Weight Restrictions

wtfrunner

Was placed on a 5lb weight restriction for a hernia. Doctor was very upset they made me come into work and clean, take out trash, mop. Can I be forced to come to work with a 5 lb weight restriction?

Nimnim

The Nim
In the NMA
Article 14 Section 2. Temporary Alternate Work
The Company may continue a modified work program on a nondis- criminatory basis. This program is designed to provide temporary work opportunity to those employees who are unable to perform their normal work assignments due to an on-the-job injury. Employees shall be provided their guaranteed hours with a start time no more than two (2) hours earlier or two (2) hours later than their normal start time for the duration of TAW, provided the work is available. The Company will make reasonable efforts to ensure that the assignment is within this window.These guaranteed hours will be reduced as medical restrictions dictate. Pay rates for TAW assignments will be as per the appropriate Supplement, Rider, Addendum, or area practice.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Here you answer the phone for 8 hours on taw, if your injury was on the job. Its not the most exciting way to spend the day, but it usually pays better than comp.

bigblu 2 you

dont touch anything,make them open doors for you.5 lb restriction means you are needing to heal.i would find a seat and camp out{boring as it may be}.take care of #1 cause #2 doesnt care about #1.

fr8dog

Another of my pet peeves. They talk about everyones safety all the time but they'll make a worker get up at 3 in the morning, grab his crutches and sit in break room all shift just so they get no lost time injury. the managers pie chart needs to look good for his bonus. Like that's supose to heal his injury sooner.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Another of my pet peeves. They talk about everyones safety all the time but they'll make a worker get up at 3 in the morning, grab his crutches and sit in break room all shift just so they get no lost time injury. the managers pie chart needs to look good for his bonus. Like that's supose to heal his injury sooner.

+1
And then the person who has a minor/milder injury requiring light duty cannot return to work if they filed a claim.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
so sleeve, if a claim has been filed they still have to come in?

Safety first, unless it costs us money (of course)

My understanding is that if you hurt yourself on-the-job, and agree not to report it and "work through it light duty", the company will find work for that person. We had one kid who tore his quadracep and continued working "light duty". We had a guy with a hernia who was not given light duty. One was a proven work related injury, the other not so much.

If you hurt yourself and file an injury report with Liberty Mutual and the company has any doubt whatsoever that it was not work-related (and can frame it that way) the company will give you the boot tell you not to come back and to follow up with the co doctor when you are ready to return. So basically go on temp disability.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
If you can't go to work, then don't. If you do and are asked to do something that you think is not a good idea, then don't do it. If you jump on board with the other anti-UPS hourlies, you'll reap what you sow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a FT seniority driver who was recently out of work for 6-8 weeks after having hernia surgery. He was not offered nor would have accepted TAW. He planned ahead by putting away some money each week before the surgery. He also put on at least 10-15 lbs and his yard looked really good by the time he was ready to come back.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In Kansas if you refuse the TAW you will be denied any work comp benefits, check your local rider and state laws. Also TAW is only allowed for 30 days, after that your off collecting comp, about a third of normal pay!!