What are my options when management starts cutting my route? Atlantic supplement

onehandsolo

Hi... I have been a full time driver for twenty years... On the same route for 15 years.. Several times over the last few months I recieved phone calls from my sup 1 hour before start time telling me my run has been cut... I am starting to worry that this may start occuring more often as we head into summer.. My center has already permantely cut several runs over the last few years(mostly caused by production gains not volume lost)...the drivers affected were lower seniority... I have seniority over 75% of the drivers in my center... Was wondering what my rights were as far as bumping other drivers... I do not mind being laid of 1 day a week but after that I will need to work..

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Re: What are my options when management starts cutting my route? Atlantic supplemen

Hi... I have been a full time driver for twenty years... On the same route for 15 years.. Several times over the last few months I recieved phone calls from my sup 1 hour before start time telling me my run has been cut... I am starting to worry that this may start occuring more often as we head into summer.. My center has already permantely cut several runs over the last few years(mostly caused by production gains not volume lost)...the drivers affected were lower seniority... I have seniority over 75% of the drivers in my center... Was wondering what my rights were as far as bumping other drivers... I do not mind being laid of 1 day a week but after that I will need to work..

The language will be in your local supplement and without knowing your area, I don't think anyone can help you directly.

By taking one day a week off, you're shooting yourself in the foot, it sounds like.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Re: What are my options when management starts cutting my route? Atlantic supplemen

They are doing this everywhere. Working conditions. When will the union listen?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is also happening in my center. We have one driver who we jokingly refer to as being on the one day a week plan as her run is cut more days than it is on. The joke unfortunately will be on her when it comes time for retirement as she may not have enough hours.

The OP does have rights under the NMA and his supplement to bump lower seniority drivers. It is not ideal but is all part of working in a union environment. If it were me I would be working every day, whether on my area or by bumping another driver or inside the building, to get my hours.

menotyou

bella amicizia

At my center, the on-car calls you to tell you your route is cut, but they already have contingencies in place for the rest of the drivers. The affected drivers basically know which route they will be bumping down through the seniority ranks. They spread around the days off so no one is being forced to go without work. On-car can always find someone who wants the day off. But, the practice itself is wrong. Volume isn't down. Stops per car is up. That is not a viable way to cut a route, as I read the contract. Someone should be grieving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At my center, the on-car calls you to tell you your route is cut, but they already have contingencies in place for the rest of the drivers. The affected drivers basically know which route they will be bumping down through the seniority ranks. They spread around the days off so no one is being forced to go without work. On-car can always find someone who wants the day off. But, the practice itself is wrong. Volume isn't down. Stops per car is up. That is not a viable way to cut a route, as I read the contract. Someone should be grieving.

A simple solution would be not to answer the phone and to report to work each day and to exercise his rights under the contract. He has the right to work every day, whether it be on road or in the hub.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Atlantic Area Supplement, Art. 48, Section 6.
When your area is eliminated you can bump any junior driver in your center.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

This is specifically adressed in every supplement. All YOU have to do is follow and enforce YOUR contract. YOU are the Union.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

The company has the right to put in or take out as many route as they want, there is nothing in the contract saying different. The problem becomes whan drivers come in early to load or sort their trucks, skip lunches or breaks, run, don't follow the methods and don't file the 9.5 grievances. All these things combined make it possible for the company to increase stops per car and reduce routes. If you have people in your building doing any of these things thats where you need to start!!

menotyou

bella amicizia

I have til I was blue in the face. No one listens. Then they bitch about the situation they are helping to cause. Like I said, I have bitched. We have one lady who comes in at 7:45 to help for free on preload. She won't listen. Mangers won't stop her. Now what?

menotyou

bella amicizia

This is specifically adressed in every supplement. All YOU have to do is follow and enforce YOUR contract. YOU are the Union.

I am not the only one in the union. Where are my BA's? The union needs to stand together, not come up with excuses as to why I have to do everything and they do nothing. I have the target on my back to prove all the standing up I have done. Where is my BA when I am being harassed? Why does he say an art 37 grievance is worthless, and don't bother filing? Why does he not let me file sups working grievances? I am alone and extremely sick of it. I know all to well how a union BA should act and I am not seeing it.

upserr1

every full timer is guaranteed 8 hours just go in and demand you work no matter what they give you as a route you do not have to clean restrooms

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

First thing first.

If you showed up on time on monday morning for the week, you are Automatically guaranteed 40 hours for the week. It does not matter if they cut your route on tues, wed, thurs,fri, they must still guarantee you 8 hours on the day the route is cut from dispatch. YOU must ask for that 8 hours or you will be considered "RED CIRCLED" or agreed to forfeit your guarantee.

NEVER ever accept the day off when they call. The company MUST provide a 24 hour notice when changing your start time (in the contract).

Your local rider should provide exact language for elimination of routes although, it may not be addressed. Remember, PAS and EDD did not exist during the last negotiations and most riders dont have ANTICIPATORY language in the "delivery area" sections of the riders.

The NATIONAL agreement does not address the unintended consequences of edd/pas dispatching and this is something that has to be addressed in 2013 negotiations.

EDD/PAS is so different than the standard dispatching that we have been used to. In the past, splits were pulled and could only go 1 or 2 cars to the right or left. Today, an entire truck can be pulled and split to 4 different pens, making it easier for the company to eliminate routes.

By a simple push of a button, work can be diverted to several different cars on different pens. All drivers must INSIST on 8 hours when their routes are cut, and although its easier to take the day off, we must hold the company to our guarantees or the process will continue to get out of hand.

In our rider, we are allowed to follow the "major portion of the original delivery area" when routes are cut. This is something that we negotiated into our rider in 1997. As a Driver myself, while an executive officer and a business agent, we created ANTICIPATORY language that addresses this process while the national ignored our complaints.

hall and the negotiating committee must take this issue seriously this time around, and create national language that provides protections for route drivers and a process that covers every aspect of route cuts from what happens to a displaced driver to what happens to the driver bumped. Seniority issues will arise is some cases and this is something that causes the most difficulty.

With EDD/PASS, there are delivery loops. Usually 5 cars tagged A, B, C, D, E.....

The B car is called BASELINE and all other cars in the loop are considered split cars. In the new process, a loop is given a number designation, like 67, so the routes would be known as 67a,67b,67c,67d,67e.

When cutting routes, work is reassigned to cars in the loop. So, lets say 67a was eliminated and its the senior driver in the center (30 years) , what should happen to him? Should he become the newest utility driver? Is that fair? How productive would he be doing something else in a completely different town or delivery area where he has no area knowledge?

In the new UPS system, work is only to be "cut" to cars in the loop, however, lately, UPS has been cutting work to other loops and this causes bigger problems.

On a daily basis, we need new language to address this change in operations.

Seniority shall prevail in every aspect of the daily operation and its confirmed in our national master agreement.

So, if the company "cuts" out a route on a single day or days, then in a delivery loop, the affected driver shall be allowed to follow the major portion of the original delivery area.

In the loop, 67a was cut and the work spread like this:

25% of 67a sent to 67c
25% of 67a sent to 67d
29% of 67a sent to 67e
21% of 67a sent to 67b

The affected driver would follow his work to 67b and that driver bumped, however, what if 67b was senior to the 67a driver?

In this case, the language should be be, "if one or more cars in a delivery loop are affected by area change after an elimination of a car for a day, the delivery loop shall be rebid for the day by loop seniority (5 drivers in the loop only) and lowest seniority driver moved to utility."

Protecting seniority is always a priority and although it seems complicated, it would help to prevent the company from doing this with any frequency.

In some cases, routes are cut to "punish" drivers that are not liked. We have made it tougher for them to do it, but its still being done.

Our contract isnt perfect, but it could be if addressed properly in 2013.

At the end of the day, YOU must ask for your guarantee when they call you no matter what and DO NOT take the day off.

Peace.

brett636

I have til I was blue in the face. No one listens. Then they bitch about the situation they are helping to cause. Like I said, I have bitched. We have one lady who comes in at 7:45 to help for free on preload. She won't listen. Mangers won't stop her. Now what?

