Was EDD Forced Like Orion

mrbrownstone

I've only been driving a few years and by the time I started EDD was simply viewed as a tool not a Bible like ORION. And, unlike ORION I was never told that EDD had to be followed closely although on some routes I could.

For all you guys that remember when EDD came out was the implementation similar to ORION in that you were supposed to follow it very closely?

It's very interesting because on all the ORION threads in here, I read about many being forced to make a certain compliance, 85% or above, while others say they no longer hear anything about it.

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
Not as much, not that I remember. It was different for me though. I asked my center manager at the time about it because I'm a little bit of a tech-dork and he said we actually had the system just set up in our building and if I wanted to check it out I could start using it. So you would point your DIAD at a little IR reader on the wall (No over the air download like now) and it populate all your deliveries. They warned me that since it was new not every sop would be in there so pay attention to your load so I didn't miss anything. It was all there from day one. But the biggest thing for us was how much time it would save because you didn't have to scan, then enter partial address to do the stop. All that was already done for you. Eventually from doing it so much at first other drivers would see me download my EDD and ask what it was and I'd show them and they would give it a shot. Most loved it, but as with any new tech, you had some older guys that were resistant to change.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Your diad was a blank slate that you manually entered every package and address into. The stops, if you had a preload, had hand written seq numbers and were just general sections, some with one number for an entire street.

Before that, I loaded my own truck by area knowledge. We had no preload at all. It was a driver sort and load. You loaded resis in your business section for those who lived and worked on your route. Sometimes the guy next to you would give you stops like that or you'd give him some.

That was the biggest bummer for old timers, when that went away. You got 2 stops for that and customers loved it.

EDD was an improvement due to the fact you could see at a glance what you had. Orion can't really compare to either of the previous systems.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I do remember having to hit a trace % of EDD when it was first fully implemented, but can't remember exactly what it was. Anyone else remember this? The difference was, if you didn't hit your trace, they would ask you what you wanted changed in your DOL to make so you could hit your trace.

oldngray

nowhere special
I do remember having to hit a trace % of EDD when it was first fully implemented, but can't remember exactly what it was. Anyone else remember this? The difference was, if you didn't hit your trace, they would ask you what you wanted changed in your DOL to make so you could hit your trace.

They wanted your percent on trace to be high with EDD. That was linked to the DOL so if your DOL was messed up then your trace would be bad. They could only adjust things so much though so a really bad loop would always be messed up. They only wanted the numbers to look better on a report so if your % was bad they would shut up about it as long as you got everything delivered.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't recall ever being asked to hit a trace % while on EDD.

Packmule

I remember that management teams went out on road to "trace" the route. But if drivers didn't like something local management was always willing to tweek it if your request made sense. Orion is supposed to be able to do the same, but never seems to work. And everyday the problem areas trace out differently so it's impossible to get a foundation from which to start.
Original EDD also remembered right hand rule, working to the right side of the road, and staying out of residential driveways.

10 point

I don't recall ever being asked to hit a trace % while on EDD.
We were instructed to run it at 75% or greater. They tried to get us to sign a doc to that end.
That lasted about a year.
We made lots of $ complying.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The biggest thing I remember about EDD was the supervisor implementing it in our center told us" your trcuk will be loaded Stop for stop! there will never be another misload again because the Spa Label will not only tell the preloader which truck to load the package on, but where in the truck to load it!!"

I still give that supervisor hell whenever he is ino ur building lol. He just smiles and walks off

we were encouraged to hit a certain trace at the begining but as routes were shifted and changed that fell by the wayside pretty quickly

BrownTexas

I think EDD was a great tool compared to Orion. EDD you could do the same thing everyday. You almost knew where your packages were in the car before even needing to look. With Orion it is different everyday. Plus HAVING to dig instead of it being optional really is the breaking point for me wanting to actually follow it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
EDD was never forced. 85% compliance was encouraged, but if it didnt work there was a supervisor with actual driving experience who was empowered to make the necessary changes. EDD was a tool, and a fairly good one if you used it with some common sense.
ORION, on the other hand, was designed and implemented by people who never did our jobs. At best, it is an irrelevant exercise in map theory. At its worst, it is an exercise in forced stupidity. Its a tool all right...but a tool that doesnt work. Its like telling a construction worker that he has to use a hammer 85% of the time even if 90% of the fasteners he is given are screws. Just pound away, and if the structure winds up collapsing it doesnt matter as long as the guy who issued that hammer can look good on a report.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Once edd came out they pretty much set it up the way I ran the area. Never heard anything about %'s. Now they beg me not to follow Orion. I'm having a blast