LeddySS98

My first stop every morning is the Post Office... I'm there every morning within 10 minutes of leaving the building... I back up to a dock, honking my horn while backing... get up against the dock, go around to the back of the truck, and ring the buzzer button on the wall... its a loud buzzer I can hear it going off from outside... So I push the buzzer, open the back door on my truck and it's bricked back to front... 400 - 600 pcs a day on that truck...
I grab a mail bag, scan it, stack it on the dock ledge against the overhead door, and repeat... scan, grab, stack, scan, grab, scan, grab, stack... After a couple minutes of the door not coming up, I reach around and push the buzzer again... go back to scanning... stacking... ring buzzer again... scan, stack, scan, stack... buzzer again... the stop finally zeros out on my Diad, I've been here now for almost 25 min. I have this behemoth wall of boxes stacked up 8 feet high, 10 feet wide, 3 to 4 rows deep... Get in my truck drive around to the front of the post office, go in and find a couple girls on there computer playing on facebook... they see me, one of them sticks there hands out to sign the board, I tell them no one ever came to open the back door, they tell me 'yeah we're short handed today', I get the signature and leave...

4 hrs later I get ODS'd to come to the bldg immediately... So I do and I walk in the office, and get met by this lady who I'm told is the 'post master'... she has a picture of my wall of boxes there on the door, and I get asked if I did that today... I agreed that yes that was me today and she went off on me how it's not secured and anyone could drive up and steal everything, and so on... I keep telling her that no one ever came to open the door up...

Center manager is gone to another building... On road supervisor was on car with another driver today... So it's just me, the office secretary, and the 'post master' in the room talking... So I dont know what will happen to me tomorrow when I show up for work...

I really cant even start my route until I get the post office out of the way and free up some room... so what do I do... sheet 147 boxes as closed??? obviously that would get me in trouble plus I'd have that much more work the next day

Can I be fired for this today? Was I in the wrong? I mean it's not perfect service, but given the circumstances I felt I did what was best given the situation... The secretary told me I left everything unsecured and that was wrong, and that I should have walked around to the front to get someone... So I reminded her that if I did that I'd still be leaving everything unsecured... she thought for a second and agreed that it would be... so now what... take everything i've scanned and stacked up and put it all back into the truck, close the truck up, walk around to the front of the bldg get someone to open the door, then go back around and open the truck back up and start unloading again???

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So it's just me, the office secretary, and the 'post master' in the room talking... So I dont know what will happen to me tomorrow when I show up for work...
I didn’t see where your steward was in the room nor any member of management.

Oh and BTW, maybe she should be talking to the person that signed your DIAD board, you know, her employee, releasing you from any liability.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Like they said, you will be fine. That "post master" can deal with those boxes herself since she is so short handed and he other employees are on Facebook. I would have done the exact same thing you did. Once an employee signs the Diad the packages are their responsibility, not ours.

PT Car Washer

You left a commercial delivery unsecured. The only thing on your side is the Post office girls signed for the delivery. You will not be fired, but expect some procedural changes tomorrow.

Rack em

Made the Podium
You left a commercial delivery unsecured. The only thing on your side is the Post office girls signed for the delivery. You will not be fired, but expect some procedural changes tomorrow.
As I recall, the OP clearly stated he told the ladies inside of the where abouts of the parcels. At that point they should have gone to the back to open the door since they signed for the packages.

Box Ox

I get the signature and leave...

4 hrs later I get ODS'd to come to the bldg immediately... So I do and I walk in the office, and get met by this lady who I'm told is the 'post master'... she has a picture of my wall of boxes there on the door, and I get asked if I did that today... I agreed that yes that was me today and she went off on me how it's not secured and anyone could drive up and steal everything, and so on... I keep telling her that no one ever came to open the door up...

100% not your problem. When you get a legit signature, the receiver is acknowledging that they have received their packages to their satisfaction. Only a problem for you if they specifically asked if the packages were inside and you said yes.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. The PO needs to examine their policies, not yours.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You should never have been called back to the office for that. The post master has no business talking to you directly about this issue. It should have been handled by the center manager, and the secretary (OMS?) should be the one in trouble for calling you back to the center. The person who signed for the packages is repsonsible for the security of said packages. Post Master should be yelling at her.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You should never have been called back to the office for that. The post master has no business talking to you directly about this issue. It should have been handled by the center manager, and the secretary (OMS?) should be the one in trouble for calling you back to the center. The person who signed for the packages is repsonsible for the security of said packages. Post Master should be yelling at her.
Problem with that is the postmaster would have to take responsibility of their employees, in this case, she’s responsible for. If she blames her employees, she’s at fault.

Box Ox

Problem with that is the postmaster would have to take responsibility of their employees, in this case, she’s responsible for. If she blames her employees, she’s at fault.

Yep. Only way to learn 'em is a fact smackdown if they want to push it. Every driver's gonna be on the receiving end of a ridiculous/untrue complaint at some point. Unless they're in the BOG. Those drivers don't get complaints.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yep. Only way to learn 'em is a fact smackdown if they want to push it. Every driver's gonna be on the receiving end of a ridiculous/untrue complaint at some point. Unless they're in the BOG. Those drivers don't get complaints.
I'm usually good for at least 2 complaints a week. I simply don't put up with customers bull:censored2: so I say what I have to say, give them the center number, then message the center letting them know I'm about to get a complaint.

rod

Retired 22 years
Next time find a little stick or something to wedge in the buzzer so it buzzes continuously while you do your scanning act. That will get their attention.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Try this, don’t even go to the back door. Scan one package and go in through the front door. Have them sign. Politely ask if there is anyone that can meet you around back. If told no proceed to brick out their front window. If told that someone will meet you out back, put the stop
in prerecord, drive around back, pull the stop out of prerecord and proceed to brick out the rear door. If spoken to again about this issue ask your management team how they would like you to proceed and write it down in front of them. You get paid by the hour. Train your customers, the postmaster and her employees are your customers. Mixing the delivery time up on them will also help to keep them on their toes.

If you couldn’t tell I’ve had the same problem.

LeddySS98

wow... Thank you all for all the responses... I feel better about it already... Closing them... holding the buzzer constant until they answer... leaving it all at the bldg in the morning, and picking it up at night and attempting it then after all my business and pickups are done and just camping out until whenever they come staying on the clock until then... those were already some of my ideas, and I seem to have been on the right page...

Thanks guys!!! = )