We Should Subsidize Solar Because I Hate Crony Capaitalism and Monopoly Energy!

BrownArmy

The irony is that so many people (generally, but also on this board) rally against welfare, but don't realize that the LION share of 'welfare' goes to corporations, take your pick.

So, if you're REALLY against welfare, let's end it!

ALL OF IT.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If you havent transitioned to solar, then you are just wasting your money on electricity. When you have it installed, you can either buy the system or lease the power for 20 years at a fixed rate. My edison bill (power company) costs me $2682.00 a year for electricity. In some of the cooler months, the bill averages around 120.00 a month, but in the summer months, it ranges in the 300 to 400 dollar range per month.

After installing solar power, my monthly bill is $115.00 each month fixed each month for the year. No more spikes or high bills in the hot months. The monthly rate is Capped at 2% increase per year and there are NO other fees, like the crappy $7 a month fee just to dismantle that P.O.S. San Onofre nuclear power plant.

Solar companies have a NOTHING down, nothing to maintain system available and you waive all the tax credits with the state in lieu of cheaper power.

In my town, there are 4 tiers to power charges. If less than 375 kilowatts, the charge is .17 cents per KWH. If more than 375 but less that 675 then the charge goes to .22 cents per KWH. If more than 675 but less than 975 then the charge is .28 cents per KWH. If more than 975 (where EVERYONE lives) the charge is .32 cents per KWH.

With solar, the rate is fixed at .15 cents per KWH (depending on area and design of solar power panels) and you will generate WAY MORE power than you are ever going to use. You can leave your AC on all day and night and your bill will remain $115.00 per month.

All new homes in california are being built with solar panels and only those foolish enough to bash solar will pay the high rates of the power companies while "we" laugh at them.

Solar is the best way to power your home at the cheapest possible price.

Peace

TOS

moreluck

golden ticket member
If you havent transitioned to solar, then you are just wasting your money on electricity. When you have it installed, you can either buy the system or lease the power for 20 years at a fixed rate. My edison bill (power company) costs me $2682.00 a year for electricity. In some of the cooler months, the bill averages around 120.00 a month, but in the summer months, it ranges in the 300 to 400 dollar range per month.

After installing solar power, my monthly bill is $115.00 each month fixed each month for the year. No more spikes or high bills in the hot months. The monthly rate is Capped at 2% increase per year and there are NO other fees, like the crappy $7 a month fee just to dismantle that P.O.S. San Onofre nuclear power plant.

Solar companies have a NOTHING down, nothing to maintain system available and you waive all the tax credits with the state in lieu of cheaper power.

In my town, there are 4 tiers to power charges. If less than 375 kilowatts, the charge is .17 cents per KWH. If more than 375 but less that 675 then the charge goes to .22 cents per KWH. If more than 675 but less than 975 then the charge is .28 cents per KWH. If more than 975 (where EVERYONE lives) the charge is .32 cents per KWH.

With solar, the rate is fixed at .15 cents per KWH (depending on area and design of solar power panels) and you will generate WAY MORE power than you are ever going to use. You can leave your AC on all day and night and your bill will remain $115.00 per month.

All new homes in california are being built with solar panels and only those foolish enough to bash solar will pay the high rates of the power companies while "we" laugh at them.

Peace

TOS
All new homes in CA have to be fitted to have solar panels........solar panels are not the law.......get your facts straight. Only two cities, Lancaster and Sebastapol require it.

ttp://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/10/california-towns-pass-law-requiring-new-buildings-to-have-solar-panels.html

wkmac

The irony is that so many people (generally, but also on this board) rally against welfare, but don't realize that the LION share of 'welfare' goes to corporations, take your pick.

So, if you're REALLY against welfare, let's end it!

ALL OF IT.

Seems you can add TOS to that list as well.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
All new homes in CA have to be fitted to have solar panels........solar panels are not the law.......get your facts straight. Only two cities, Lancaster and Sebastapol require it.

ttp://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/10/california-towns-pass-law-requiring-new-buildings-to-have-solar-panels.html

As usual, you are misinformed. ALL new housing projects under construction are using Solar panels, and there is NO law that forces them to do it, the builders know its a feature customers want. Maybe not in the trailer park, but in the single family homes, its a must.
Up on the Rooftop: Solar Panels on New Homes Becoming the New Norm

Time for an education M.L.

