Welp question ...I'm such a newby

NeedArealJob

Soooo I work at a hub where we show up at 545am on Monday. And the rest of the week, 530.

I heard about the ficticious 3.5hrs we are suppose to get, but no one gets it in our hub unless your the guy who does the customer counter. I don't know the ground rules are but is that "cool" for them to do? Or is it against some type of union rules?
Denying people their 3.5?

We cram the belt everyday, people get overwhelmed and missload constantly. Just so we can hurry up and be done. I know its the supervisors job to be cost effective but since I've worked there id say the avg is about 4,5 missloads a day which isn't good I hear. Seems counter productive to me.

Wouldnt it be better to start at like 5? 515, so we can make sure trucks are loaded properly? And we aren't doing small sort going as fast as possible while drivers are doing there morning meeting???

I dunno. I'm fine with what I get. 3hrs a day, maybe 3 and some change because I'm able to do more than one thing.

Is it like this at every hub? This, get in-get out mentality??

Cementups

Box Monkey
You start at 5:30am and are completely wrapped by 8:00 am? You are AMAZING and I want you to load my truck.

Demand your 3.5 hours and if they force you home then document it and file a grievance and get paid. You are guaranteed 3.5 hours whether they like it or not. If you voluntarily go home, you give up that guarantee.

FOLLOWS THE METHODS

Well i'd disagree with cementups first comment please don't load mine i like a decent load =). yes you are guaranteed the time but how they get around it is to get you to agree to go home volluntarily. Documentation and grievances are the way to go agreed. squeaky wheel gets the oil.

NeedArealJob

Hm good points. They don't voluntarily get us to go home...they tell/demand people go l...unless that's one in the same.

I'm not a truck loader but I feel for them because of the heavy flow which leads to misloads. And management seem to be ok with it? Always threaten to do warning letters and write-ups but never do.

I'm afraid to file anything. I hear so many people that say it will turn the sups against you etc..etc. I think that's why no one has said anything at our hub, afraid of what they'll do. These sups are cool to me, but they can be very disrespectful to other ppl. They add to the pressure starting late.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You need to start requesting your 3.5 hr guarantee and get your co-workers to do the same. This will adjust the start time, slow the sort down and improve load quality.

NeedArealJob

I'm serious I've seen the list they made for one guy who complained about 3.5 and that was on there.

Our sup said something this morn about the 3.5 ..someone must of complained, she said she'd just have to cut ppl. And I think she's just talking...we just lost a guy to the nite shift and another is quitting. We're already short handed. Seems like a lose...lose to me. I need to get on the more shift.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You need to stand up and grow a set. Get your 3.5 whether you for it or not. If you let them scare you and bully you then you have lost and they have won. Don't let them win.

nystripe96

Just do your job and don't worry about anything . Demand your 3.5 if you want it. Only night I don't demand my 3.5 is Fri night

raceanoncr

I'm afraid to file anything. I hear so many people that say it will turn the sups against you etc..etc. I think that's why no one has said anything at our hub, afraid of what they'll do. These sups are cool to me, but they can be very disrespectful to other ppl. They add to the pressure starting late.

They'll get pissed and make you do something like clean toilets..

Not to be a smart-ass here, but if you're afraid to file, why are you posting on here? Sure filing WILL bring retribution but that is what FURTHER contract language is for, i.e.: HARASSMENT/THREATS, etc.

Sure, they'll get pissed. But aren't YOU pissed now? I say, "So what if they're pissed". They'll get over it if you keep demanding what is contractually yours, AND, they'll also respect you for the fact you are now working legally and expect them to do the same.

BUT, that also means that you and your co-workers ABSOLUTELY MUST WORK AS DIRECTED!!!!!!

Do not refuse work only to grieve it later. Do the work and grieve what is contractually wrong, LATER!!!

And, another question, here: What's wrong with cleaning toilets? Is that above you?

Again, don't mean to be a smart-ass here, but you're letting the company by-pass the contract because you are, well, SCARED?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
We cram the belt everyday, people get overwhelmed and missload constantly. Just so we can hurry up and be done.
Wouldnt it be better to start at like 5? 515, so we can make sure trucks are loaded properly? And we aren't doing small sort going as fast as possible while drivers are doing there morning meeting???

Is it like this at every hub? This, get in-get out mentality??

welcome to to UPS, good luck finding your Zen-spot, took me about 2 years

NeedArealJob

They'll get pissed and make you do something like clean toilets..

Not to be a smart-ass here, but if you're afraid to file, why are you posting on here? Sure filing WILL bring retribution but that is what FURTHER contract language is for, i.e.: HARASSMENT/THREATS, etc.

Sure, they'll get pissed. But aren't YOU pissed now? I say, "So what if they're pissed". They'll get over it if you keep demanding what is contractually yours, AND, they'll also respect you for the fact you are now working legally and expect them to do the same.

BUT, that also means that you and your co-workers ABSOLUTELY MUST WORK AS DIRECTED!!!!!!

Do not refuse work only to grieve it later. Do the work and grieve what is contractually wrong, LATER!!!

And, another question, here: What's wrong with cleaning toilets? Is that above you?

Again, don't mean to be a smart-ass here, but you're letting the company by-pass the contract because you are, well, SCARED?[/QUOTE]

Yup cleaning toilets is below me you mean. I'll clean a truck though. I here nite shift is offered extra busy work just to get their 3.5..Yup sure am scared. If we don't complain as a group it won't work. And the way these older guys act they don't care.

whiskers

Yup cleaning toilets is below me you mean. I'll clean a truck though. I here nite shift is offered extra busy work just to get their 3.5..Yup sure am scared. If we don't complain as a group it won't work. And the way these older guys act they don't care.

Of course it will work.

you: "I want my 3 and a half gurantee."
them: "OK" If not you can file and get paid for it anyways.

You know what, nevermind. I doubt you'll last another two months. As soon as it gets hot you'll go crying to momma about how it's too hot and you got sweat on your shirt... SUCK IT UP and scrub some toilets if you have to.

OldManAllowance

Demand your 3.5 gurantee. Grive it if you want. This will ensure that anyone under you will be laid off, dividing the work to the higher people. All lower seniority people get the rotten end of the stick. Instead, why not speak to your manager, see if there is something you can both agree om. If that dosn't work...grive.

NeedArealJob

Of course it will work.

you: "I want my 3 and a half gurantee."
them: "OK" If not you can file and get paid for it anyways.

You know what, nevermind. I doubt you'll last another two months. As soon as it gets hot you'll go crying to momma about how it's too hot and you got sweat on your shirt... SUCK IT UP and scrub some toilets if you have to.[/QUOTE]

Goodness...shuuuuuuuttttt uuuuupppp daaaaamnnnn ill last as long as I want....lol

Already been 5 months....jeez you ppl are ridiculous, borderline a-holes