weather warning system at ups

Work right slow and safe

on thur the news put up a warning that there was a water spout off the coast and it was going to hit land at 245pm and it named 3 beaches in the warning I call my center mgr and told him and he stated that he was going to send a message out to let the drivers know to watch out for this. I have been back in the hub working since last week and i asked the drivers did they get the message and they stated no one told them anything . so ups has no way of getting this news to let there drivers know this is a very bad thing they could have been killed does any other center out there have a weather warning system for drivers and do you think we should have one in place

What do you mean they have no way? Very seldom is a driver on road without a DIAD. They have no intention of warning them, maybe.....but they do have a way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center is actually very good about getting safety messages out to the drivers, whether it be a weather alert or a traffic alert. There have been times when I have called in to let them know about an accident which would cause a delay and to ask the OMS to let incoming drivers know so that they could choose an alternate route back to the center.

Two times at the CACH we have had severe weather hit that warranted taking cover and neither time we were warned. One time a thunderstorm was so severe that we could not see and everyone came to a stop until it passed. The only message we got was Yard Control asking why the moves had stopped.
The second time we had a micro-burst come through and it actually tipped trailers over. Once again we received no warning until the storm had passed.

Note to self: Don't take cover under a trailer.

Funny you mentioned that. When they called in a wrecking service to right the trailers they lifted a 48' lying on its side and discovered a dolly that it had fallen over onto and that had punched a hole into the trailer.

Their "verbal" warning system here is a joke. Anymore guys will give a heads up on their radios and we`ll take cover in the wash tunnels or in the inside bathrooms.