out sick on July 3rd. I requested off for that day about a month in advance and was denied. The reasons they gave me were I had no entitlements and more senior people already had off.

I completely understand the no entitlement thing *IF* it is used equally across the board but I am almost positive it is not and I am being singled out.

But even putting this aside, how can they prove I wasn't sick? I've been working there 11 months and never once called out sick. You're telling me that the first time I call out sick, even if it happened to be a day I was denied off, they can just write me up and the union won't even have my back? That seems like a dangerous game if we're just gonna be rolling over like that.

I knew the target was on my back and they would try something like this on me but it's complete garbage that all the shop stewards are telling me no one is allowed to grieve warning letters and the one that was present in the meeting didn't even defend me.

I'll go ahead and explain my entire situation since there seem to be some knowledgeable people in here. You guys can tell me if I'm guilty and just wasting my time.

I've been working preload here for almost 11 months. During this entire time we haven't had a single shop steward working on our shift. So every time I have a problem or want to file a grievance I have to stay after my shift and track down one of the driver shop stewards. They seem really disinterested in anything but drivers issues. One time I was trying to file a grievance on supes working and the shop steward told me he was working it out with management behind the scenes and that we shouldn't file on them for 30 days.

Anyways, the warning letter I received was for calling out sick on July 3rd. I requested off for that day about a month in advance and was denied. The reasons they gave me were I had no entitlements and more senior people already had off.

I completely understand the no entitlement thing *IF* it is used equally across the board but I am almost positive it is not and I am being singled out.

But even putting this aside, how can they prove I wasn't sick? I've been working there 11 months and never once called out sick. You're telling me that the first time I call out sick, even if it happened to be a day I was denied off, they can just write me up and the union won't even have my back? That seems like a dangerous game if we're just gonna be rolling over like that.

I knew the target was on my back and they would try something like this on me but it's complete garbage that all the shop stewards are telling me no one is allowed to grieve warning letters and the one that was present in the meeting didn't even defend me.
Time to go to a union meeting and voice your concerns.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
ok. warning letter..............don't worry about it. you don't call in sick every other day.

no shop stewards on your shift ? become one.

I can understand that this issue is super important to you but if you give co workers and driver shop stewards attitude, no one is going to help you. some battles are worth fighting and most stewards I know hear a lot of ridiculous complaints. they have to pick the battles worth fighting.

study your contract front and back and become a steward yourself. your co workers need you.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
But even putting this aside, how can they prove I wasn't sick? I've been working there 11 months and never once called out sick.

They can't prove anything, but it would certainly seem peculiar to anyone with half-a-brain how you somehow became ill the day before a holiday weekend after you a) requested off well in advance and were denied and b) have never called out in your 11 months with the company.

Grieve the warning letter, and in the future do yourself the favor and just call out if you need the day off.

AKCoverMan

This is the first day you called off ever in 11 months and they gave you a warning letter?

Did you actually say you were sick or just that you were not coming in? It's your first occur acne can't see that as a warning letter but saying sick when your not can get the dishonesty card played against you.

Indecisi0n

You cannot grieve a warning letter but you can and should write a rebuttal letter explaining your side of the story that gets attached to that warning letter. This way if it's ever brought up in arbitration they can read both sides of the story. There only a certain period of time after receiving the letter you can file that so stay on top of it.

You cannot grieve a warning letter but you can and should write a rebuttal letter explaining your side of the story that gets attached to that warning letter. This way if it's ever brought up in arbitration they can read both sides of the story. There only a certain period of time after receiving the letter you can file that so stay on top of it.
I always file under unjust discipline.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I think a warning letter isn't considered discipline. Never had this issue so not sure just relaying what I hear.

It's part of progressive discipline. That's why "x" number of them in "x" months can get you suspended or worse. At least that's how it's done here. Everywhere is different I suppose.