We're hosed!

Nolimitz

Been dealing with a30 year record snow fall all week. Freight is getting rolled left and right. MEM did not show today at all. All hands on deck for Sat operations...... FUBAR!
Most trucks don't have chains, cant buy any with out Dist. approval first. City doesn't have plowing equipment, County if trying but way behind. like I said were HOSED!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Been dealing with a30 year record snow fall all week. Freight is getting rolled left and right. MEM did not show today at all. All hands on deck for Sat operations...... FUBAR!
Most trucks don't have chains, cant buy any with out Dist. approval first. City doesn't have plowing equipment, County if trying but way behind. like I said were HOSED!
Good luck and be safe.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Ugh, Jack Frost is nipping at our area Saturday ... Never had to deal with tire chains. I'm packing a tow strap and my ice cleats tonight.

This is my first experience in a rural area. Most of my previous routes were in dense suburbia and ghetto cities.

So it's gonna be fun running around in shorts while the white stuff falls.... whee!

Canada, take Jack Frost and keep him up thurr.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

FedEx is always prepared for all circumstances. I feel your pain because our district has the same problems. Every common-sense item you need for bad weather must be approved...as you said. We have CTV tractors that sit for days waiting for a headlight, because the mechanics aren't allowed to stock them and must order them from Memphis. Chains? Sorry, but if you don't have any, I'm not driving the rig. Most of our drivers (RTDs), don't even know how to "hang iron", so they go out and get stuck, requiring either a tow ($$$$) or a rescue crew of someone who actually knows how to hang chains.

Smart, very smart.

OrioN

Whew we are shut down for this Saturday... I gotta move my truck off the street for the plows.

good luck out there delivering air mail

whenIgetthere

FedEx is always prepared for all circumstances. I feel your pain because our district has the same problems. Every common-sense item you need for bad weather must be approved...as you said. We have CTV tractors that sit for days waiting for a headlight, because the mechanics aren't allowed to stock them and must order them from Memphis. Chains? Sorry, but if you don't have any, I'm not driving the rig. Most of our drivers (RTDs), don't even know how to "hang iron", so they go out and get stuck, requiring either a tow ($$$$) or a rescue crew of someone who actually knows how to hang chains.

Smart, very smart.

Heard about a station near us where there are no spares. Three trucks had major breakdowns this week, and district told them no rentals, deal with it. Purple promise, sure!!

OrioN

Respect to those CDL~A tractor trailer drivers... you have to deal with soo many Massholes on top of controlling that rig in severe weather.

I wasn't fazed at my skills on snow n icy roads on Friday, it's all those crappy "zip a Dee doo dah" @holes that makes it more challenging.

dezguy

Ugh, Jack Frost is nipping at our area Saturday ... Never had to deal with tire chains. I'm packing a tow strap and my ice cleats tonight.

This is my first experience in a rural area. Most of my previous routes were in dense suburbia and ghetto cities.

So it's gonna be fun running around in shorts while the white stuff falls.... whee!

Canada, take Jack Frost and keep him up thurr.
Nah, we like to share. We have enough of the white stuff, you peeps can take some.

BootsOnTarmac

Sounds like a "Perfect Storm" scenario. When Ops Managers fail to provide adequate measures to provide safety, equipment, manpower, etc. to meet service, they should be called to task. When Memphis calls they will pucker up, pass the buck, and make excuses for the service failures. We all hope the fallout will be beneficial to the front line employees, but I doubt it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sounds like a "Perfect Storm" scenario. When Ops Managers fail to provide adequate measures to provide safety, equipment, manpower, etc. to meet service, they should be called to task. When Memphis calls they will pucker up, pass the buck, and make excuses for the service failures. We all hope the fallout will be beneficial to the front line employees, but I doubt it.

Weather is "An Act of God", which is the excuse that FedEx will use, as always, for dropping the ball.

Nolimitz

Follow up: Comedy of errors!
Belt start 0815. rescan all rolled freight from earlier in the week. Fri MEM freight was dropped at another location yesterday... picked it u this am in north bum friend... and flown in at 10:40. Left the building at 12:00. Get to my first stop and the RFID tag wont open any door to get to the :censored2:e in the rear. RTB, mechanic has never seen this happen (of course). Clears all data errors with the computer and all is good
Get back to my first stop at 13:00. Starts snowing like a MFer.. Complete 18 stops and at 14:30 get a message to RTB ASAP due to weather conditions. It really was a good call from our acting SM as defrosters would not keep up with the ice on windshield. Home safe and sound and digging out the home front.
We may suspend Mon. operations if conditions persist.

OrioN

OP, if u were on HD opco, u would have earned $18~28 before taxes for all those hours at the circus... glad we had smart terminal managers to shut it down for Saturday.

It's still below freezing still so the white dandruff from Jack Frost is not too heavy to shovel off my driveways and sidewalk.

We're going in on Monday to take up the slack,, not too bad since we're not behind on incoming freight. Most temps are coming in also to help since the rentals are still on the parking lot since Xmas eve...

Nolimitz

What part of the country???
this part
snow.jpg

OrioN

While ground and HD gets hosed in pay for the same situation....blah!

As I'm digging out the driveways and sidewalk on a Sunday, I noticed usps, Lasership, and Amazon drivers on the road... none had tire chains or cables.

Sorta glad I didn't make the lateral move to one of those delivery companies yet. I know at least usps are getting hourly rate or are they the pt crew getting a per diem rate too?

Slightly derail, we're already at "H" ??? This is the 2nd snowstorm in my area... I'll Google it later to see the previous ones after I dig out my BUDGET, err FedEx truck from a nearby parking lot

McFeely

Huge Member
While ground and HD gets hosed in pay for the same situation....blah!

Like I said in another thread...you should switch to UPS or Express at least and start earning overtime and at least some benefits dude. Express may not have the pay/bennies of UPS but sure sounds a helluva lot better than you're getting with G/HD.