Was I wrong

Work right slow and safe

The center he works in starts no later then 9am and we have to take are lunch with in are 4th or 5th hr and it was about 2:15 then stopped at the store about 15min got back still no one waitted till about 2:50 then called and we only get a 30 min lunch.

not only that it was all open it was not in the best part of town I would not leave my car unlocked there for 2 min. it right in the middle of two gang's area

UnconTROLLed

perfection
YOu did the right thing.

However, I do not think the driver will lose his job. It will be your word versus his, correct? Telematics could possibly play into it , but the contract says otherwise.

Either way, job or no job, lesson learned.

UPS Lifer

The driver will not lose his job for this unless a management person or a concern was filed and the customer was willing to document what they saw then action could be taken.

This is a tad off the subject but a pet peeve of mine for package car security. If I was out on area and observed one of my drivers (key point - my drivers) with the keys left in the ignition I would take the package car and park it out of their sight or just drive it away. I made sure they did not know it was me. Sometimes I just took the keys and hid until I could tell that the impact had been made.

Can you imagine the sinking feeling in the pit of their stomach? You might think this is cruel but I never had to discipline a driver for it ...EVER! They learned their lesson the first time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree he did the right thing to call and check on the drivers well being. My point is that he could have left out the fact that he left the doors open. Something he knows you can be fired for.

I suppose he could have left out the fact that he left the doors open but the right thing to do is exactly what he did. Besides, it wouldn't have mattered if he had told them that or not. If his center is on PAS, there would have been a missing scans report generated which would have shown the tracking numbers of the missing pkgs and he would have had some 'splainin to do.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Upstate

What if that little diad was atalkin to the center, and per the center, the driver was delivering the whole time the conversation was taking place?

Who would need to do the splainin then? How did you deliver 18 stops during the last hour when your package car was parked, unlocked with nobody home?

Ah, all these guys that work so hard to get around the system, and yet they cry foul when the system bites them in the butt.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate

What if that little diad was atalkin to the center, and per the center, the driver was delivering the whole time the conversation was taking place?

Who would need to do the splainin then? How did you deliver 18 stops during the last hour when your package car was parked, unlocked with nobody home?

Ah, all these guys that work so hard to get around the system, and yet they cry foul when the system bites them in the butt.

d

I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. Good point.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I think you did the right thing in stopping. We all need to look out for one another. That's where the "good guy" ends. You knew you were informing the center manager about things another driver was doing wrong.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Kid, you did the right thing period. You didn't inform on the other driver. You reported a very suspicious situation. Had you known the driver was "having lunch with his wife" then you would have known better than to call in.

But to have an open package car that is unattended for the time you went by to get the drink and back, that would be very abnormal. I would be very concerned about the driver and report all the evidence I saw to help determine if there might have been foul play involved.

Its no skin off your nose that the driver made some really bonehead decisions before "lunch". If he was watching the package car to make sure packages were not walking off, then why did he not come out sooner when he saw you snooping around?

You didn't rat on him, you reported something that was very wrong involving a package car. Most would have done the same.

d

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think you did the right thing in stopping. We all need to look out for one another. That's where the "good guy" ends. You knew you were informing the center manager about things another driver was doing wrong.

Monday morning quarterbacks always know what the right thing to do ... always after the fact.

I think most people would think something was wrong in this situation.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Monday morning quarterbacks always know what the right thing to do ... always after the fact.

I think most people would think something was wrong in this situation.
OK. Situations dictate actions. If you feel you were right, you were right. If Hoke feels you were right, I feel you were right. I do respect his opinion. Although amusing at times, I think he weighs it out and then comments.

rocket man

I get it his pc was open hes allowed to have a personell computer and leave it open IM suprised no one took his pc. thats my story im stickin to it.:wink2: