What are the first few steps of applying for FMLA?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
go to the site, fmla.gov, I believe it is. This way you do not have to wait for someone to get it for you. Take it immediately to your doctor, they must sign, then submit. Make sure you also apply for intermittent leave, which will last one yr, which leaves you free to take off any unexpected days, without retaliation for appointments etc, which cannot be foreseen. CYA. Good Luck, hope all is well.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Call 1-855-877-4772 to request leave. They can either snail mail or e-mail the paperwork to you depending on how soon you want to start FMLA. Once your medical provider fills out the forms just fax them back to HR and you should be good to go. Be prepared to lose any vacation or personal and/or sick days you have remaining.

Indecisi0n

I hope everything is alright.

I hope so to. Just been dealing with some medically things that have been making work unbearable. I do my best to fight through it and haven't missed any time but with the way our center is running I am getting zero relief. The 55+ hrs a week is starting to really take a toll on my body (in its current state). I know I will qualify for FMLA but it was always my last option. I never been on it and just want to go about it the right way.

Thank you again for the kind words.

Ghost in the Darkness

Call HRC.... someone above posted the number. They will get information from you and tell you what you need to do. It can't hurt after that let your local HR and your supervisor know what is going on too... not necessarily all the details but that you need to take FMLA leave.

If you have an HR person try them or any of the options mentioned. As Toonces mentioned apply for Intermittent. It will allow you to take ANY increment of time you need down to minutes. If you take a day or any amount of time that reduces your work day to less than 8 hours ( half day,etc) the FMLA time used comes out of your "bank" of hours. If you work 8 (the contracted guarantee) or more and then leave then the amount of FMLA time used does NOT come out of your "bank".
You are allowed to save a week of vaca if YOU choose. Usually it's the option week,at least here, but can be any. Here our mgmt team pays you for a FMLA day out of available vacation time but we are still allowed to take the day unpaid when it comes if we choose. Their theory is that the vaca was earned from the previous years work hours and under they law cannot be taken from the driver. If we choose we can work that day also.
If you can try and give mgmt a heads up that you are taking some FMLA time so they can plan around you. It's a courtesy on your part as it is not required under the law. If circumstances come up and you have to leave then you have to leave. Tell them FMLA and that's it.

Good luck.

Indecisi0n

Can't thanks you guys enough for the info. I spoke to my HR women and I have come to the conclusion she is either and idiot or just not very informed. She told me I can't use FMLA if I have a medical condition. LOL. Well now I know to just call that number.

Now is that number a UPS number or separate FMLA number? Do I tell them all the medical issues I have and such and let them know I need intermediate FMLA? I don't need log stretches of days off but if I feel really bad just need a few days here and there to bounce back.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You have to call corporate/regional Human Resources and they start the process. Local HR is utterly useless in this regard and pretty much everything else, other than stopping United Way contributions.

They send the FMLA forms for you to have your doc fill out. Also -- just so you know -- when you make that call, your FT Supervisor/On-Car Supervisor will receive an e-mail from corporate telling them that you've begun the FMLA process and another e-mail if it's approved or denied.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
UPS and FMLA, disability, workmans comp....just the WORST company to deal with. Best bet is to hire an attorney (like I did) and relax. The new FMLA process is jmo to make the process more difficult or the affected person, so people don't go out as easily. It's insanity guised as technology.

Can't thanks you guys enough for the info. I spoke to my HR women and I have come to the conclusion she is either and idiot or just not very informed. She told me I can't use FMLA if I have a medical condition. LOL. Well now I know to just call that number.

Now is that number a UPS number or separate FMLA number? Do I tell them all the medical issues I have and such and let them know I need intermediate FMLA? I don't need log stretches of days off but if I feel really bad just need a few days here and there to bounce back.

All you need to tell the local person is that you need the paperwork, period. Your Dr will put all the technical stuff on paper and then you will send the sealed paperwork to the proper HR mgr. This info is just like any other HEPA covered medical info. It's no ones business other than you, your Dr, and the Hr mgr.
you should know that since the FMLA is for you UPS can have you get an IME from one of their Drs and possibly have you do an occasional follow up.
As far as you Ctr mgmt all you'd have to say to them if they inquire is that you've applied for FMLA,if even that much.

UPS and FMLA, disability, workmans comp....just the WORST company to deal with. Best bet is to hire an attorney (like I did) and relax. The new FMLA process is jmo to make the process more difficult or the affected person, so people don't go out as easily. It's insanity guised as technology.

Actually of all FMLA has been the easiest at least for me as with the new driving laws it's backed by the Feds. The last time I had any prob with a area sup I blew a call into HR and let them know I'd be following up with the DOL once I got home. I had a return call from an HR mgr who had personally visited the problem sup and straightened him out before I left the building.

cynic

I avoided local HR and called the TFN on UPSers and did not have a single problem after my doctor completed the forms. As a PT unloader people wonder why I'm not getting written up and/or warning letters - frankly, it's none of their business what my medical issue is. Management does not hassle you if you have a medical necessity to take leave. Just do all the FMLA folks at UPS tell you to do regarding calling in to their separate TFN and entering your case number, date you're taking leave, and number of hours. Piece of cake, program it into your cell phone with pauses up to the part of the date and you'll thank yourself (and me?) later.

UPS Preloader

Once you have your paperwork completed you can also email it directly to them at * so that you have a paper trail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buck Fifty

As a conveinance for my guys, I keep FMLA paperwork on my computer. Give me your email and wah lah, you have paperwork. I will print for some of the technically challenged ones though. Keeps the company out of it a little longer and some of the confussion. Hope things go well Inde.