What can I do now?

Magnus

If you want to get a PT job with UPS go to www.upsjobs.com and look for openings in your area then apply. Don't think becasue they hired you for peak that you have a in with a SUP to get a pt job becasue you don't.

I also like how you know why they didn't hire you. Companies including UPS don't tell applicants why they didn't get hired becasue they open themselves up the lawsuits. If there was an opening you weren't the only one to get interviewed they could have choosen someone else or staffing could have changed and they decided not to fill a PT position right now.
I do know, because they DID tell me because I DID manage to get a hold of HR, and as I've said, I have another Manager helping me out with this, and who said he would hire me back inside in a second. Fact is, this HR guy did lie to me, there was a position open, and because he screwed up my information and we couldn't correct his error in time, he decided it was too much work to correct his mistake and get me back in for Orientation. People don't like to admit or to correct their own mistakes, and that's what cost me this opportunity. Either it was an honest mistake, or it was deliberate.

Besides that, it is discrimination to not hire somebody just because they may or may not be in school. Last I checked, classes aren't held from midnight to 3 in the morning. And anyway, I'm not in school. That's also falsification on my application, not by my doing. His reasons for not hiring me were untruithful, unfounded and outright wrong.

My question is, why would anyone want to work for a company that clearly doesn't have enough integrity to honor a verbal contract?
If you have to fight this hard to get a job, then you are in for one long battle once you get the job.

You know, this is California where I'm at here, there ARE NO OTHER JOBS out there. NONE. Frankly, most companies today don't want to hire anybody who isn't a minority, or who is legal and who they can't screw over or pay under the table, which I am none of. That is why I am fighting this so hard, but maybe that's hard for people with solidified jobs and careers to understand right now.

As for everybody else, I really don't care about the petty BS that Management likes to shovel down the ladders to all employees, that's fine with me - I'll take it with the good, honestly doesn't get to me. In a perfect world, no jobs would bite the biscuit, but this is reality and just about every job sucks specifically because of the "man", but UPS is one of the few companies where you don't get stuck doing medial tasks you hate forever and where you can actually advance and have a pretty sweet deal after putting in the time and working hard for it, and maybe that makes me stupid because that's fine with me and I'm willing to go through this and all of that and actually like it and not let it get to me or make me give up on this, but frankly I don't care about your opinions on my personal feelings over this. I really don't, and that's not what I was asking help with here.

This is supposed to be a place where we can talk civilly and where we're supposedly able to get help - without the jeering. I didn't come in here to be your guy's punching bag. So if you don't feel like seriously offering any constructive help, advice or opinions, then please just move on and let somebody else who is willing to help handle it.

Thanks.

Overpaid Union Thug

I do know, because they DID tell me because I DID manage to get a hold of HR, and as I've said, I have another Manager helping me out with this, and who said he would hire me back inside in a second. Fact is, this HR guy did lie to me, there was a position open, and because he screwed up my information and we couldn't correct his error in time, he decided it was too much work to correct his mistake and get me back in for Orientation. People don't like to admit or to correct their own mistakes, and that's what cost me this opportunity. Either it was an honest mistake, or it was deliberate.

Besides that, it is discrimination to not hire somebody just because they may or may not be in school. Last I checked, classes aren't held from midnight to 3 in the morning. And anyway, I'm not in school. That's also falsification on my application, not by my doing. His reasons for not hiring me were untruithful, unfounded and outright wrong.

You know, this is California where I'm at here, there ARE NO OTHER JOBS out there. NONE. Frankly, most companies today don't want to hire anybody who isn't a minority, or who is legal and who they can't screw over or pay under the table, which I am none of. That is why I am fighting this so hard, but maybe that's hard for people with solidified jobs and careers to understand right now.

As for everybody else, I really don't care about the petty BS that Management likes to shovel down the ladders to all employees, that's fine with me - I'll take it with the good, honestly doesn't get to me. In a perfect world, no jobs would bite the biscuit, but this is reality and just about every job sucks specifically because of the "man", but UPS is one of the few companies where you don't get stuck doing medial tasks you hate forever and where you can actually advance and have a pretty sweet deal after putting in the time and working hard for it, and maybe that makes me stupid because that's fine with me and I'm willing to go through this and all of that and actually like it and not let it get to me or make me give up on this, but frankly I don't care about your opinions on my personal feelings over this. I really don't, and that's not what I was asking help with here.

This is supposed to be a place where we can talk civilly and where we're supposedly able to get help - without the jeering. I didn't come in here to be your guy's punching bag. So if you don't feel like seriously offering any constructive help, advice or opinions, then please just move on and let somebody else who is willing to help handle it.

Thanks.

Just do what I said and keep applying. When I failed to get hired the first two out of three times I went down there (we had to apply in person and not online back then) I started to take it personal. To be honest I didn't really want to work at UPS that badly at first but then I was determined not to get turned down for a job that mostly consisted of manual labor. I was still young and didn't understand, or care, about turnover rates and I had been a job hopper prior to then. So, it made since that I was turned down at first but I refused to give up and was hired at the third interview. The same guy (HR Rep) had interviewed and turned me down the prior two times. Back then people could apply and be interviewed on the spot but those days are gone. And so is that HR Rep. He was fired for fudging numbers years back. Ironic huh?

but UPS is one of the few companies where you don't get stuck doing medial tasks you hate

Dude,that is funnier than you think! Just ask any guy loading the same trailer every night,sorting the same belt,running the same package route,the same feeder route.
Now I hope you actually do get the job so that in twenty years or so you can look back on that statement and say "*** was I smoking?"

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just do what I said and keep applying. When I failed to get hired the first two out of three times I went down there (we had to apply in person and not online back then) I started to take it personal. To be honest I didn't really want to work at UPS that badly at first but then I was determined not to get turned down for a job that mostly consisted of manual labor. I was still young and didn't understand, or care, about turnover rates and I had been a job hopper prior to then. So, it made since that I was turned down at first but I refused to give up and was hired at the third interview. The same guy (HR Rep) had interviewed and turned me down the prior two times. Back then people could apply and be interviewed on the spot but those days are gone. And so is that HR Rep. He was fired for fudging numbers years back. Ironic huh?
You sure about that? I heard he just got transferred to the Desert Mountain District :wink2:

softshoe

Ok, so… I have put in two Peaks with UPS and was given a verbal contract

So what should I or could I do? A verbal contract is still a contract, legally. And they also state that all Peak hires get precedence over others who have never worked for them a day in their lives (also a verbally binding contract) and I know I was one of very few who had more than 1 Peak under their belts, meaning I have more company seniority (basically).

Let Judge Judy settle this. I bet the show woluld be just as silly as your post,