Well, I found out that Im going to be a loader..=/

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
Im still in orientation, and the guy teaching us told me that they havent hired an unloader for 2 months. Only loaders, sorters, and small sorts.

Yesterday's class was easy, but today was way too hard. I understand the 8-5 rules easily, there is no problem with that. I got lost with packages that must be delivered within X amount of days. The black square is ground..6 days, so I load that without hesitation.

Then he mentioned about 3 days. He said something that if it goes to Kansas, then load it, if not..then putit aside. He then mentioned about 2 days, 1A, 1P, 1+, then 1+S. Im pretty positive none of those would get loaded onto a truck.

The hardest part was hazmats (not sure of the spelling). He showed us the red/white/black sticker of the hazmat, but then he mentioned something about a person signing through 6 pieces of paper, and you must put one paper in the truck. May anyone elaborate on this, or is there a site where I may learn more? >_<

browned out

You rip off one copy and put it in the designated place. Its a clear plasitic soft window envelope or a hard plastic envelope type thing in the cab or trailer.

It depends if you are loading package cars or trailers. Ask your sup where the hazmat 5 parts go for the vehicle you are loading.

LKLND3380

The hardest part was hazmats (not sure of the spelling). He showed us the red/white/black sticker of the hazmat, but then he mentioned something about a person signing through 6 pieces of paper, and you must put one paper in the truck. May anyone elaborate on this, or is there a site where I may learn more? >_<

I am guessing he showed you a sticker (poster) of Hazmats allowed in the UPS system - which can go by air and what MUST travel by ground.

Since you are loading...
1. CHECK FOR PROHIBITED POSTER
2. PULL SHIPPING PAPER AND CHECK FOR SLIC, INITIALS AND DATE
3. PLACE SHIPPING PAPERS IN POUCH BEHIND DRIVERS SEAT (IN THE CAB)
4. LOAD ON FLOOR NO HIGHER THAN WAIST, BLOCKED & BRACED BY OTHER PACKAGES, ORIENTATION ARROWS POINTED UP, SEGREGATED FROM OTHER TYPES OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS...

If you pull the last shipping paper or there is no shipping paper to pull DO NOT LOAD and Notify Supervisor to have a new six part form done...

BryantheLion

I will be loading trailers (Feeders, I think they call it)? So I just rip off one copy? It doesnt matter which? The only thing Im paranoid now, is loading a wrong package into the trailer. 1Day and 2Day packages I know wont go in the trailer, but how about 3, 4, 5 Day packages? I think it goes by state, not entirely sure on that one. And I really appreciate the help.

browned out

I am guessing he showed you a sticker (poster) of Hazmats allowed in the UPS system - which can go by air and what MUST travel by ground.

Since you are loading...
4. LOAD ON FLOOR NO HIGHER THAN WAIST, BLOCKED & BRACED BY OTHER PACKAGES, ORIENTATION ARROWS POINTED UP, SEGREGATED FROM OTHER TYPES OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS...

If you pull the last shipping paper or there is no shipping paper to pull DO NOT LOAD and Notify Supervisor to have a new six part form done...

Verbatim give him some safety bucks

BryantheLion

Since you are loading...

Ah, Im understanding more and more. He did show us a chart where UPS does not even carry certain types of packages. An example he gave us was dynamites. Then he showed us which ones must go on ground only. I really appreciate the help, the more I understand, the more safe I feel at holding down the position.

dillweed

You'll be fine, this stuff takes time to learn. Experience will take care of it all.

Pull the bottom copy on the haz pkgs.

If you have any doubts about whether to load or not just set it aside and wait for a sup to come by.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

what dilweed said. it's alot easier than it sounds, at least the mental aspect. physically, it'll suck (unless you're in really great shape). once you get a week or two in, you'll start to "get it" to the point it becomes like clockwork.

rootbeerman

I will be loading trailers (Feeders, I think they call it)? So I just rip off one copy? It doesnt matter which? The only thing Im paranoid now, is loading a wrong package into the trailer. 1Day and 2Day packages I know wont go in the trailer, but how about 3, 4, 5 Day packages? I think it goes by state, not entirely sure on that one. And I really appreciate the help.
Dont be paranoid about hazmats, i have been loading for about 2 weeks now and have only seen 3. the only time 1, 2 day should be going on a feeder is if its staying instate, atleast thats how i know it. If you are really unsure and dont have a load chart look at the return address and the shipping address, if it would take more than i days drive between them its not 1 or 2 day. The fun part is irregs that are 2' by 1' and weight 130lbs

oakcreekteamie

what helps to is the scanner wont accept the package if it is out of the service for the trailer. like a 1A wont go in my trailer so my scanner will beep telling me the error.

oakcreekteamie

for me, hazs are loaded at the end of the night. pullers are not allowed to pull the hazs and they will be sent through the chute of internals which then someone will pick them out and pile em up until the end of the night. so, when it comes time to close her up then it is time to worry about the hazs

SoyFish

Im still in orientation, and the guy teaching us told me that they havent hired an unloader for 2 months. Only loaders, sorters, and small sorts.

Yesterday's class was easy, but today was way too hard. I understand the 8-5 rules easily, there is no problem with that. I got lost with packages that must be delivered within X amount of days. The black square is ground..6 days, so I load that without hesitation.

Then he mentioned about 3 days. He said something that if it goes to Kansas, then load it, if not..then putit aside. He then mentioned about 2 days, 1A, 1P, 1+, then 1+S. Im pretty positive none of those would get loaded onto a truck.

LOL Daz.

Anyways about the ground, 1day, 2day, 3day air packages...it all depends on what truck your in. Some get ground and all three, some ground and 3day. etc. Just be sure that your PT sup gives you a check chart.

Also watch out for missorts, because they happen even to the best of us <_<