Was the company still profitable on Friday?

Tough Guy

They didn't run quite every trip in our center. Damn near most though. I have to imagine we took them to the cleaners. I don't know how it was nationwide, but the volume per car fluctuated a lot for us. The fewest stops I saw was around 120, and the most I knew of was 208. ( could've been someone with more for all I know)

chris9834

In my center me and a couple others had 2 drivers to a car and we were trying are hardest to get them hours lol. It will be all smiles until uncle sam bends us over on are with holds but it was cool making 90 a hr for the 1st 8 then double over time. If anything they broke even on my route I didnt pick up but 10% of my usual pickup volume.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
In my center me and a couple others had 2 drivers to a car and we were trying are hardest to get them hours lol. It will be all smiles until uncle sam bends us over on are with holds but it was cool making 90 a hr for the 1st 8 then double over time. If anything they broke even on my route I didnt pick up but 10% of my usual pickup volume.

How does Uncle Sam bend you over? Most of us, I would guess would be in the 25% or 28% tax bracket. Is your family income over $208K?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How does Uncle Sam bend you over? Most of us, I would guess would be in the 25% or 28% tax bracket. Is your family income over $208K?

He is talking short term and, yes, anyone who did not take the time to adjust their W-4 and/or 401K will get hosed on taxes. They will get most of it back when they file.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
If UPS thought they would lose money. They would not have done it. When we go to work Monday, especially Tuesday. It will look like we never touched a box on Friday. I still think it was a waste of my day.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If UPS thought they would lose money. They would not have done it. When we go to work Monday, especially Tuesday. It will look like we never touched a box on Friday. I still think it was a waste of my day.

respectfully disagree. it doesn't matter if we made or lost money on Friday. we serviced the customer and that is what mattered to our customers.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
respectfully disagree. it doesn't matter if we Madre or lost money on Friday. we serviced the customer and that is what mattered to our customers.
Proves my point. It was just a PR move. On Monday my residential may be lighter but I am going to get a double blast of businesses. Starting Tuesday, I will be crushed.

clean hairy

Just taking Friday by itself, don't see how they made a profit.
For that one day, they paid crazy mad $$ for the same amount of work to get done.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For that one day, they paid crazy mad $$ for the same amount of work to get done.

In years past it was only air products that were delivered and operating costs were much lower. This year it was a regular day and, due to contractual language, operating costs were much, much higher ($130M just in overtime). Did we lose money? Short term--yes. Long term---working Black Friday clearly showed our willingness to do what it takes to get the job done.

clean hairy

True, Upstate.
Just realized this:
The Company can no longer affor to give us a $6 Turkey anymore, but they can give us Monster Bux the day after Thanksgiving!
Hmmm....

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
whats wrong with good PR? it benefits us all.
Nothing wrong with PR. But they took time I could have spent with my family. What angered me was not being able to choose to work that day. In the past I would volunteer but as I get older my body would like some additional time to heal from the beatings this job lashes out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I worked Saturday and am working tonight - honestly, the package cars I saw were already STUFFED ...not sure how preload is going to get all of Sunday/Monday work into them. Good luck :) Going to be a funny stretch