My local has suggested filing on these people who work for free and ask to be paid for the time they work since management is letting them do it. I don't know where that will get you, but its a start.

stopcomplete

Page 44 of the national "The employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation" its their responsibility to stop this. Thats a place to start.

upserr1

first thing first.

If you showed up on time on monday morning for the week, you are automatically guaranteed 40 hours for the week. It does not matter if they cut your route on tues, wed, thurs,fri, they must still guarantee you 8 hours on the day the route is cut from dispatch. You must ask for that 8 hours or you will be considered "red circled" or agreed to forfeit your guarantee.

Never ever accept the day off when they call. The company must provide a 24 hour notice when changing your start time (in the contract).

Your local rider should provide exact language for elimination of routes although, it may not be addressed. Remember, pas and edd did not exist during the last negotiations and most riders dont have anticipatory language in the "delivery area" sections of the riders.

The national agreement does not address the unintended consequences of edd/pas dispatching and this is something that has to be addressed in 2013 negotiations.

Edd/pas is so different than the standard dispatching that we have been used to. In the past, splits were pulled and could only go 1 or 2 cars to the right or left. Today, an entire truck can be pulled and split to 4 different pens, making it easier for the company to eliminate routes.

By a simple push of a button, work can be diverted to several different cars on different pens. All drivers must insist on 8 hours when their routes are cut, and although its easier to take the day off, we must hold the company to our guarantees or the process will continue to get out of hand.

In our rider, we are allowed to follow the "major portion of the original delivery area" when routes are cut. This is something that we negotiated into our rider in 1997. As a driver myself, while an executive officer and a business agent, we created anticipatory language that addresses this process while the national ignored our complaints.

hall and the negotiating committee must take this issue seriously this time around, and create national language that provides protections for route drivers and a process that covers every aspect of route cuts from what happens to a displaced driver to what happens to the driver bumped. Seniority issues will arise is some cases and this is something that causes the most difficulty.

With edd/pass, there are delivery loops. Usually 5 cars tagged a, b, c, d, e.....

The b car is called baseline and all other cars in the loop are considered split cars. In the new process, a loop is given a number designation, like 67, so the routes would be known as 67a,67b,67c,67d,67e.

When cutting routes, work is reassigned to cars in the loop. So, lets say 67a was eliminated and its the senior driver in the center (30 years) , what should happen to him? Should he become the newest utility driver? Is that fair? How productive would he be doing something else in a completely different town or delivery area where he has no area knowledge?

In the new ups system, work is only to be "cut" to cars in the loop, however, lately, ups has been cutting work to other loops and this causes bigger problems.

On a daily basis, we need new language to address this change in operations.

Seniority shall prevail in every aspect of the daily operation and its confirmed in our national master agreement.

So, if the company "cuts" out a route on a single day or days, then in a delivery loop, the affected driver shall be allowed to follow the major portion of the original delivery area.

In the loop, 67a was cut and the work spread like this:

25% of 67a sent to 67c
25% of 67a sent to 67d
29% of 67a sent to 67e
21% of 67a sent to 67b

the affected driver would follow his work to 67b and that driver bumped, however, what if 67b was senior to the 67a driver?

In this case, the language should be be, "if one or more cars in a delivery loop are affected by area change after an elimination of a car for a day, the delivery loop shall be rebid for the day by loop seniority (5 drivers in the loop only) and lowest seniority driver moved to utility."

protecting seniority is always a priority and although it seems complicated, it would help to prevent the company from doing this with any frequency.

In some cases, routes are cut to "punish" drivers that are not liked. We have made it tougher for them to do it, but its still being done.

Our contract isnt perfect, but it could be if addressed properly in 2013.

At the end of the day, you must ask for your guarantee when they call you no matter what and do not take the day off.

Peace.

i which you were my ba

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I did err in my example and i didnt catch it..before I posted it.

In the 67 loop example, the 67a driver whos route would be cut would be able to take the work of 67E and not 67b as I posted. It has the major portion of the original delivery area with 29%.

Sorry for the confusion.

Peace.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

The baseline route is the E route or highest letter, no?

onehandsolo

wow thanx for all the advice... The worse part to me is not giving 24 hour notice. I could have spent the morning fishing with my 10 year old daughter