PEACE

TOS

moreluck

golden ticket member
As usual, you are misinformed. ALL new housing projects under construction are using Solar panels, and there is NO law that forces them to do it, the builders know its a feature customers want. Maybe not in the trailer park, but in the single family homes, its a must.
Up on the Rooftop: Solar Panels on New Homes Becoming the New Norm

Time for an education M.L.

PEACE

TOS
Your article says "new norm" . That's not a law !!!!
I'm providing proof.....Huffington says so too.....you are just saying so....... and that doesn't make it law. New builds must be fitted to accept
solar panels, but only 2 cities have adopted panels as the law. As a new construction I have a choice if I want solar or not as long as I'm not in the 2 cities I mentioned.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Your article says "new norm" . That's not a law !!!!
I'm providing proof.....Huffington says so too.....you are just saying so....... and that doesn't make it law. New builds must be fitted to accept
solar panels, but only 2 cities have adopted panels as the law. As a new construction I have a choice if I want solar or not as long as I'm not in the 2 cities I mentioned.

You introduced the word "LAW" into the conversation where the word "LAW" is irrelevant. Its the builders themselves who are electing to offer solar panel installations on new homes in california. The consumers are demanding such changes in new homes and while you still burn your incandesent bulbs burning high rates of energy, the rest of us are moving on to cheaper power.

Being a "relic" doesnt make you an expert on electricity. Try moving on with the times. This is the 21st century.

Peace

TOS

oldngray

nowhere special
Solar may make sense in Southern California but its very marginal in midwest and northeast. You "can" save money with solar but the break even point for installing solar is around 10 years or so.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Solar may make sense in Southern California but its very marginal in midwest and northeast. You "can" save money with solar but the break even point for installing solar is around 10 years or so.
What about Germany? It's a lot like the Midwest and Northeast.

brett636

Peace

TOS

I find it amusing that your subsidized solar electric rates are still more than my dirty old coal power plant electric rates.

oldngray

nowhere special
My power from coal power plants is also lower. The only current efforts to make solar more attractive are to try to raise the price of coal power as Obama is doing, instead of lowering the cost of solar to make it more competitive, as it should be done.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Does the sun not shine in those parts of the country? Maybe you dont understand how solar energy works. The break even point? There is no investment required. What are you trying to recoup?

Installation of solar in california is a ZERO investment opportunity. Nothing out of pocket. Maintenance costs the homeowner ZERO.

Again, maybe you dont understand how solar works.

Peace

TOS

brett636

Does the sun not shine in those parts of the country? Maybe you dont understand how solar energy works. The break even point? There is no investment required. What are you trying to recoup?

Installation of solar in california is a ZERO investment opportunity. Nothing out of pocket. Maintenance costs the homeowner ZERO.

Peace

TOS

Nothing is zero cost.

oldngray

nowhere special

Peace

TOS

Do the math. The cost of installing vs how long it takes to recover those costs in energy savings. And, no the sun does not shine consistently enough to rely completely on solar in other parts of the country. There are tax credits here for installing solar but they do not come close to paying for the installation cost. California is not the same. As I said in my first statement. And there ARE maintenance costs.

Do the math. The cost of installing vs how long it takes to recover those costs in energy savings. And, no the sun does not shine consistently enough to rely completely on solar in other parts of the country. There are tax credits here for installing solar but they do not come close to paying for the installation cost. California is not the same. As I said in my first statement. And there ARE maintenance costs.
ill glaply pay for solar power. Its a hell of alot better than sending our youngmen over seas! Shedding blood for oil! Whats the price tag on that??

oldngray

nowhere special
How about use domestic energy sources more? Renewables can only supply a portion of needs with current technology. The government needs to invest in domestic production - coal, oil ( how about that pipeline?), natural gas and nuclear. Wind, solar and geothermal for example need to be phased in but not forced on people before its economically feasible.

moreluck

golden ticket member
How about use domestic energy sources more? Renewables can only supply a portion of needs with current technology. The government needs to invest in domestic production - coal, oil ( how about that pipeline?), natural gas and nuclear. Wind, solar and geothermal for example need to be phased in but not forced on people before its economically feasible.
Like my mom used to say...."Don't cut off your nose to spite your face."