What advice would you give somebody just starting out at UPS?

trickpony1

Always, always make sure your check is the correct time that you worked.
The company has an annoying habit of making "human errors" on your paycheck.
It's been happening for years.

Financially helping.

Commercial Inside Release

Before you start with UPS, be sure you are living where you want to settle down. Or, at least stay part-time, so you can transfer where you want to live, if you decide to make a career of it.

Be polite, respectful and as professional as possible with management, but keep them at arms length. They may act like it, but they are definitely NOT your pals. They will throw you under the bus on a whim, and enjoy doing it!

Join the union, because the bosses will come after you at some point, eventually.

If possible, figure out what type, level and form of respect you want from your union brothers and strive to establish & maintain it throughout your career.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
If you are just starting out now I would advise you to spend what time you can spare looking for a job you can move on to after you are laid off (for good) after Christmas.

clean hairy

Join the union.
Get a contract book, and learn it.
That way you know what your rights are.
Otherwise management will tell you what they think your rights are.
If management says they have to speak to you about an "issue" demand a steward!

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
If you're in a relationship, be sure to spend quality time with your partner when and as often as you can. Ups drivers have a very high divorce rate. We are worked hard, and it's easy to bring that stress home. Learn to leave that stress at the door.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I've been here over 30 yrs. I'd hate to know I had to start over today considering the crap we deal with these days. Ups just continues to create more problems with every "upgrade" that only complicates a pretty simple job. In my center, if you do it by the book and do it right, you are a troublemaker. The half ass runners get away with anything, including accidents. It's purely about numbers now, and the easiest way to get them. No integrity or morals in management anymore.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
I've been here over 30 yrs. I'd hate to know I had to start over today considering the crap we deal with these days. Ups just continues to create more problems with every "upgrade" that only complicates a pretty simple job. In my center, if you do it by the book and do it right, you are a troublemaker. The half ass runners get away with anything, including accidents. It's purely about numbers now, and the easiest way to get them. No integrity or morals in management anymore.
That's disturbing and depressing. I hope you have enough time in to leave soon.
Be safe #1. Work efficiently. And try not to whine too much. :chaseups:
Sounds like something people with common sense shouldn't need to be told?