well..

Hello everyone.
I posted a little while ago in the introduction section. I'm currently a material handler for fedex and just got a courier job. I start courier school on the 15th of Oct, then start my new job on the 22nd.
I live in jacksonville, florida. don't know if anyone has any experience here, but was just wondering if anyone has any tips for me or maybe some things i should be expecting. thanks guys!

check6ii

Man-give the noob a flippin break!

Purplecourier, good luck to you and your endeavors. The best I can tell you is CYA. Cover your arse. Do your best to NOT do anything wrong. If you arent sure, make a phone call to your manager, your dispatcher, other courier, etc........and do so in a way that there is ducumentation thru ppad, or texts etc.

AND NEVER DO ANYTHING PURPOSELY THAT CAN GET YOU FIRED. DO NOT FALSIFY. Conduct yourself in a professional manner. If a customer or even a non customer gets lippy with you, ZIP IT. Dont even engage them. Call dispatch or your mgr and tell them hey-just wanna let ya know that bla bla bla occured. Cuz if you dont-I can almost guarantee you that person will call! And then you are screwed. CYA!!!!!!!!

hypo hanna

CYA all the time. Don't phone when you can send a text via ppad.
Your manager is tasked with getting max productivity and will do it at the expense of customer service and safety. PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES!
If you are being pushed into unsafe practices, you need to push back and do it in a way that is documented. If your numbers are set too high, request in writing a check ride. If that doesn't resolve the situation ask your manager in writing to run the route with you observing to show you how it can be done.
He/she should be able to run any route asked of you.

Goldilocks

CYA all the time. Don't phone when you can send a text via ppad.
Your manager is tasked with getting max productivity and will do it at the expense of customer service and safety. PROTECT YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES!
If you are being pushed into unsafe practices, you need to push back and do it in a way that is documented. If your numbers are set too high, request in writing a check ride. If that doesn't resolve the situation ask your manager in writing to run the route with you observing to show you how it can be done.
He/she should be able to run any route asked of you.

Yep, CYA and document. PPAD messages are a great way to protect yourself.

wow thanks guys! ha wtf have i gotten myself into.
ah well, still looking forward to it.
somewhat used to covering my A already working for fed but sounds like ill need to be doing a lot more of it. lol.
thanks again!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
wow thanks guys! ha wtf have i gotten myself into.
ah well, still looking forward to it.
somewhat used to covering my A already working for fed but sounds like ill need to be doing a lot more of it. lol.
thanks again!

You've been given some sage advice by others. Keep us informed, and let us know what you think after 90 days or so...if you're still there.

Doc Sorting Dude

Use your "newness" to why you have lates and don't let the other couriers dump on you. When you are a new courier, dispatch is your best friend, if you need help on dels or pups give them adequate warning so they can cover you, don't wait till last minute.

Bailey4

I take it a step further if there is something they tell me that I think is questionable on my power pad, I take the old cell phone out and take a snap shot of the screen. Then, I can retrieve the info at a moments notice if the need should arise.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I take it a step further if there is something they tell me that I think is questionable on my power pad, I take the old cell phone out and take a snap shot of the screen. Then, I can retrieve the info at a moments notice if the need should arise.

May I also add that it is smart to keep a journal, with names, dates, witnesses, and an exact description of what transpired. Since you are new, that will be a bit difficult. Also, whatever you do, do NOT falsify anything. Some couriers might tell you ways to "beat the system" that will allow you to work through lunch and keep management off your back. Put the onus back onto management whenever possible, and use your smartphone whenever you can to document and back-up your statements.

hypo hanna

Keep in mind this is no longer anything you can make a career out of. It is not the job for someone who has a spouse or kids. If you have any aspirations for something better, plan on leaving FedEx ASAP. Go to school and get a degree. Try a trade school. Always keep an eye out for something else.
You need to view this relationship with FedEx as temporary. Make no mistake, that's how they are viewing you.

Keep in mind this is no longer anything you can make a career out of. It is not the job for someone who has a spouse or kids. If you have any aspirations for something better, plan on leaving FedEx ASAP. Go to school and get a degree. Try a trade school. Always keep an eye out for something else.
You need to view this relationship with FedEx as temporary. Make no mistake, that's how they are viewing you.

what makes you say that they are viewing me as only temporary? i don't agree with you on that.
i am currently a student, so im working on that. and i also dont plan on being a courier forever. id like to be an RTD once my req 2 years are up on my courier position then either do something else there or get a job with my degree. or both

hypo hanna

I can't speak to RTD. Maybe they top out sooner but I'm fairly certain that drivers are jerked around on schedules like the other drivers are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
what makes you say that they are viewing me as only temporary? i don't agree with you on that.
i am currently a student, so im working on that. and i also dont plan on being a courier forever. id like to be an RTD once my req 2 years are up on my courier position then either do something else there or get a job with my degree. or both

RTDs' tend to be pretty senior, although there are exceptions. And they all start as PT.

panozman

Knowing several of them, the answer to that is a resounding YES. They get jerked around just as much as the rest of us.
I'm a FT Vacation Relief RTD or Swing Driver as known by Couriers. It use to be we knew what our schedule would be based on who was scheduled off but thats out the window now as our Mgr has decided to get creative and use us to cover any openings that come up or openings that require OT to fill.

fedex435

Just do your best....find a veteran that works hard if you have any questions and watch out for the old farts who will screw you over because "they've earned the right"...I strongly encourage you to complete your degree and move on to something bigger and better where working hard actually will pay off for you.

DontThrowPackages

Use your "newness" to why you have lates and don't let the other couriers dump on you. When you are a new courier, dispatch is your best friend, if you need help on dels or pups give them adequate warning so they can cover you, don't wait till last minute.
If you demonstrate you can do 30 stops an hour, then 30 stops per hour will be your goal. If you demonstrate to dispatch you suck as a courier, they will give you all the help you need by having other couriers do you're stops and such. Believe me, I've seen it. Still see it now. Best advise has been given to you, CYA, Photograph questionable items and dont be too fast. Safety first.

Glorifiedpackmule

If you demonstrate you can do 30 stops an hour, then 30 stops per hour will be your goal. If you demonstrate to dispatch you suck as a courier, they will give you all the help you need by having other couriers do you're stops and such. Believe me, I've seen it. Still see it now. Best advise has been given to you, CYA, Photograph questionable items and dont be too fast. Safety first.

I was one of those young 30 sph guys when I first hired on. I came over from UPS. It's expected of you there. Sure enough they eventually expected me to do it here. Where did it get me? No where. It's taken me 5 to 6 years of gradually slowing down to get them to realize I'm only going to do 16 dollars an hour worth of work. I still get it done but I do it exactly by the book and safely. There's not a damn thing they can do about it. No running, no speeding, and absolutely no falsifying. I write everything down, I make copys of everything I sign, I make notes on everything I sign. Managers hate me for it. Couriers at FedEx have no representation. There's no one watching your back. Finish your schooling and leave. I've been here 7 years and am only making a dollar and some change more than when I started. Get out while you can.

HomeDelivery

so Day, are you regretting going from Brown to Purple? just curious... if you were doing that many SPORH, you would have made way more than $16/hour on the HD side (but of course no bennies)