WDL's and Irate Customers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For the last few months, FedEx has been trading-off reducing hours for killing service, which is starting to have some real fallout with customers. This is, of course, a preview of the October "announcement", which is already being implemented in many areas of the country. No real surprises.

The big surprise is the uptick in Wrong Day Lates (WDL's) due to system failures. This tells me that systemically, Express is imploding right now. The numbers they publish may not reflect much of a change, but remember, that just like the SFA, they can publish whatever numbers they want.

Where I'm seeing this is with the customers. At least several times a week now, I have long-term customers asking "where is my package"? My reply is that I don't have it and to call 1800GoFedEx if they have an AWB number. Invariably, the package shows-up the next day... a day late. For a lot of customers, that isn't good enough, and I've had several say they're no longer specifying FedEx for their shipments and that they are requesting suppliers to use UPS NDA. Good, and I tell them that they are probably making the right choice. So are others.

I know that locally, we have several CTVs a week that miss aircraft, and also a few shuttles. Some of that is traffic, but most of it is understaffing routes and/or overburdening couriers with too much to do in the time they have available, Somewhere during the day, that will catch-up with FedEx, and crash the system...at least locally, in the form of freight that doesn't make the aircraft.

In Memphis, they're probably all comparing spreadsheets and scratching their heads as to why the new plan isn't working. "Must be local management's fault", or those "damned lazy couriers"...yeah, that's it. Let's blame it on the field. The computer says they can do MORE, and upper management agreed. As long as hours are reduced and money is saved, it's all good on their end.

Here's the deal. People are leaving, and the ones who are staying are calling-in sick, or just not caring when they do the job. They no longer care about service, sales leads, or much else than getting through the day without another OLCC or management threat. The RTDs I know, no longer take special shortcuts to make it to the ramp if they can, nor do they make any sort of extraordinary effort to make the plane. They don't care, and who can really blame them?

I foresee more of this as the witchhunt continues and they keep pressing for even more. The "talent" no longer cares about the quality of the show Fred, and you're too busy courting politicians to even care. Fred fiddles while Rome burns around him. I love it.

bbsam

Staff member
If this isn't an motivation for Fred to find a way to thread the legislative needle and get a contractor model in Express, nothing is. Or maybe that's already in the works.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If this isn't an motivation for Fred to find a way to thread the legislative needle and get a contractor model in Express, nothing is. Or maybe that's already in the works.

I'm sure he would love to do it. Too many hurdles, or maybe even his money won't buy him that kind of opportunity.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm sure you'd love that scam to filter down to Express but if FDX pisses off enough customers it'll all be too late. Memphis has clearly forgotten that you actually need to keep customers at least reasonably happy. But I'm sure engineering spreadsheets don't tell 'em that.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm sure you'd love that scam to filter down to Express but if FDX pisses off enough customers it'll all be too late. Memphis has clearly forgotten that you actually need to keep customers at least reasonably happy. But I'm sure engineering spreadsheets don't tell 'em that.
Seems like you guys are doing all you can to piss them off Fred may as well maximize his profits...and mine.:happy-very:

Lordtekk

Again I have never seen someone so happy at the demise of people's living. Really that's it ? Your bottom line and give me Express because I am so awesome and to hell with the other guys as long as I got mine ? You sometimes make good points and I acquiesce and admit I may be wrong. But wow I am just amazed as to the selfishness,cold heartedness,and down right disregard to the people who have built this company to the point that Fedex is able to acquire other companies. What is happening to us will make it's way to Ground that is guaranteed, the workers will say "Hey wait a minute now we are doing Express work but still making Ground money and no benefits" ? But it will never happen because of the RLA scam that Fred has been using will fly right out the window and all hell will break loose. You think they have not thought about it ? But the downfalls are greater than the benefits. Anyway dude you know who I am talking to,you seem to dislike the Express people and the venom you spew is really sad.

Lordtekk

Oh yeah and the WDL problem.I just tell people that I deliver it when it get's in my hands other than that I have nothing to do with it arriving late. But if you like you can call the 800 number complain and ask for a refund.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What an arrogant, yet typical thing for an idiot to say.....

In regards to BDSM post.......

bbsam is anything but an idiot. Arrogant? I would say he doesn't lack for confidence but is just shy of being arrogant. I wouldn't blame him if he were arrogant, especially after you Express guys have spent the greater part of the past 2 years dumping on him and the "scam" that he has taken full advantage of.

