What changes are you looking for in the 2013 contract?

stink219

Just curious as to what Articles full time drivers would like to see changed. Add specifics. Not just "9.5". How would you change the language?

Delivered

For Pkg Car Drivers, any/all hours worked past 9.5 will be paid at Double time automatically. No grievance to file or list to sign up. Year round no exclusions for peak/ or emergency conditions.

nicky

I want the 9.5 rule taken down to 9 hours. There are guys that want the hours let them opt out and let me get home so Im not eating dinner at 8:30.
(If we cant get 9.0)Excessive overtime, if a driver goes over 9.5 for the third time in a week all hours over 8 for the week will be paid at double time.
I think if a PT cover driver accumulates the hours a full time driver needs for pension then the PT should receive a full time pension credit.
Company needs to provide socks.
8 hour day violations should be payed at 2 hours regular pay plus triple time for all hours worked over 8.

As you can see Im tired of the company breaking the rules laid out in the contract because teh penalties arent prohibitive

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I want a contract good for 37 years.

Not a problem. The Company buys the length of the contract, so 37 years would equal $37 over the live of the agreement. I'd keep it simple and just do $1 per year or $0.50 if they still want the split raise.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
104Feeder; said:
Not a problem. The Company buys the length of the contract, so 37 years would equal $37 over the live of the agreement. I'd keep it simple and just do $1 per year or $0.50 if they still want the split raise.

Seriously? A dollar raise now doesn't even keep up with average inflation at the end of that 37 years the dollar raise would do nothing for anyone. I think our raises should be percentage based as opposed to dollars and cents.

Brownslave688

I feel for the OP he asked very specifically how to reply and not one person has mentioned an article or how they would change the language. This has just turned into another what do u want in 2013 thread.

Oh by the way we made a billion more dollars in the second quarter.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Seriously? A dollar raise now doesn't even keep up with average inflation at the end of that 37 years the dollar raise would do nothing for anyone. I think our raises should be percentage based as opposed to dollars and cents.

Currently inflation is only 1.7% and $1/hr is almost a 3% raise. Historically, $1/hr is the best you're going to get. You get to decide your actual raise by the amount of hours you work. Most annual wage increases have been under $1/hr.

My response was only slightly tongue-in-cheek to Hoaxster. The Company does buy the length of the contract, which is why you saw $4 over the last 5 year agreement. Contrast that to 1990 when a 3 year agreement only produced a $0.50 raise. I'll take the buck thanks.

I wouldn't get too greedy as far as you wage goes. We are paid pretty well and if we get into the excessive category it will just be used against us. Witness the backlash against UAW workers that in many cases make less than we do per hour. By the same token, the fact that the Company is willing to pay anyone triple time, ~$90/hr to do the exact same work says to me that you could make the argument we are underpaid. Problem is that gets hidden via the grievance payout method. At straight time that would make this an $187k/yr job and that is going to be a tough sell to say the least.

Brownslave688

Historically inflation is 3.5 percent yes it fluctuates greatly from year to yeah 4 years from now it could be 8 percent and if we take a 1% raise we would much less buying power than we do now. $1 is a mental barrier that's it and if we don't break thru that barrier for yearly raises at some point us younger guys are not going to have near the great paying job we have now. Most everyone doubles their pay throughout their career need to start looking at this in percentages not in dollar amounts. Most people say on I started making 40k a year and ended making 80k so the next guy should start at 80k and end at 120k. No the guy should end at 160k. Just 30 years ago a dollar raise would be unheard of now it doesn't cover average inflation things cost more year after year that's reality and people need to realize that.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I feel for the OP he asked very specifically how to reply and not one person has mentioned an article or how they would change the language. This has just turned into another what do u want in 2013 thread.

Oh by the way we made a billion more dollars in the second quarter.
Article 61 Section 4 of the Atlantic Area supplement has language detailing the amount of money that UPS will contribute to the pension fund. I want the language changed to make that amount bigger.

M

MenInBrown

The backlash on the UAW was because the auto industry was losing money...we are bringing in record profits and getting home later and later every night!!!

rocket man

a 4 day work week. have sat ground delivery to ressys not bussiness .and on sat pickups from ups stores have them pick up the grounds . and forget 9/5 list just give us double time.

Btaylor0016

Subcontracting our work to the post office...don't take away the whole post office just put a lid on it. It started out with just little bags, now am dropping off 30lbs to the post office. Thats our work, and we should do something about it.

iruhnman630

Stricter 9.5 language.

Twice in the last 2 weeks (Monday and last Thursday) myself and several others have walked out of the building close to or after 8 pm on days when several drivers were sent home.