Well, it's been a good ride

The Milkman

As of Monday May 1st I will no longer have medical, dental & vision benefits because I turn 65 in two weeks. Having these benefits made my decision to hang it up easy as soon as I was eligible. No waiting for the next contract, no more taking the daily stress and crap handed to you everyday while in your browns. Yes the costs that I was told I would pay over these last 10 years has crept up, but all in all I feel blessed to of had them. Hard to believe that it will be 10 years on 1/1/18 that I walked out into retirement.
Time flies, and that is the one thing we cannot buy. I value my time on this earth as priceless. Myself and others who have benefited with these retirement health care plans have truly earned them. As everyone someday will make that decision, you have to think back about those who have paved the way to where we are today. I feel lucky that as I look back on the Union itself , the old timers who helped me when I was a rookie, who gave me solid advice from experiences that they had prior to my hiring. I carried that advice and had respect for those who made things amongst us as a team of Brothers & Sisters a symbol of Strength, something that I feel today is somewhat lacking.

Since 1981 there has been many changes with UPS here and around the world, but the one thing that cannot change is that all of you still working have to stick together and hold strong in the face of the many changes that come about contract after contract.

Ups would like nothing better than to dissolve the Union, and cause us to fight amongst ourselves, which I am sure many of you can relate. I never thought that some of the hard earned benefits earned by those before me, and handed to me when I got hired would someday vanish little by little like erosion of a beach, not to return. I now move on with Life, dealing with SS medical, and a steady pension check every month.
Not many in this country can say they retired at 55 with medical benefits, we could because of banding together to make a better future for ourselves, our Families, current workers and retirees that follow. Without the Brotherhood I experienced with over 25 years at UPS that would of not been possible. My hats off to those who made the last 35+ years of my life better, something that some would come to envy, and for that I am Very Thankful, I am a blessed and Lucky guy for sure. Peace To All

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Live Long & Prosper!

Live Long and Prosper.jpg

Johnny K

This is not the end. There is life after the Big Brown Machine.
Hook up with a UPS retiree group in your area and enjoy the new way of life.
Turning 65 is a little different too.
Medicare kicks in. In my case my health care payment cost went down. We bought the friend plan at AARP. It covers all cost so far. We are high risk.
Good luck!

tarbar66

I believe everyone that has been retired over 5 years can agree with your statement. Those that have been gone 10 plus years wonder where the time has went. The other day I stopped to talk to the most vocal feeder driver in our center who has been retired at least 20 years. Known as the "Shot of Goodies" out on I-80 he keeps a running tab on how much pension and Social Security money he has earned. He said while the money has been good the time retired has been priceless.

Never work a day longer than you have too!

badpal

Well congrats milkman enjoy. I getting closer to 65 each day myself, but hoping to go as long as I can. But one thing you said kinda confused me. Does a fella lose his UPS insurance when he turns 65 even when your still employed? One reason I thought of working past 65 was just so I didn't have to deal with that medicare and social security hassle for as long as I could. Enjoy your retirement

ski or die

Ski or Die
Well congrats milkman enjoy. I getting closer to 65 each day myself, but hoping to go as long as I can. But one thing you said kinda confused me. Does a fella lose his UPS insurance when he turns 65 even when your still employed? One reason I thought of working past 65 was just so I didn't have to deal with that medicare and social security hassle for as long as I could. Enjoy your retirement
If still working at UPS, your health insurance remains your primary. You have to file for Medicare within 4 months of retiring. Eventually when Medicare is your primary and you purchase a good Supplement Insurance pkg, you will see the coverages beats UPS insurance hands down. I retired 19 years ago, still able to enjoy life and family. I believe each year I have been retired has added additional months on my life, not dealing with the stress and pressures UPS puts on its employees.

oldngray

nowhere special
If still working at UPS, your health insurance remains your primary. You have to file for Medicare within 4 months of retiring. Eventually when Medicare is your primary and you purchase a good Supplement Insurance pkg, you will see the coverages beats UPS insurance hands down. I retired 19 years ago, still able to enjoy life and family. I believe each year I have been retired has added additional months on my life, not dealing with the stress and pressures UPS puts on its employees.

You don't need to file for Medicare withing 4 months of retiring. Maybe from when you become eligible but not the same thing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't need to file for Medicare withing 4 months of retiring. Maybe from when you become eligible but not the same thing.

I believe his comments were directed to Milkman who was somewhat vague in his post as to whether he was retired or still working when he went to apply for Medicare.

rod

Retired 22 years

That has me baffled. Why would you consider SS and Medicare a "hassle". Between the 2 of them it might take a half hour out of your life to sign up. With Medicare they come after you and issue you a card automatically. My wife signed up for SS on the internet. It took all of 15-20 minutes.

badpal

That has me baffled. Why would you consider SS and Medicare a "hassle". Between the 2 of them it might take a half hour out of your life to sign up. With Medicare they come after you and issue you a card automatically. My wife signed up for SS on the internet. It took all of 15-20 minutes.
That's good to know about the internet sign up, I was always worried since I lost the little card I got years ago it would be a pain. But you hear people talking bout that A B C D E friend supplements stuff with the medicare. It gets kinda like signing up for our pension, more than I rather deal with . Thanks for the advice though I might nose around that social security website one of these days.

UPS Preloader

That's good to know about the internet sign up, I was always worried since I lost the little card I got years ago it would be a pain. But you hear people talking bout that A B C D E friend supplements stuff with the medicare. It gets kinda like signing up for our pension, more than I rather deal with . Thanks for the advice though I might nose around that social security website one of these days.

I deal with those plans away from UPS. PM me with any questions.

The Milkman

As long as you are working you have benefits like you have had all along, But in my old Local 177, when you hit 65, you get the boot

rod

Retired 22 years

A--covers Hospital & facilitys
B--covers some of your medical expenses
C-- this is the supplement you buy from a private insurance company that coves a lot of what Medicare don't.
D--Covers your prescriptions.

Your Medicare coverage is deducted from your SS check. (hows that for paying twice for something)

The Milkman

This is not the end. There is life after the Big Brown Machine.
Hook up with a UPS retiree group in your area and enjoy the new way of life.
Turning 65 is a little different too.
Medicare kicks in. In my case my health care payment cost went down. We bought the friend plan at AARP. It covers all cost so far. We are high risk.
Good luck!
There sure is Life After Brown! Retired from Jersey to Arizona, miss the old boys back east

Shiftless

Congrats Milkman!

Your comment "I value my time on this earth as priceless." I am with you 100%

5-5-17 its 12 years for me. Wont turn 62 till end of July. Yup! Don't do the math, I was 49 in May when I walked out, but didn't retire on paper till months after my 50 B-day. You should have seen all the individual checks. BEST payroll clerk ever!

I took advantage of early retirement from UPS/Teamsters and SS is next on my hit list. Numbers work for me. First in, First out!
Medicare I'ma comin for ya!

rod

Retired 22 years
There sure is Life After Brown! Retired from Jersey to Arizona, miss the old boys back east

Our retirees get together once a month for breakfast if they are in town. We usually have 12 to 15 of us. Not much shop talk anymore. Now its mostly about aches and pains:rolleyes:

rod

Retired 22 years
Congrats Milkman!

Your comment "I value my time on this earth as priceless." I am with you 100%

5-5-17 its 12 years for me. Wont turn 62 till end of July. Yup! Don't do the math, I was 49 in May when I walked out, but didn't retire on paper till months after my 50 B-day. You should have seen all the individual checks. BEST payroll clerk ever!

I took advantage of early retirement from UPS/Teamsters and SS is next on my hit list. Numbers work for me. First in, First out!
Medicare I'ma comin for ya!

I try to convince everyone to wait until 70 to draw SS. I don't want them getting into my share of the pie. I started SS at 62 and a half.