When the dust settles he will have the last laugh.

Lordtekk

bbsam is anything but an idiot. Arrogant? I would say he doesn't lack for confidence but is just shy of being arrogant. I wouldn't blame him if he were arrogant, especially after you Express guys have spent the greater part of the past 2 years dumping on him and the "scam" that he has taken full advantage of.
Highly unlikely,you guys have not been in Fedex long enough to know how it works and the way it changes. But the last laugh will be ours. But you know what I won't laugh I'll just have compassion and class.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I'm going to jump-in and also defend bbsam. I think he's one of the few ethical Ground contractors out there and he seems concerned enough about his employees to give them a fairer deal than most of them out there. He is eating our lunch right now, and may very well get our dinner eventually, but he isn't he one to blame....Fred S is. Perhaps he's a bit overconfident about the future, because most of us know that Mr. Smith will evntually find a way to "scam the scam", and take more profit away from the contractors. Wait and see.

Smith created the Ground scam, and he is the one perpetuating it. For now, it's legal, and bbsam is just trying to make a buck like the rest of us. He's been on here a long time, and although we disagree on a lot about FedEx, he's a decent, very intelligent guy.

bbsam

Staff member
Again I have never seen someone so happy at the demise of people's living. Really that's it ? Your bottom line and give me Express because I am so awesome and to hell with the other guys as long as I got mine ? You sometimes make good points and I acquiesce and admit I may be wrong. But wow I am just amazed as to the selfishness,cold heartedness,and down right disregard to the people who have built this company to the point that Fedex is able to acquire other companies. What is happening to us will make it's way to Ground that is guaranteed, the workers will say "Hey wait a minute now we are doing Express work but still making Ground money and no benefits" ? But it will never happen because of the RLA scam that Fred has been using will fly right out the window and all hell will break loose. You think they have not thought about it ? But the downfalls are greater than the benefits. Anyway dude you know who I am talking to,you seem to dislike the Express people and the venom you spew is really sad.

Hate? No, I don't hate Express. I just have one question. Why shouldn't it be Ground's turn to profit? The market has changed. People here have never hidden their distaste for Ground, yourself included. Arrogant? Confident. We have and do respond to challenges whatever they are. Not perfectly, but we claim "progress rather than perfection". Sometimes it feels like you guys expect us to bow at the feet of Express. Not gonna happen. I don't find you that impressive, my Lordtekk.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm going to jump-in and also defend bbsam. I think he's one of the few ethical Ground contractors out there and he seems concerned enough about his employees to give them a fairer deal than most of them out there. He is eating our lunch right now, and may very well get our dinner eventually, but he isn't he one to blame....Fred S is. Perhaps he's a bit overconfident about the future, because most of us know that Mr. Smith will evntually find a way to "scam the scam", and take more profit away from the contractors. Wait and see.

Smith created the Ground scam, and he is the one perpetuating it. For now, it's legal, and bbsam is just trying to make a buck like the rest of us. He's been on here a long time, and although we disagree on a lot about FedEx, he's a decent, very intelligent guy.
Thankyou, MFE. I think we have both grown mutual respect for each other's positions over the years. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Lordtekk

Hate? No, I don't hate Express. I just have one question. Why shouldn't it be Ground's turn to profit? The market has changed. People here have never hidden their distaste for Ground, yourself included. Arrogant? Confident. We have and do respond to challenges whatever they are. Not perfectly, but we claim "progress rather than perfection". Sometimes it feels like you guys expect us to bow at the feet of Express. Not gonna happen. I don't find you that impressive, my Lordtekk.
Actually my comments are about Ground are the ones you make. I did have respect for Ground until I started reading your post. The venom you spew and the anger and apparently jealousy that you have because we are employees and you are a contractor amaze me. You can deny it all you want but it shows in what you write. Oh they treat me so bad so I wish they all lose their jobs so Soccer Moms can do it. Funny thing is the Soccer moms will be taking your gig before ours. So no I do not expect you or anyone at Ground to bow at my feet,but if you want respect you give it,and I have not seen you give any. You are hoping for our demise and I take offense to that.Do your thing and we will do ours,but nothing ever stays the same in this company and when you reach your comfort zone,BOOM here comes something else. You can't prepare because no one knows what it is.

Last edited: