We are so embarrassed as a Country

Necropostophiliac

Some that pay attention are so embarrassed as a country.

Tag-Team: Assad joins Putin in pressing Obama to drop Syria strike threat

We are the the laughing stock of the world right now.

Thanks Mr. President and Mr. Kerry
statue-of-liberty-crying_zps0ee4c69d.jpg

Read more: Tag-Team: Assad joins Putin in pressing Obama to drop Syria strike threat | Fox News

As Obama Pauses Action, Putin Takes Center Stage

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Some that pay attention are so embarrassed as a country.

Tag-Team: Assad joins Putin in pressing Obama to drop Syria strike threat

We are the the laughing stock of the world right now.

Thanks Mr. President and Mr. Kerry
statue-of-liberty-crying_zps0ee4c69d.jpg

Read more: Tag-Team: Assad joins Putin in pressing Obama to drop Syria strike threat | Fox News

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/w...n-takes-center-stage.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Why exactly are we the laughing stock of the world? Cause we use diplomacy instead of gunboat diplomacy?

On one hand, you all dont want military interference in Syria, on the other hand, you want to attempt to convince the country that Obama is weak. you cant have it both ways. If you prefer gunboat diplomacy, then get your GOP buddies to authorize a military strike and then have the balls to carry it out until the job is finished.

You monday morning generals are the biggest reason this country is in a mess. You havent the FIRST clue as to what would happen if we got "TOUGH"..on Syria.

There is a balancing act involved. If you dont mind paying 8 bucks a gallon for gas, then by all means, lets show Assaad how tough we really are. If not, then STFU.

Peace

TOS

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
So...if we are ultimately able to eliminate (or seriously reduce) Syria's chemical weapons stockpile without firing a shot, that somehow makes us the "laughingstock" of the world? Compare our current diplomatic negotiations with Syria to Bush's invasion of Iraq...in search of non-existent WMD's...that cost tens of thousands of human lives, virtually destroyed a nation that posed no threat to us and had nothing to do with 9-11, and has driven our nation to the brink of financial insolvency. Call me silly, but I'd say that Obama is doing a helluva lot better than Bush in the foreign relations department.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
That fact that you think Kerry will accomplish anything thru talks is weird.
As a US Senator , he refused to help out in talks between the City of Boston & the BPD .
All that he is going to do is drag out these talks until everyone gives ups & goes home .

soberups

That fact that you think Kerry will accomplish anything thru talks is weird.
As a US Senator , he refused to help out in talks between the City of Boston & the BPD .
All that he is going to do is drag out these talks until everyone gives ups & goes home .

It is certainly possible that Kerry will be unable to negotiate any sort of a suitable deal with Russia regarding Syrias chemical weapons.

If that winds up being the case, fine. Let the Tomahawk rain begin. However, we have a moral obligation to exhaust all avenues of diplomacy before resorting to military force.

Dont overlook the fact that Putin is also putting his credibility on the line by continuing to vouch for the Assad regime and offering to involve Russia in the surrender of Syria's chemical weapons. We dont have to like Putin or the Russians, but we should have the wisdom to recognize the fact that he wants the same thing that we do, which is to prevent Syria from using chemical weapons. This isnt about egos, or national pride, or who has the biggest weiner. Its about trying to find a diplomatic method for preventing the use of a weapon of mass destruction which is a crime against humanity and a violation of international law.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm fairly proud of the country actually. Assad and Putin had to have come to a certain conclusion over the past few weeks. It's clear that the country has no desire to become engaged in another military conflict in the Middle East. Everything leads to Congress voting down any request for the authorization of force. So why give up the weapons? Assad claims it is not fear of attack from the U.S. but in response to a Russian request. Either way, the diplomats and chess players of the world stage concluded that the United States would take action no matter how unpopular and that the action would be devastating to the Assad regime and Russian interests in the region.

