Washington Bridge Collapse

DougHeffernan

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/23/us/washington-bridge-collapse/index.html

Luckily a UPS driver wasn't driving across at the time of the collapse because it would have been an avoidable accident charged to the driver.

I can't imagine sitting on the top of my car waiting for rescue.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369416907.578241.jpg
I would have to change my underwear too.

Reminds me of bridge that collapsed in Minnesota.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osocGiofdvc

Back in 2010 Congress stopped a plan for infrastructure improvement but approved the rebuilding of Iraq. Just makes you go hmmmm?!?!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369416892.278299.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369416907.578241.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
The people in this bridge collapse were lucky........no deaths.
We did however build the Gitmo detainees a lighted soccer field at $750 mllion !! Nice chunk of change could've updated this bridge.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
The people in this bridge collapse were lucky........no deaths.
We did however build the Gitmo detainees a lighted soccer field at $750 mllion !! Nice chunk of change could've updated this bridge.

Too bad the Republican Congress wont allow that to happen
Bridge Collapse Likely to Fall on Deaf Ears in Congress -- Again - ABC News

"Obama renewed in February his nearly annual call for $50 billion in additional transportation and infrastructure spending as part of his 2014 budget request. But Republicans said the proposal amounted to an unfunded wish list."

moreluck

golden ticket member
There NO money.....therefore, you can't keep spending.........unless Mooch wants to plant a money tree in her garden.

You don't spend money you don't have.........at least us peons on budgets follow that rule.

$20,000 to $40,000 oil portraits of all of congress adds up to a butt-load of money........why not use that instead of hanging ugly pictures in a hall.

bluehdmc

The infrastructure was falling apart before then. In 1983 a bridge collapsed on I-95 in Connecticut. That's when there was first talk about the infrastructure.

People want tax cuts, the Fed cuts taxes and in turn cuts funds to states, money that states used to spend on roads and bridges goes elsewhere. Bridges end up collapsing and then there talk about fixing the infrastructure. Then everthing goes fine for a while and people forget until the next time.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The infrastructure was falling apart before then. In 1983 a bridge collapsed on I-95 in Connecticut. That's when there was first talk about the infrastructure.

People want tax cuts, the Fed cuts taxes and in turn cuts funds to states, money that states used to spend on roads and bridges goes elsewhere. Bridges end up collapsing and then there talk about fixing the infrastructure. Then everthing goes fine for a while and people forget until the next time.
While the whole time $$$$$$ is wasted on foolish crap and sent to foreigners who hate us. Let's take care of us, first!!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
This bridge was in no danger of collapsing and was structurally sound. What was wrong was an unfortunate combination of a useless pilot car, a driver not observant of bridge height, and an oversize load. My state prefers to spend its record fuel tax on an expensive ferry system and new floating bridges with leaky pontoons.

roadrunner2012

Troll
The cost of borrowing is at an historical low. It would seem logical that NOW is the time to invest in rebuilding America. There is only one thing that stands in the way, a Republican Congress.

Congress holds the purse strings, and they want America to fail, at least for the time being.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The cost of borrowing is at an historical low. It would seem logical that NOW is the time to invest in rebuilding America. There is only one thing that stands in the way, a Republican Congress.

Congress holds the purse strings, and they want America to fail, at least for the time being.
Congress ????? Congress is BOTH the senate and the house.

It's like a pie cut in thirds.......1/3 is the house, 1/3 is the senate and the pres is like the other 1/3. How is it that the Republicans screw it all up for you ?????????????????? (yes, I know it's only half & half.....which is why I used "is like")

The senate isn't voting on anything either.

Last edited:

klein

Für Meno :)
Was a guy from the metro Edmonton area who brought it down !
Now, that's one of a hell of an insurance claim, eh ?

roadrunner2012

Troll
Congress ????? Congress is BOTH the senate and the house.

It's like a pie cut in thirds.......1/3 is the house, 1/3 is the senate and the pres is like the other 1/3. How is it that the Republicans screw it all up for you ?????????????????? (yes, I know it's only half & half.....which is why I used "is like")

The senate isn't voting on anything either.
To clarify for the slow witted, The House Of Representatives holds the purse strings. All spending originates there.

moreluck

golden ticket member
slow witted ??? That's not addressing the subject only........seems like name calling and put down to me. Your light doesn't shine any brighter by putting mine under the bushel basket.

roadrunner2012

Troll
slow witted ??? That's not addressing the subject only........seems like name calling and put down to me. Your light doesn't shine any brighter by putting mine under the bushel basket.
What's sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander, to quote a former presidential candidiate.