'We're getting flat out hammered right now.' UPS employees on working during the pandemic

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
'We're getting flat out hammered right now.' UPS employees on working during the pandemic - CNN

At UPS, the most frantic time of year is typically around the winter holidays. Then things level off. But these days, as the coronavirus pandemic spurs American households and businesses to buy almost everything online, the deliveries have seemed relentless.

Online sales data and anecdotal evidence from employees we spoke to show the volume of packages handled has significantly increased. That has many UPS (UPS) workers putting in long, physically exhausting hours while, at the same time, taking extra precautions to protect themselves from infection.

"I'm working more than I ever have in almost 24 years at UPS," Jack Warren, a UPS delivery driver based out of Providence, Rhode Island, tells CNN. Warren is also a union steward and is in charge of the safety committee at his facility. He says the team spends extra time cleaning "handrails, doorknobs, some of the machinery," including the trucks and forklifts. Drivers, who walk into dozens of public spaces a day, also carry paper towels and cleaning spray, he said.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Anyone else get the message about turning in leads for small businesses that are concerned about cash flow? UPS has a plan to help with the recovery. That plan entails harassing drivers to squeeze every last ounce of production out of them possible to bank roll the credit they will extend, then reap the profits when they get paid back with interest. Then they will keep the harassment going to reward the drivers for their tireless efforts. And still make them wait months to get new uniforms.