What area of the country has strongest union(s)?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You know, that union that got you industry leading pay, benefits and pension.

And all this with only a high school education and a valid driver's license.
No...He thinks that ups would still pay him the same wage if there was no union here..he's one of "those" guys...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You know, that union that got you industry leading pay, benefits and pension.

And all this with only a high school education and a valid driver's license.
I have both a 2 and 4 yr degree and 9 hours toward a Master's. I also have an Enhanced Driver's License.

Resident know-it-all.

I was only repeating one of your stock lines.

And, I'm happy for your educational credentials. I, too, have a degree as do many others on this forum.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Have a seat, Dave.

http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/get-enhanced-driver-license-edl

"What is an enhanced driver license (EDL)?

If you are a US citizen and NYS resident, you can apply for a NYS Enhanced Driver License (EDL) that can be used instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. 1 An EDL is not acceptable for air travel between these countries."

http://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They?
State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So I guess the customs folks were just being nice when they let me and my son drive up to Montreal last week---he used his passport and I used my EDL.

Resident know-it-all.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Unions as whole in my lovely Right to Work State are for the most part pretty weak BUT my local is very strong due to the membership and the Leaders we elect. Our president is a BEAST

Ouch

Have a seat, Dave.

http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/get-enhanced-driver-license-edl

"What is an enhanced driver license (EDL)?

If you are a US citizen and NYS resident, you can apply for a NYS Enhanced Driver License (EDL) that can be used instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. 1 An EDL is not acceptable for air travel between these countries."

http://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They?
State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.
:likeit:Maybe upstate should go ahead and :whiteflag:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So I guess the customs folks were just being nice when they let me and my son drive up to Montreal last week---he used his passport and I used my EDL.

Resident know-it-all.
You're still not reading it. They're talking about by air.

Mexico and Canada aren't the ones who started requiring the passport to cross the border by the way. That's a US thing that we started around 2009.

The enhanced license takes the place of the passport except when flying.

WESLA

It is what it is
I literally had a 14 year PT'er flip out on me and say he "didn't care" about supervisors working because he "doesn't want to do that work anyway." All of this came about because I asked him why he was working off the clock.

The vast majority of the workforce (PT or FT) in my area just wants to punch in, do their job, and go home. They only care about the union if they're being disciplined/fired. A big chunk of that group would prefer to only punch in a bare minimum of days for a bare minimum of hours. All that being said, there's enough people that want the hours and want to punch management in the nuts that it still makes it worth it to be active instead of just a bystander.
"Those that have the most to lose, are willing to do the least to prevent it's happening"
Or something like that. And time repeats itself.
I could elaborate a couple of paragraphs on this. I agree though, you don't need 100 % for it to be worth it, as long as you are paying your dues that's fine with me, I'm a steward on my shift and will take care of the rest. And lead the best I can.
Old timers are disgusted, middle aged upsers are spoiled, and most pters don't care.

ArcherUTR

I was only repeating one of your stock lines.

And, I'm happy for your educational credentials. I, too, have a degree as do many others on this forum.

Yes, I too have a degree from a school that I am proud of. But that has very little to do with my job now that has nice pay and benefits that are negotiated for me.

browntroll

in my hub we have ppl willing to file but not willing to actually do the work, on the other hand
we have ppl that will let sups work because they want to leave early and not paint a target on themselves.