Was told today that my seniority carried over from last time I worked at ups? is this true?

Try and make this short and sweet for yall. I worked from October 26th 2011- December 22nd 2011, as a temporary peak Preloader. Everyone was laid off that was hired for peak after they were done using and abusin us. But anyway I started back up again 12-03-2014(peak again) but this time got to stay. My official hire date is 1-07-2015, and our probation range at my HUB, and i think most of the south, is 30 days.

So when i made my 30 my boss and supervisor told me that actually my official seniority dates back to my first time i worked there in October, and for me to sign the bid for cover driver because id probably get it. Is this possible that the systems data would allow all these years missed added to my seniority? it kinda seems dicked-up considering those 3 and half years, I DIDN'T work there. I don't feel as though it is fair to the people that have been slaving while i didn't have to, to watch me cut the line. But i REALLY REALLY want the job. Insight? Thanks!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Try and make this short and sweet for yall. I worked from October 26th 2011- December 22nd 2011, as a temporary peak Preloader. Everyone was laid off that was hired for peak after they were done using and abusin us. But anyway I started back up again 12-03-2014(peak again) but this time got to stay. My official hire date is 1-07-2015, and our probation range at my HUB, and i think most of the south, is 30 days.

So when i made my 30 my boss and supervisor told me that actually my official seniority dates back to my first time i worked there in October, and for me to sign the bid for cover driver because id probably get it. Is this possible that the systems data would allow all these years missed added to my seniority? it kinda seems dicked-up considering those 3 and half years, I DIDN'T work there. I don't feel as though it is fair to the people that have been slaving while i didn't have to, to watch me cut the line. But i REALLY REALLY want the job. Insight? Thanks!
You're boss is incorrect. Your seniority date is the date that you got your 30th day.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You're boss is incorrect. Your seniority date is the date that you got your 30th day.
Correction. Your seniority date is the first day you worked in 2015 as long as you got your 30 days in 90 or 120 days, depending on the supplement.

So your seniority date should be 1-07-2015.

thanks Mugarolla, I felt as if that was far-fetched myself. I learned quickly not to listen to anything supervisors say if theyre acting concerned about me moving up. It is usually just to pump my head up and work harder, and I'm an unloader so that makes it even more fitting for them to pump my head up for increased work rates.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Anytime you hear the word "rehire" it means you're starting all over for seniority sakes.

If it did carry over, lucky you; If not, tough luck because one of my buddies use to work at a hub for 4 years as a pre-loader and THOUGHT his seniority would carry over to the HUB that I work at and they reset his years. I feel really bad for the guy or whoever gets reset.

oldupsman

Sounds to me as if he wants you to the cover driver. If he wants to make your date Oct. 2011, let him. He can do whatever he wants.
I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about it and I'd keep my mouth shut. If somebody beneath you is unhappy about it, let them grieve it.

Same sort of thing happen to me when I started. I started off the street as a Christmas driver. After the holiday I got laid off
and sent to preload for a couple of months. Then I started driving again around March. center manager said "Since you're doing a good job
I'm going to make your starting date your first day back in last Oct." So my seniority date for fulltime was from the day I walked
in the door in Oct. Why would I say no to that?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My son worked at UPS while in high school and then went into the navy. He got out and went back to work for UPS again. Not only did he revert back to his old seniority date, but I believe he got all the raises retro as well. Maybe they thought you took military leave?

PT Car Washer

Correction. Your seniority date is the first day you worked in 2015 as long as you got your 30 days in 90 or 120 days, depending on the supplement.

So your seniority date should be 1-07-2015.
I was looking at the hub seniority list last night and there are many Nov and Dec 2014 seniority dates.

watdaflock?

My son worked at UPS while in high school and then went into the navy. He got out and went back to work for UPS again. Not only did he revert back to his old seniority date, but I believe he got all the raises retro as well. Maybe they thought you took military leave?
If UPS really does do this that is awesome for our military.

If anybody asks, that's exactly what you did. Military leave.
SaladTosser is wrong.

If you really did not serve in the military, do not lie about it in an attempt to make a few more bucks. It will not be that difficult to confirm if you were active duty.

Plus those people who lie about serving are POS.

oldngray

nowhere special
If UPS really does do this that is awesome for our military.

SaladTosser is wrong.

If you really did not serve in the military, do not lie about it in an attempt to make a few more bucks.

You can get a leave of absence to go into military and your seniority remains intact. Unless you are gone long enough (over 4 years? ) that UPS considers it a career move. And don't try to lie about it because UPS would be checking.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You can get a leave of absence to go into military and your seniority remains intact. Unless you are gone long enough (over 4 years? ) that UPS considers it a career move. And don't try to lie about it because UPS would be checking.
I believe it is 5 years or less of cumulative military service with 1 employer.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was looking at the hub seniority list last night and there are many Nov and Dec 2014 seniority dates.
In the Central, at least, it is possible to have a Nov or Dec seniority date. I was referring to the OP who made it sound like he was rehired as a seasonal and then retained after peak.

By The Book

If you worked 12/3/14 and worked thru peak and kept working your seniority date should be the first day you worked in 2014. Your official hire date could be later, but for seniority purposes it goes back to your first working day if they keep you on. Your hire date should be the last day of your probation, which as a part timer could be anywhere from 30 to 70 days in some areas.

9.5er

If you want to get a crack at the cover driver position sign the bid. Even if you are not the highest on the list. The others may disqualify themselves or have bad driving records. You never know. Sign all bids you are interested in.