soberups

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Diplomacy isnt about pictures. It isnt about cartoons, it isnt about funny internet memes, and it doesnt fit neatly into one-line sound bites. Obama and Putin arent competing on "American Idol", they are negotiating with a dictator who posesses chemical weapons and has allegedly used them on civilians. Our goal is not too look good, it is to prevent a regime from using nerve gas in violation of international law. I will judge Obamas performance based upon the ultimate outcome of these negotiations, not on a photo of him wearing a goofy helmet on a bicycle.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Diplomacy isnt about pictures. It isnt about cartoons, it isnt about funny internet memes, and it doesnt fit neatly into one-line sound bites. Obama and Putin arent competing on "American Idol", they are negotiating with a dictator who posesses chemical weapons and has allegedly used them on civilians. Our goal is not too look good, it is to prevent a regime from using nerve gas in violation of international law. I will judge Obamas performance based upon the ultimate outcome of these negotiations, not on a photo of him wearing a goofy helmet on a bicycle.

"Obama and Putin" working together?? Do you really believe our interests and the Russians are the same? True, somewhere in there no one wants Syria to use chemical weapons or even possess them, but are you really taking all this at face value?
Have you been living the history and paying attention or did you just arrive here on earth?

soberups

"Obama and Putin" working together?? Do you really believe our interests and the Russians are the same? True, somewhere in there no one wants Syria to use chemical weapons or even possess them, but are you really taking all this at face value?
Have you been living the history and paying attention or did you just arrive here on earth?

Newsflash; the Cold War is over.

Russia is certainly a rival, and far from being a friend or ally, but they are no longer our sworn enemy either. We buy oil from them and cooperate with them on any number of international efforts. Our astronauts ride up to the Space Station in Soyuz rockets, and many of the facilities for dismantling Russian chemical weapons were designed and paid for by us. They are Syria's #1 supporter so logic dictates that we should make a sincere attempt at negotiations with both nations before initiating military action. Russia doesnt want us to bomb Syria and they dont want Assad to use chemical weapons, so in this case our goals are at least somewhat in alignment.

pretender

I respect your opinion, and I do not disagree with your statement. I was just responding to a picture that someone else put posted.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra

Russia is certainly a rival, and far from being a friend or ally, but they are no longer our sworn enemy either. We buy oil from them and cooperate with them on any number of international efforts. Our astronauts ride up to the Space Station in Soyuz rockets, and many of the facilities for dismantling Russian chemical weapons were designed and paid for by us. They are Syria's #1 supporter so logic dictates that we should make a sincere attempt at negotiations with both nations before initiating military action. Russia doesnt want us to bomb Syria and they dont want Assad to use chemical weapons, so in this case our goals are at least somewhat in alignment.

Can't follow the "dictated" logic here. By "we", I assume you are referring to "us" (USA); by "both nations", I assume you are referring to Syria and Russia. Where are we "negotiating" with Syria and Russia?? If you are referring to Kerry's activities, you certainly cannot refer to that as anything useful. The world is criticizing the USA for inept leadership. Is everyone wrong except you?
When I was slugging through numerous continents in my Armed Service career, the Cold War looked a lot different than it probably does to you, so I guess I have to consider your experiences with conflict.

bbsam

Staff member
If you haven't guessed by now, the world will criticize America no matter what. War, peace, surgical strikes or carpet bombing. Maybe we should wait and see how this plays out.

afterthought

And mark my words, the day will soon come, when sites like this will be taken down, and your thoughts will be muted.

Slowly, chip chip chip away at the 1st and the 2nd amendment.
Look what part of what the future holds:

Senate Amendment Would Give DOJ Power to Determine Who Is a 'Journalist

An amendment is moving through the Senate Judiciary Committee that would essentially allow the
government to determine who is a journalist for purposes of legal protection of sources.
Senate Amendment Would Give DOJ Power to Determine Who Is a 'Journalist'

afterthought

Meanwhile, in Realityville;

Elite Syrian Unit Scatters Chemical Arms Stockpile

A secretive Syrian military unit at the center of the Assad regime's chemical weapons program has been moving
stocks of poison gases and munitions to as many as 50 sites to make them harder for the U.S. to track, according
to American and Middle Eastern officials.
Elite Syrian Unit Scatters Chemical Arms Stockpile - WSJ.com