Well this should be interesting...

bbsam

Staff member
Our terminal has quite a few older trucks with very minor oil leaks. It seems district and therefore local management has taken a very hard line view on these leaks as DOT violations. How minor are the leaks? I have a 1998 International that leaves about a quarter size spot of oil over the weekend. My question is this; Is this a normal interpretation of "leaks" as defined by the DOT?

Our terminal has quite a few older trucks with very minor oil leaks. It seems district and therefore local management has taken a very hard line view on these leaks as DOT violations. How minor are the leaks? I have a 1998 International that leaves about a quarter size spot of oil over the weekend. My question is this; Is this a normal interpretation of "leaks" as defined by the DOT?
Yes!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Funny how UPS doesn't have the same interpretation with THEIR vehicles leaking oil.

STFXG

Part 396
INSPECTION, REPAIR, AND MAINTENANCE

< 395 | 397 >

§ 396.5: Lubrication.

Every motor carrier shall ensure that each motor vehicle subject to its control is—

(a) Properly lubricated; and

(b) Free of oil and grease leaks.

STFXG

I was pulled over once in the daytime for a headlight out. I had a spare in the truck and told him I would swap it out and must have just gone out while running. Showed him the spare bulb. Still wrote me a fix-it ticket.

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Lets face it minor details are only noticed by the seasoned driver especially if it is leaking under his or her truck. Load and go is the only philosopy right now. You write it up and boom your truck is gone and a piece of crap is parked in its place.