What could ups do to get more fedex ground volume

Justaname

agreed. in my discussions with customers the main complaint is cost and service is almost even. i was told by a manager that our biggest selling point is service.
Working in customer service for a second job i agree. Consumers of products or service just want to know theyre getting what they pay for. Take care of the customers and business will stay.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

In todays business world, money seems more important than quality. It's why more people eat fast food or quick meals. Drivers complain about the worse service we offer because of the pressure put on us by UPS, but I think they are doing what the market will bear with the cheaper options out there, like FedEx ground or Ontrac. These companies do just enough to not offset their cheaper cost, and if they can get a customer to take a look, we arent getting them back with just superior service, because that doesn't necessarily pay the bills. Oh, they'll complain to me every time I deliver to them, but they don't come back.
a
About keeping basic packages: how much does each package cost UPS to deliver? I suppose the per package cost to have the post office deliver the final mile is cheaper than having UPS do it. I dont know the formula used to calculate this, but like the whole battle vs send-agains, I understand the logic, and don't see why the company would change.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

BTW, what could UPS(ers) do to take away business from FedEx Ground. Organize it, driver by driver, contractor by contractor, belt by belt, station by station. Guerilla-style. Would take much time, effort, and resources, but it's the best way.

Justaname

In todays business world, money seems more important than quality. It's why more people eat fast food or quick meals. Drivers complain about the worse service we offer because of the pressure put on us by UPS, but I think they are doing what the market will bear with the cheaper options out there, like FedEx ground or Ontrac. These companies do just enough to not offset their cheaper cost, and if they can get a customer to take a look, we arent getting them back with just superior service, because that doesn't necessarily pay the bills. Oh, they'll complain to me every time I deliver to them, but they don't come back.
a
About keeping basic packages: how much does each package cost UPS to deliver? I suppose the per package cost to have the post office deliver the final mile is cheaper than having UPS do it. I dont know the formula used to calculate this, but like the whole battle vs send-agains, I understand the logic, and don't see why the company would change.
S ups is where it is today because of our service. Drivers build relationships with customers. You will have your businesses that choose price over quality, but their customers want service and ups is the best in this business. If we lose focus on customer satisfaction we will lose business.

UPSGUY72

Biggest complaint I get from customers is sales reps telling the customer, "I'm giving you the best rates we can offer." Then a week later FedEx comes in a tells them that they can beat that and when customer calls UPS rep and tells them they will go FedEx the UPS rep tells them that they can do better. Well if that's the case, why lie the first time and tell them it's the best rate you can give them. I've lost a few customers for this reason.

The problem is that FED is willing to lose money with there teases rates in order to get business UPS isn't... I know a couple of business that switch to just shipping with UPS because FED EX teases rate where expiring.

UPSGUY72

Dual post in fedex discussions

I think we should have 3 shifts to cover air/ground/late pickups

FED EX gets away with all it's divisions because of low pay. Ask that independent ground driver how much he makes a week, whether he has a pension and about how good of health insurance he has....